Preacher's Brotherhood 2020 Deluxe Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Preacher, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

OK, I bit the bullet and decided to join in the fun. It has been almost four years since my last guitar build was finished.

I have been working on a current build which I plan to finish up as well in this stretch of self isolation. I will try to hit only the Thinline parts of this build on this thread but there may be some spillover.

So the inspiration is to have a Bigsby Deluxe tele with dual humbuckers or Thinline Tele with a humbucker bridge and a P90 neck. Something a little different than a typical Tele or a dual P90 guitar which I already have.

I decided years ago that the time sink of building a neck is prohibitive for me so I always keep my eyes out for good deals, so I had a number of necks in the shop ready to go. I may embark on a neck build soon (I have a hundred year old laminated beam that is screaming to be a neck through bass) but not on this build.

Almost twenty years ago I saved a couple of 1-9/16" thick tabletops from a restaurant. These were massive tops (30x72) and my plan was to make work benches out of them. They sat in my non temperature controlled shed for about 8 years where they were exposed to the temperature variations and never cracked, warped or showed any signs of distress. They made the move to Texas in 2013 and have served as a few guitar body blanks. The pine is super light weight and really resonant, and most important, free!

Since I did not have a Thinline template I needed to make one. I had an extra print from the Relicaster build ('56 Whiteguard) so I glued that to some template material and went to town. The old print has seen some better days but all of the right measurements are there although on a Thinline or Deluxe I am not going to be using all of them.

Spent a few minutes on the band saw and the ROSS and we end up with the template.
    I still need to get the recesses for the thinline shaped out but we are ready to cut a body.

IMG_2500.jpg

After getting the template made we can move onto cutting out the body. I happened to find the template for the P Bass as well, and that extra piece of material seemed to fit, so maybe we will have two builds working for 2020.

IMG_2521.jpg
    My Thinline design will consist of a pine body sandwiched between two faces, or a single thicker face of some material. The bodies are 1 9/16" thick so I don't need much to get to the full 1 3/4" thickness. As you can see I am planning on my own twist to the sound holes. I sketched in what I thought I wanted onto the body blank. Before I cut that template to make the cavities for the Thinline/Deluxe I need to make a template for my "dancing P" sound hole.

IMG_1179.JPG
    Body is rough cut on the band saw and coming in right about 3.5 pounds. Once I route out the innards it should be a sub 7 pound with all the bits and the neck. No need to worry about neck dive as that bigsby must weight three pounds by itself!

I found my neck stash up on a shelf, my plan is go with a seafoam green color on the strat I am building, so why not a Seafoam green Thinline to go with it? So for a Seafoam body, I think a nice dark rosewood fretboard would look good. Wouldn't you know it, I just happened to have one in both Bass and Tele lengths. The neck is a 2-3/16 (56MM) wide at the pocket, and right at 1.625 (42.5MM) at the nut, so we are within the standard Tele specs. And of course it is a 21 fret neck, not going to get flamed for putting a 22 fret neck on a Tele!

IMG_2522.jpg

I decided to do a little sketching on the body to get an idea of what I wanted. During this process I decided I wanted a non traditional F hole and decided to lean toward a Thinline design as I had most of the parts for that build on hand. You can see the area that I plan on hogging out.

IMG_2495.jpg

2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Now with the stay at home orders, and the layoffs there are a number of us that are being affected financially by the virus. I am one of those having taken a significant pay cut to keep my job until this thing lifts. Of course it is the age old adage, when you have the time, you don't have the money, and when you have the money, you don't have the time.

@RogerC posted a few days back about cleaning out some parts and passing them onto some others on this forum. On that post I happened to see @medownsouth (Matt) post some stratocaster pickups. On my Strat build those were the only parts that I did not have on hand. And with the current state of financial affairs I knew it would be a time before I would be able to purchase them. So I touched base and found that the pickups had already been spoken for, but Matt told me he had some tele parts I could have for this Thinline build. I was ecstatic to say the least.
    I offered to at least pay for the shipping, which Matt refused and then he told me he had came across some other items that I might be able to use and he would include them in the parcel. :)

Let me say this, I have learned so much on this forum and there is not a greater bunch of people on the interwebs! So I got a parcel on Friday and when I opened it I was surprised.
    First off, @medownsouth packages his free stuff better than the online people I buy from. Check this out.

IMG_2527.jpg
    IMG_2528.jpg

That is a loaded strat pick guard with Alinico pups, a dual rail Tele bridge bucker, and a couple of tele ceramic pups just in case. I should be able to use the strat pick ups in the Strat project as I already cut my own guard and I have the pots and switch to finish is up. And the Humbucker rail bridge pup will pair great with a P90 neck pup for the Thinline!

IMG_2529.jpg

3. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

So glowing in the generosity of people I headed off to the drill press to spend an hour hogging out some cavities.

It will take a little work with the template and the router but we have made good progress for day one. Still need to weigh this blank and pick a top but we are coming along.

IMG_2531.jpg

4. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Its a good start,
    and Medownsouth, your a good guy charlie brown.

Building two really qualifies as a 'Brotherhood' build.

5. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome Preacher! :D

6. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great to another joining! Great work.

Eric

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Welcome aboard. Can’t wait to see what you decide for the top and maybe back.

And kudos to medownsouth for following Rogers lead. Great generosity guys!

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Cool!

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. paulmarr

paulmarr Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Another thinline ... can’t wait!

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.