Preacher movie review: The Lost City

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Well the Mrs. and I were at the movies again.
My wife decided she wanted to go out to our favorite steakhouse last night, something about her skipping lunch and being ravenous. So we make the drive out to this tiny place along I45, in the middle of nowhere for these steaks that are just beautiful. They grill them up and then toss them onto the smoker to char the sides before they serve them. I wished I had taken a picture of the steak as you would think it was burned beyond recognition but inside it was perfect. And their sides, so good as a compliment to the meats! The place is Ruston Steakhouse along I45 south of Dallas. If you are traveling up or down that stretch of highway around meal time plan to stop. Oh and by the way, they have live music most weekends :)

Oh lets get on with the review of the movie...

1648650718565.png

The Lost City starring Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum, Daniel Radcliffe, and Brad Pitt. Yeah I know right? That many stars all in one movie? It has to be great right? Well apparently they spent all their money on the big name stars and had nothing left for the writers. Yep, it was a snoozer. If you have seen the previews, you have seen the best parts of this movie. I did not go into this movie expecting an Oscar winner, but every actor in this movie deserves to be slapped by Will Smith for their performances. Maybe I am being too harsh, some of the actors actually did OK, looking at you Channing and Brad, but the other actors were either miscast or have just lost their charm. Maybe the directors and the writers should have been slapped by Will and it would have sparked something cool.

Sandra Bullock plays a widowed romance novel writer whose late husband actually was an archeologist. She writes about his search for the the Lost City of D (yep they teed that one up and let them make their funny one liners) through the lens of a Harlequin romance novel. Now before I go to trashing her, I love Sandra B! I remember her when she was just a fresh face in Demolition Man, when she was the face of the Speed franchise, when she was Ms. Congeniality, and when she played a "cold hearted B who would die alone" in The Proposal. She was America's sweetheart, but not in this movie. I don't know if she knew the script was a stinker, or if the outfit she wore most of the movie caused her to be in pain, but her performance was nothing along the lines of sweet. She did not have the chemistry with Tatum that she had with Keaunu or with Ryan Reynolds and I don't think it was Tatum's fault. He seemed pretty charming. Maybe the Bird Box royalties were dying out and she needed some income but she is better than this and her performance never lived up to what we expect from her. Sandra gets a D for her role in the Lost City of, well you get it.

Channing Tatum plays the hunk in this movie (duh!). He is the cover model for Sandra's romance character and he wants to be her cover model in real life, if you get my drift? Channing is really charming in this movie. He starts off as a total douche bag model type and turns into a hero we can all admire. I mean he has his issues, but at heart he is a guy who longs to be more than just a toned chest and abs on a romance novel cover. He has good comedic timing but his quips don't seem to link up with Sandra's character at all. It is a shame, as I think they could have cast someone else as Sandra's character (I am looking at you Amy Proehler, or Tina Fey, or Anna Kenrick, or any other 30 or 40 something funny gal Hollywood actress) and let Channing carry the movie and it would have been better received. I will give Channing a solid B+ for his role, with another female lead I think he could have crept that up to an A but he did not set the curve in this movie.

Daniel Radcliffe plays the villain in this movie. Personal note to Daniel, stop picking these roles where you are the villain! You are as intimidating as a baby deer, or a newborn rabbit, or an airline ticket desk worker. No matter how much money the character you play has, no matter how much facial hair you grow, you just come across as someone that the average fifth grader would beat up. That might have been too much, I exaggerated and I apologize to Daniel. The average fifth grader is 11 or 12 year old and it would not be a fair fight. I should have said an average fourth grader or a big third grader who would put Daniel's head in the toilet and pull his tighty whities up over his head at recess could beat Daniel up. Anyway I digress, Daniel plays a well to do villain with a cheese fetish and money to burn as he searches for the Lost City of D (insert jokes here) and the Crown of Fire (sounds cool yeah?). He needs help from Sandra whose late husband is dead and is the only person who knows anything about the lost city. But go ahead and force the romance novelist to help you find the lost treasure... idiot. I will give Daniel an F for his role. Just because a pineapple could have been the bad guy in this movie and done better.

