Preacher movie review: The Batman

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
So Mrs. Preacher and I took in a movie last week. It was my pick as the last two Mrs. Preacher got to pick the movie so I cashed all my chips in and said, "Let's go watch the new Batman movie."

Mrs. Preacher said, "I thought he retired after the last Batman movie and married Anne Hatheway?"
I replied, "Oh no, that was the Christian Bale Batman, this is the new Batman with the guy vampire from the Twilight movies playing Batman. New story, new villians, new Catwoman."
Mrs. Preacher replied, "oh great, two hours of explosions and gadgets." As you can tell she wasn't really all that into it.

So no spoilers but here is the review.

I was really worried about a Batman reboot since I thought the Dark Night series with the afore mentioned Bale ticked all the right boxes. But Pattinson actually looked pretty good in the Batman suit and pulled off the role pretty well. The filming was what you would expect in a DC movie, dark, always dark, with a hint of grime on all of the camera's edges. I just can't figure out why DC can't clean those lenses, anyway I digress.

Pattinson plays a young reclusive Bruce Wayne who masquerades around at night as The Batman. He of course doesn't make a lot of friends on either side of the law. I did appreciate the movie trying to get back to the original story of Batman as the detective that in recent movies has not been there. Batman has brains, and he uses those brains to create gadgets that he uses to solve crime. He has no super powers other than his sense of right and wrong and unlimited funds from the Wayne trust to invest into all sorts of gadgets. While Pattinson looked fit in this role, he did not look overly fit like some of the Batmen before him. Scarred both physically and emotionally Pattinson probably best carried both sides of his night and day personality. As well as Michael Keeton did in the 80's movies at least. I would not mind seeing another Batman with Pattinson in the role allowing him to go deeper into the chaos surrounding Gotham City and his unrelenting drive to make a sewer a better place to live.

Catwoman is played by the nubile Zoe Kravitz who I actually hated at the beginning of the movie and then grew to love at the end. As far as I am concerned no one can fill out a cat suit like Halee Barry, although that movie was horrible. Anne did an OK job but Zoe seems to bring an edge to the Catwoman that Anne missed. I would have loved to see a little more physicality out of her, but she held her own playing the frenemy of Batman.

Paul Dano plays the nemesis to Batman as the Riddler. I was a little turned off when I first heard the Riddler was going to be the main villain in this movie. I mean how do you take this guy seriously....
from this
1648053072862.png
to this
1648052997513.png
to this
1648053114917.png
to this
1648053152866.png
to this
1648053180126.png
You see what I mean?

So your super power is you have a big brain and speak in Riddles? Ok....

Anyway, Paul's character is a quite removed from these villains of yesteryear. He is a dark and brooding psychopath and a match for Batman's detective abilities as he ensnares Gotham in his scheme. Of all the actors in this film I think he is the one who transformed into his character the best. Of all the Batman films of the past, I have to put Heath Ledger's Joker at 'villain number one, maybe Tom Hardy's Bane at two, but this Riddler falls in the top three for sure as you just can't take your eyes off of him.

An unrecognizable Colin Farrell (I did not know it was him until after the movie) surprised me as the Penguin for which I am sure he will be in the upcoming movies as well as they flesh out his character and his schemes in the next movies.

Now for the fun parts, the gadgets!!

Batman has a whole new suit (mostly bulletproof lol) and some new toys as well. This is probably the most realistic Batman gear in the movies to date. I mean not everyone has a military grade manufacturing facility in their holdings like Bruce Wayne but what he has and uses in this movie has some sense of a DIY Batman who doesn't want everyone to know he has his hands on military contract stuff.
The Batmobile is not the sexiest, or the sleekest or even the meanest Batmobile in history (yeah I am looking at you Michael Keeton Batmobile with your shields) but it gets the job done and has a little Iron Man flair to it. And the BatBike is not too bad either although it doesn't get a ton of screen time.

