Preacher Movie Review : Thor, Love and Thunder

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Well ladies and germs, Preacher and the Mrs. went to the movies the other night and took in the latest Hemsworth/Waititi flick on the BIG screen (SDX with shaking seats and all, which I don't think shaked the entire film).
It was cheap movie night and since the wife and I am die hard Marvel fans we decided to take in the action.

As I previously said when I review movies, no spoilers and this is my opinion of this movie so take my review with a grain of salt.

We pick up the story after the events of Endgame when Thanos is defeated. Thor has joined the Guardians of the Galaxy and is flitting across the cosmos with the GOG fighting for the good of all creatures across universes, blah blah blah.

OK my thoughts on this flick (I will call it that as I would not call it a movie or a film, it is a flick and afterthought, an unconscious reaction to lint on your shirt). This is the probably the third best Thor movie in the four movie series. I rank Ragnarok, which was directed by Waititi, as the number one Thor movie followed by the original Thor and then this film ranked third with the Dark World movie being the worst of the bunch. After thinking about it, maybe I will list this movie and the Dark world movies 3A and 3B as they both kind of stunk. The Dark World brought in these ageless Elves which had no backstory even though it was worth telling, and this movie brought in Gorr the God Slayer who also suffered from not having a back story which was totally worth telling. The movie is thankfully just under 2 hours long so you won't feel totally bummed by wasting your entire evening, but when it ends you are thankful that they decided to end it when they did.

Lets get to the actors and, well the director.

Taika Waititi - woah you say! You are starting your review with the dude who plays Korg? Not with the big man Thor himself? Well, yes. Waititi who plays the rock creature Korg and who also directed the film gets the starting nod in this review. While I loved his previous Thor film (Ragnarok) in which he also played the comedic relief of Korg the Kronan, Waititi apparently has been reading too many of his previous press clippings and totally struck out with this film. The reason we loved Korg in the previous films was there was just enough of him and not too much of him. Korg is kind of like spicy seasoning when it comes to cooking, too little and the dish is bland, but too much and the dish is uneatable. There was just too much Korg in this flick, at one point I was like, "why are we talking about him?" He is the sidekick, the comedic relief and better seen and very seldom heard. But Waititi decided that Korg needed to be more centered in this movie and the movie suffered for it. That is not to mention the directorial responsibilities he has where he took a story that could have been so much more and made it all about the gags and jokes and forgot about the substance that made Ragnarok so good.
Sorry Taika, I think this will be your last Marvel flick and I am OK with that. Actor Grade: C- Director Grade: D-

Chris Hemsworth - Chris plays the Mighty Thor and the titular character of the film. However somehow this film ceased to be about him and went off in so many directions that it was hard to figure out whose story it was supposed to be telling. Hemsworth is actually a really, really good actor and his scope is so large that he can play a serious character in a movie as well as play a buffoon to the letter and be believable (See Spiderhead, Extraction, and the female Ghostbusters remake). However in this flick, the role he is known for he kind of falls flat on screen. I am sure he did the best he could with the story he was given but this is not the Thor that we all love. The muscles are all there (and you see that he does not skip leg day either), the long flowing locks of golden blonde hair is there, the stubbly beard is there, but the heart that made Thor so well received seemed to be a little lost in this film. Grade: B

Natalie Portman - Natalie plays Dr. Jane Foster, the once love interest of Thor. It has been a while since Jane and Thor's romantic fling and we find that Jane has moved on with her life without the Mighty Thor. She plays a larger part in this film than she did in the last Thor flick and her character arc is quite moving. But again, her story was told without much fanfare and kind of just thrown out there for the audience to grasp. I will say that Natalie bulked up for this film physically and fills out the armor nicely, she is not her usual petite self and when she showed up on screen the audience did gasp. Grade: A

Tessa Thompson - Tessa reprises her role of Valkyrie who we were introduced in Ragnarok. Again we somewhat know her backstory from the previous film, but nothing new really comes out about her. Actually she could have not been in this movie and you would not have missed her I am sad to say. She again did well with what she had to work with but her character was a shadow of what she was in Ragnarok. Grade: B-