Brad Pitt plays the ex Navy Seal mercenary who is really good at finding people. I mean he is really good at finding people. Brad muscled up a little for this role so he isn't holed up in a motel 6 somewhere eating Ho Ho's by the box since his split from Angelina. He is hitting the gym, growing out the hair and working on his tan while meditating on a beach somewhere. Brad actually hits his role out of the park, he was a fun reminder of how an actor can take a fictional character no matter how exotic and bring it to life. He needs to work on his martial arts some, but hey its Hollywood so we will let it slide. Brad gets a solid A-, if he had better martial arts skills I would have given him an A.

Oh and I forgot to mention another actor who just made my day.
Oscar Nunez who plays Oscar (of course) the bush pilot in the movie. You may remember Oscar from the US version of the Office where he plays, yep Oscar. He also plays Ramone in Sandra's other flick The Proposal (I wonder why they did not call him Oscar in that film, that would have been funny) and just continues that Ramone character alas with a name change in this film. Oscar always gets an A+ in my book.

So while the film boast a bevy of big name Hollywood actors, it falls flat in the theatre even watching it in SDX with dolby seven thousand surround sounds and earthquake machines under your seats. Thankfully Tuesday night is $5 night at the movies so I did not lose too much other than the two hours I will never get back. Wait for this on DVD or your streaming service where you can scroll Facebook during the boring parts.

lowatter

Tele-Holic
Harry Potter as the villain? What were they thinking? I still want to watch the movie because I like this kind of movie but they all pale in comparison with Harrison as in the Raiders of the Lost Ark(see what I did there?). ;)

THX1123

Tele-Afflicted
Nice review! This film currently has an 84% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Perhaps I'll watch this someday. Now I can be prepared with the proper dosage and timing.

Moonraker5

Tele-Holic
Oh lets get on with the review of the movie...

Dude, this film has gotten pretty good reviews across the board. Only explanation I can come up with for your negative review is that Sandra Bullock or the Harry Potter kid must have picked on you when you were young. Leave that grudge out of your review!

I love movies and this film is not something I would go out and see. However, the trailer and the reviews do make this film look like a winner. I will definitely watch on cable/streaming service. And I have to say, the trailer featured one of the funniest lines I have heard in years. A clearly amazed Bullock staring wide-eyed at Pitt asks, "How could you be so good looking?" Pitt responds, "My dad was a weatherman." Classic. Fantastic line.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Harry Potter as the villain? What were they thinking? I still want to watch the movie because I like this kind of movie but they all pale in comparison with Harrison as in the Raiders of the Lost Ark(see what I did there?). ;)
I see, I see.

Yeah Harry is the villian in this one and in another movie I liked the original and felt dear old Harry destroyed it as the villain. "Now you see me II.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Nice review! This film currently has an 84% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Perhaps I'll watch this someday. Now I can be prepared with the proper dosage and timing.

YMMV but I find I jibe more with the critics that the audience and the critics only have a 75% rating. OTOH, I see Everything Everywhere All At Once is weighing in at 97%/95%. That's next for me.

THX1123

Tele-Afflicted
Dude, this film has gotten pretty good reviews across the board. Only explanation I can come up with for your negative review is that Sandra Bullock or the Harry Potter kid must have picked on you when you were young. Leave that grudge out of your review!

I love movies and this film is not something I would go out and see. However, the trailer and the reviews do make this film look like a winner. I will definitely watch on cable/streaming service. And I have to say, the trailer featured one of the funniest lines I have heard in years. A clearly amazed Bullock staring wide-eyed at Pitt asks, "How could you be so good looking?" Pitt responds, "My dad was a weatherman." Classic. Fantastic line.
I was thinking there could be other possible explanations for the negative review.

He actually saw the movie
He isn't a shill
He isn't a moron
He expects more from a film than a few enjoyable scenes

My best friend's favorite movie is that Mummy movie with Brenden Fraser. He believes it is one of the best movies made.