All in all Mrs. Preacher and I left the theater and talked about the ins and outs of this Batman movie. There were things both of us liked and things we both did not like (I am looking at you Alfred) but we both felt it was a good flick and would give it four stars out of five.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Cali Dude

Tele-Afflicted
I guess you don't have to be a fan to enjoy the new "Batman." I am more into artsy films, so I didn't really like it. But my partner, who loves action movies, found it to be very entertaining.

kylejf90

Tele-Meister
I've seen it twice and am anxiously awaiting its release on HBO Max! I like that Pattinson's Batman (Battinson?) actually seems like he's working through some psychological trauma. He's reclusive, and awkward. I also like that he didn't look like a bodybuilder or hulking beast like Affleck did, Batman is a detective/martial artists. Huge muscles aren't required or conducive! This movie has a feel to it with the darkness and grime, it doesn't feel artificially dark like the Snyder movies, or overly try-hard. It feels like a city in a state of decay, which is fitting. I was also on the fence about using Riddler, but I thought they took the character in an interesting direction that is in some ways pretty plausible...The only things I didn't love were THAT cameo, and Andy Serkis' Alfred.

And boy, the cinematography in this is spectacular. I don't think a Batman movie has ever looked this gorgeous, and I can't wait to see what Matt Reeves does if they do a sequel.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I've seen it twice and am anxiously awaiting its release on HBO Max! I like that Pattinson's Batman (Battinson?) actually seems like he's working through some psychological trauma. He's reclusive, and awkward. I also like that he didn't look like a bodybuilder or hulking beast like Affleck did, Batman is a detective/martial artists. Huge muscles aren't required or conducive! This movie has a feel to it with the darkness and grime, it doesn't feel artificially dark like the Snyder movies, or overly try-hard. It feels like a city in a state of decay, which is fitting. I was also on the fence about using Riddler, but I thought they took the character in an interesting direction that is in some ways pretty plausible...The only things I didn't love were THAT cameo, and Andy Serkis' Alfred.

And boy, the cinematography in this is spectacular. I don't think a Batman movie has ever looked this gorgeous, and I can't wait to see what Matt Reeves does if they do a sequel.

Oh he is working through the trauma alright. I liked it as much as Keeton's 80's batman who looks like he has it all together but then you realize he is really in trouble. Pattinson looks like he has given up trying to keep it all together which goes along with the story line.

I liked that he was not in superhero form also. I am going to have to think about THAT cameo, I am missing the reference and I agree about Alfred, Andy is a much better actor than that so I will blame that performance on the director.

The city scape shots were really good cinematography for sure.

Ed Driscoll

Friend of Leo's
The running time of nearly three hours is a bit off-putting (I did my time watching the 2 hour and 45 minute Dark Knight Rises in 2012). Oh, for the terse police procedural half-hour TV episodes of the Adam West years. ;)

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
I thought it was ok. I think I'm getting too old for Batman movies and that makes me a little sad.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
I watched it on HBO and was pleasantly entertained. But my expectations were pretty low. Every scene seemed to be intentionally claustrophobic and under lit. Easily my favorite Riddler, Penguin, and Batmobile yet. And John Turturro was great. And there's a short scene with an insane vintage Corvette that steals the show.

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I think your review is pretty much spot on. I watched it with our son at a theater down the street and enjoyed it more than I expected and more than most Batman films by a longshot. Like the recent Dune, it left me really looking forward to what comes next.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Sick of overly dark (unlit) movies. I wonder if it is to cut CGI costs? Story line was long. It was Okay for me. I'd probably re-watch earlier ones before doing this one again.

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
I am not a Batman fan.
Honestly, I really don’t care for most of the DC movies, but I like most of the standalone Marvel offerings. I really can’t follow the ones where everyone is in it together and the story line gets so convoluted.

But…saw the new Batman and I liked it!
Best DC movie thus far.
Hopefully, a sign of things to come.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
WARNING! SPOILERS!!

I didn’t hate it. There were things I loved, and things I didn’t. I don’t dig Pattinson. He’s a pretty good Batman, he’s a TERRIBLE Bruce Wayne. Just the worst. I’d take Val Kilmer’s Bruce Wayne back over this one. That’s how bad he is.

I too, dug the detective angle. A lot. That was cool.

I too, loved the riddler, and Colin Ferrel as Penguin.

