1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Preamp Tubes comparison in a 5150 III

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by c_tecks, Mar 15, 2021.

1. c_tecks

c_tecks TDPRI Member

I've done a comparison using three different sets of preamp tubes.
    Now in this video I've switched the first three preamp tubes, which are used for channel 1 and 2 of the EVH 5150 III.

Channel 3 isn't used in this video (it uses preamp tubes 1,4, 5 and 6).

Does anyone have an idea what the "Mesa Chinese 1" tubes are?
    Couldn't find any info about those.

Anyway, what do you think of the difference in sound and what is your experience with replacing preamp tubes? As mentioned in the video, I think the difference is a bit overrated.
    Also would like to mention that the sound 'in the room' wasn't really different too.

I don't have a lot of experience with different tubes and I'm sure a lot of you have more experience with them, so I'd love to know if any of you have different experiences with them and did you have any (preamp) tubes that actually made a lot of difference in sound?

2. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

It is worth mentioning that the circuit used defines the amplification and frequency responses not the valve. The valves just reduce or increase the sensitivity, anode load lines and grid bias voltages. If the chosen valves are within the specification of the designer, the sound produced will be optimised for the designers preference. If however out of spec, (too high or too low a mU value or other such anomalies), the sound produced will not be as designed but may be prefered for the player or user.
    Chinesium 12AX7 vs Russian 12AX7 ... chalk and cheese in USSRs favour, everytime.
    Some JJs are USSR and fair very well, others are Chinesium and awful noise levels.
    Similar price to buy as well!

northernguitar likes this.
  3. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Is JJ no longer producing in the Czech Republic? When did that end?

4. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

JJ started production in Slovak Republic in 1993. Never was in the Czech Republic.

JJ moved some of the equipment formerly owned/used by TESLA from the former Czechoslovakia.

northernguitar likes this.
  5. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Duh on my part. Of course, it’s Slovakia. Have they moved shop from there?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.