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire
Glad I watched before I read this.... Fun movie and the spoiler has already been posted.

THX1123

Tele-Afflicted
YMMV but I find I jibe more with the critics that the audience and the critics only have a 75% rating. OTOH, I see Everything Everywhere All At Once is weighing in at 97%/95%. That's next for me.

I suggest an 84%/75% audience rating on RT is mildly revealing. The ones I find most revealing are the ones with high critic % and low public %, but even those are often unrepresentative. I recently saw a movie I thought was brilliant. It was based on a acclaimed novel, had amazing cinematography, depth, and character development. RT public rating was dismal. Those people hated it because it didn't hold your hand, feature a clear and predictable good guy/bad guy or resolution, or have explosions.

Ultimately we are looking at 2 populations - people who write RT reviews and shills/critics. Both seem unreliable to me.

That EEAAO flick looks pretty cool. I like me some Michelle Yeoh.

Moonraker5

Tele-Holic
He expects more from a film than a few enjoyable scenes

Uhh, do you know what makes a great film? Three great scenes and no bad ones.

That saying is as old as the Hollywood hills. That's the formula for a great film. Three great scenes and no bad ones. To expect more than that is childish.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Now before everyone flames me for a bad review. I just wanted to give my personal opinion on the films that I get to take a look at.

Was the Lost City the worse film I have ever seen? Nope, not even close. But what disappointed me the most was it could have been so much better!! The premise was there, they had great actors, and they just failed to be able to make it work at least for me.

Maybe I went into it with too many expectations, maybe I expected something better because of the people involved.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
It's not a great movie, but I've seen worse.
The actors are fine at being the stereotypes they're supposed to be.

Brad pit is great as the over perfect action hero (his character is basically how I imagine Steven Seagal sees himself...). His removal is funny.

I've never liked Channing Tatum. I've called him the male version of Megan Fox, said he can't act his way out of a paper bag...... but I feel like if he stays typecast he will survive.
Also(unrelated to this film, but related to Tatum), knowing that John Cena is a better actor that I gave him credit for makes me feel like Tatum doesn't need used by Hollywood now. Anyway.
Radcliff is a good actor, works perfectly fine here. It's sad people typecast him when Horns and Guns Yokimbo have shown he can deliver as an actor even on crazy premises. Nobody refers to Emma Watson as Hermione, so why do they hate on Radcliffe? Because he's not a female being objectified? Because that's wack. Because he's short? He's 2" shorter than Tom Cruise. I don't get it.
In this, Radcliffe is essentially a pulp villain, in 2022. It works, he makes you dislike him, he's good.
Writing? Anytime I go to a movie because my wife wants to see it, I know what to expect. I wish I coulda made a drinking game out of shirtless dudes in the last twilight movie. In fact, I was hoping Blade would roll in and Wesley Snipes would end my misery. Comparatively speaking, this had a few amusing parts.

Didn't love it, but I've sat through way worse. If you sit down to watch it and aren't amused by the time you haven't seen Brad Pitt for 10 minutes, fast forward to the credits, get a chuckle, move on.

WRHB

Tele-Holic
Now before everyone flames me for a bad review. I just wanted to give my personal opinion on the films that I get to take a look at.

Was the Lost City the worse film I have ever seen? Nope, not even close. But what disappointed me the most was it could have been so much better!! The premise was there, they had great actors, and they just failed to be able to make it work at least for me.

Maybe I went into it with too many expectations, maybe I expected something better because of the people involved.
It’s not a bad review, it’s an honest review. Thank you for watching it and sharing your opinion. If someone has a different opinion that’s fine. I just don’t see why they have to act like their opinion is the only one that matters. Yours is just as important as theirs. The difference is you took the time to start a thread and share your opinion with us. I say if someone feels so strongly about their opinion they can feel free to start their own thread. Thank you for sharing. By the way, I enjoyed the movie. My wife and I laughed all the way through.