Russel Crowe - Mr. Crowe plays Zeus the God of all the Gods. The Big Man, the Bolt Thrower, the king of wherever the Gods live. Again I am sure Mr. Crowe did what he could with the part that the director asked him to play, but he came across flat, fat and boring. Sure, give him a gold breastplate, gold boots and a perm and put a gold lightening bolt in his hands but that does not a Zeus make. I really don't understand how some of these gifted actors would choose to play a role like this other than for the $$ which I am thinking Mr. Crowe does not need. I really kind of felt sorry for him as I had watched Gladiator the other day and to see how far he has fallen I was sad for him. Grade: D

Christian Bale - Mr. Bale plays Gorr the God Slayer (the villain) of this flick. His backstory was brief, his powers unexplained, his purpose unclear other than he kills gods, hence the name. Mr. Bale did a fantastic job though in this role, it is too bad that it was wasted in this endeavor. My wife and I actually commented after that it would have made a better two part movie if they let Christian play his role for an hour and a half going around killing gods and then introduced Thor to the mix leading up to a final battle which would have happened in the sequel movie. But alas, that is not what happened and we have to live with an under developed character doing what he is doing and needing to be stopped by Thor and his band of guardians for some reason. I found it funny and not in a good way that the first part of the movie was a battle scene where creatures were being killed by Thor and his GOG gang and nothing was thought of it. But Gorr goes and kills a couple of gods and all of the sudden he has to be stopped, :) Such wasted promise for Gorr. Grade: A

Oh and there is more... This is a star studded cast that included Matt Damon, Luke Hemsworth, Karen Gillan, Jaimi Alexander, Chris Pratt, Melissa McCarthy, Cate Blanchett, Sam Neill, Vin Diesel, Mark Ruffalo, Bradly Cooper, Dave Bautista and many many more, yet all of them played either throw away parts or were there for a gag or some humor. I am sorry that all of them probably got paid an appearance fee and when they finally saw the final cut of the movie worried that they were going to have to account for this role being on their IMDB page (I am looking at you Melissa).

Overall Flick grade: C-
If you like Marvel movies, you will probably leave the theatre like I did, broken hearted to see the end of something that you have grown to love over the last decade or more. If you hate Marvel movies, well you will hate it even more after this movie and have good reason to.

Seriously if you are undecided to watch this flick, wait for it to come out on Disney+ in three months and go see Top Gun for the fifth time, or Elvis. No go see Top Gun again, believe me you will thank me for it. ;-)

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Taika Waititi allowed an absolute ton of improvisation on Ragnarok. It worked - brilliantly.

I thought Love and Thunder was a B- to a C+ movie; it was better than an average movie, but behind what we expect from Marvel.

The improvisation in this movie felt "forced", like the actors were trying to be clever rather than just letting the movie flow.

Overall, a great, well thought out review.

Last edited:

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
So..... I take it no cameo appearance from the late Stan Lee then? My *real* hero....
1658979650858.png

beninma

Friend of Leo's
I just watched the Dark World with my kid last weekend. It was stupid even by Marvel standards.

The Dark Elves just sit there in hibernation for 5000 years waiting, they don't look for some other way to win.

In all that time the Asgardians do nothing to build defenses and surveilance tech that can handle the stuff the Dark Elves had 5k years ago.

Of course Natalie Portman's character just randomly figures out in 5 minutes how to build a new technology to save the day. But Asgard couldn't do a dang thing in 5000 years.

They're fun but generally they are really stupid.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I just watched the Dark World with my kid last weekend. It was stupid even by Marvel standards.

The Dark Elves just sit there in hibernation for 5000 years waiting, they don't look for some other way to win.

In all that time the Asgardians do nothing to build defenses and surveilance tech that can handle the stuff the Dark Elves had 5k years ago.

Of course Natalie Portman's character just randomly figures out in 5 minutes how to build a new technology to save the day. But Asgard couldn't do a dang thing in 5000 years.

They're fun but generally they are really stupid.
worse of the Thor movies, skip it.

Skydog1010

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Fair review. Although I won't be watching Top Gun because I won't support Tom Cruise, but that is a discussion for another time and place.
I wish I hadn't been hooked into a Prime pay in advance opportunity to see 'Top Gun - Maverick "...live and learn. Could've bought a couple sets of EXL 10/46's. Such is life.