Preacher Movie review: The Gray Man

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
I agree that this is a stupid, Commando-like, one-man-army shoot-em-up, but I also enjoyed it. Of course, I was deep into some wild turkey 101 by the time I started watching it.
I don’t think there’s enough rum for me to enjoy that drivel or even watch the last 15-20 minutes I turned off from

effzee

Tele-Afflicted
Billy Bob Thornton: Billy plays Fitzroy, Six's handler and recruiter. I am not sure what it is about Billy but he has kind of lost my interests. I am not sure it is enough of a role for him to give his all in and he is kind of relegated to a back up player in this flick. Grade: C-

I didn't know he was in it. Now I'll have to watch it by default!

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
If you like Billy Bob Thornton you might want to try the "Goliath" series on Prime. I really liked it. There's a certain amount of surrealism interjected from time to time, especially in seasons 3 and 4, that I thought was pretty interesting. It's got 4 seasons.

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
I saw it the other night. Entertaining in a dumb way. Not as high a body count as John Wick if you like that, but he kills a lot of bad guys in creative ways. Built for a sequel as most of these type of things are.

This is fantasy but it's grounded a little more in reality than the John Wick movies which are total fantasy.

The only movie like this that I actually enjoyed was the one Scarlett whatzherface did several years ago, Lucy. That one seemed to have a je ne sais quoi that seemed about ten IQ points higher the typical shoot-em-up fare.

Last edited:

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
I think I liked it three points more. I agree with the observations on the performances, and feel like they were let down by less-compelling writing.

I would make a point of the cinematography/camera/lighting and use of color in the first 3rd of the film. The really set it apart from a lot of others, and even though the surrealism felt a little John Wick, it got a little weirder than that - less high drama, more chaos and disarray. In a good way. It did drop back in the rest of the film though, and that was disappointing.

And yeah - Dhanush pretty much stole the scenes he was in. I don't know if he'd really be doing better going to Hollywood, but I hope I get to see more of him. He could carry a film that's better than this. I give it a B for the genre.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
I just watched it tonight. I thought it felt like the next "Mission Impossible" sequel--in other words, a complete summer blockbuster formula--except that Ryan Gosling doesn't take himself as seriously as Tom Cruise and therefore is, in my stupid estimation, a much more likeable lead. No closeups of Gosling's face in shock/determination/incredulousness, etc.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
We watched it over the weekend.

I didn't hate it, and I didn't fall asleep, but I won't be watching it again.

Chris Evans' character is a real cartoon villain, in an entertaining way.

Mrs R said '...that was alright, I guess...'.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I liked it a lot. I think Gosling and Evans are about as good as we have from their generation of actors, and the Russos are the closest thing to Spielberg since the man himself.

It was supposed to be light fun, and that is exactly what it was.

Skydog1010

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Preacher- great review for a really bad movie.

Tonight I started watching "Carter" on Netflix - it is actually worse than "The Gray Man" - bye bye Netflix.

"The Age of Adaline" was probably the only redeeming video value I received from Netflix for the July-August timeframe. Back to Prime, Freevee, and Peacock I go.

These over the top action/violence flicks have me sailing off into much calmer waters.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Preacher- great review for a really bad movie.

Tonight I started watching "Carter" on Netflix - it is actually worse than "The Gray Man" - bye bye Netflix.

"The Age of Adaline" was probably the only redeeming video value I received from Netflix for the July-August timeframe. Back to Prime, Freevee, and Peacock I go.

These over the top action/violence flicks have me sailing off into much calmer waters.

I think you are onto something there with the streaming services.

The pandemic really dampened people's "need" to go out to the movies, and with larger screens, 4D, surround sound you can really have a movie experience in your house for about the same cost of going to a new movie a week at the theatre.

I think you will see all of these streamers start making more of their own content. It serves a couple of purposes.
1) It keeps viewers attached to your streaming service. Kind of like Xbox did with Halo.
2) They hope that they create a must see show which will drive new viewers to their service.

It is not a bad idea if you ask me.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I think he is the Old Man's son.

You better not be poking fun of my boy!
1660068313408.png

TC6969

Friend of Leo's
Watch the fountain fight scene.

Lloyd clearly takes his shoes off dumps them out and immediately goes to work with the knife.

Then when is finally defeated and falls back into the water, he plainly has his shoes on!

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
It's an American James Bond movie. He literally says his name is S6 because 007 was already taken. It has a dash of Ipcress File thrown in as well as the hero is a criminal forced to be an operative.

I'm trying to remember - when the last 007 movie came out a few months back, did every one here complain about it? It actually kind of sucked, which deserves more complaint than this movie does.

Just to give y'all something else to complain about, it was a huge success and they are going to make a bunch of sequels.

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
This is a story taken from Author Marc Cameron's Grey Man series of novels. Marc has a 5-star pedigree having been a ghost writer for the Tom Clancy Jack Ryan books after Tom died. He spent 29 years in law enforcement and was also in the US Marshalls service. His writing is very realistic and the plotlines engaging, and has become one of my favourite writers.
The Grey Man character in Marc Cameron's books is very well realised and no flimsy 2-dimensional creation. Please do not write him off because of a comic-book screen adaptation

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I saw it the other night. Entertaining in a dumb way. Not as high a body count as John Wick if you like that, but he kills a lot of bad guys in creative ways. Built for a sequel as most of these type of things are.

This is fantasy but it's grounded a little more in reality than the John Wick movies which are total fantasy.

The only movie like this that I actually enjoyed was the one Scarlett whatzherface did several years ago, Lucy. That one seemed to have a je ne sais quoi that seemed about ten IQ points higher the typical shoot-em-up fare.
Mark Greaney wrote several Gray Man novels. If they make a dime off of this the rest will follow. Just like all those crappy comic book movies.

ponycar

Tele-Meister
Actual films have pace. Action that is unrelenting with no ebb and flow is just numbing. The Grey Man novels have potential as a vehicle for a screenplay but this screenplay and production missed the mark.