1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Preamp and phase inverter on the same tube?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Che_Guitarra, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Tele-Holic

I'm looking to rehouse my 6G2 build. I built it as a head but would now prefer it to be a grab-and-go combo.

I only ever use the one input, thus i'm wasting one half of the V1 tube. And i'm not a tremolo user, so I built the amp without that segment of the circuit... thus i'm also wasting a half of the V2 tube.

Seems logical to delete a tube during rehousing.

Can I put the preamp and phase inversion triodes on the same tube, or is this likely to induce unforeseen problems?

I haven't built that many amps that I know the answer to this.

Thanks in advance :)

2. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

A 6G2 will have Gain > Vol/Tone > Gain > concertina. Looks like three stages without Tremolo. Does your 6G2 have two input stages?

I don't know how common it is in guitar amps, but it is done in HiFi. The Dynaco MKIII is a popular example, so I don't see any electrical problems with it. Many guitar amps share the concertina with the trem, so there is not much difference sharing with a preamp stage.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  3. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What you say doesn't add up, both inputs share the first gain stage, the signal path goes through 3 triode stages. Leaving the one out before the PI is not going to give you enough gain to get more than a weak drive to the power tubes. upload_2019-4-14_15-8-35.png

Wally likes this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

5. tubeswell

tubeswell Friend of Leo's

The cathodyne inverter is (only) capable of unity gain. So if you only had a single inverting triode and a cathodyne stage, all the preamp gain* would only be from the inverting triode, which is not enough to drive a 6V6 grid.

*You could try a cathodyne bootstrapped to V1 for more gain (as per the suggestion in Ch 7 of Merlin Blencowe's 1st pre-amp book) but then where would you put the volume control?

Attached Files:

6. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

As Wally points out, a single small signal pentode such as the EF86 set up for high gain would deliver enough drive perhaps....but that would be something to do when shifting from a combo to a head, not the other way around....unless you like a good howl.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a Gibson GA40 Les Paul amp that uses the 5879 in the input preamp stage.....no problem with microphonics.

8. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Tele-Holic

Oops! Right you are guys. I've tweaked the amp so many times in the past my memory is failing me!

I only have a single unused triode... LTPI conversion it is then!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.