I really liked Zoe Kravitz as Cat Woman, and I liked the angle that she was just a plain old human and not some whacky, resurrected by cats, supernatural character. I also liked the clash between her and Batman over going down the wrong path with her revenge and such. It made a good story.

I really liked the Batmobile and Bat bike. Like, a LOT. The whole DIY/rat rod/Mad Max aspect of them was just what the doctor ordered, as far as I’m concerned.

I hated Batman’s movement and mannerisms. He looked fine in the suit. He had the right attitude and dark, brooding character. Why the hell was everything he did when he wasn’t fighting sooooo slooooooow. I swear, when he was reaching into the rat cage to get the next clue from the riddler, I fell asleep. When I woke up six minutes later he was still reaching for it. Ok, that’s an exaggeration. But the absolute slowness of his movements and conversation annoyed me to death. That movie would’ve been at least fifteen minutes shorter if he moved realistically during non-action sequences.

All in all, I’d give it a 3.5. I’m glad I didn’t spend theatre money on it, but it made for a mostly enjoyable evening streaming at home. I’ll probably watch it again at some point, because I do that. The only one I never re-watched from DC was Batman VS Superman. Now that was a completely unforgivable POS and a couple hours of my life I’ll never get back. And I did spend theatre money on it. Ouch.

Last edited:

lizayong90

TDPRI Member
I'm not entirely convinced by this Batman, it's far from bad, it's even very good, but there are a lot of things that bother me. Robert Pattinson makes a good Batman but a bad Bruce Wayne, Christian Bale was much better in the role of Wayne there, Pattinson is too bland, too depressive and inexpressive in short, I don't get it.

TweakBox Tutuapp

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I liked him as Bruce and as Batman.

Didn’t notice the slow speech/movement thing. I’m pretty laconic and languid by nature though.

To me an in the shadows recluse makes more sense than a visible playboy. I’m not a comics guy so not sure if one is more “authentic” to the original vision.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
It's no surprise to me that the daughter of Lisa Bonet and Lenny Kravitz is so appealing.

And yes, I remember Angel Heart quite well. I'm old enough to be Zoe's Dad, obviously, since I'm two years older than her Dad Lenny.
So perhaps it does twist my psyche to know that I am a creepy old guy ogling such a young beauty.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
I liked him as Bruce and as Batman.

Didn’t notice the slow speech/movement thing. I’m pretty laconic and languid by nature though.

To me an in the shadows recluse makes more sense than a visible playboy. I’m not a comics guy so not sure if one is more “authentic” to the original vision.
I didn't notice the slow speech/movement thing either, but I spent 3 nights watching the movie in segments on HBO Max (with multiple interruptions each time), so maybe that's why I missed it.

IMO, in the shadows recluse seems more plausible than visible playboy, authenticity to the original be damned.

Anyway, my thoughts on the movie -

After finding out the running time, I pretty much decided I was just going to wait until it was available outside of the theaters. When I found out it would be on HBO Max, I was a bit thrilled about it. My daughter hates anything DC Comics, and my wife doesn't get into movies like this at all, so being able to watch it in bits and pieces worked out well.

I think my biggest criticisms probably are due to unfair comparisons to other Batman movies. And the one I can't seem to get past is Alfred in this one vs. others, especially the Michael Caine Alfred. I think it was a combination of Andy Serkis's technique in conjunction with how this new Alfred was written, that made me just not care for it so much. Maybe the new Alfred portrayal is perhaps more plausible, but I still want at least some qualities of the Michael Caine Alfred back.

I do think I liked this Catwoman the best. ZK seemed to capture characteristics of what an actual Catwoman might be like, in ways that others did not. I think I might even go so far as to say that there were times when I think Batman was upstaged by Catwoman.

And while I was uncomfortable with just how alone and reclusive this BW/Batman was, it's actually more plausible and realistic.

I also liked Jeffrey Wright as the new Commissioner Gordon, even if his portrayal was a little more cut and dried, and possibly even 2D than previous ones. If nothing else, his portrayal just seemed to fit.

[Spoiler alert!] Probably the biggest letdown for me was averting the crisis with the flooding near the end, which just didn't seem realistic at all. Same thing with the whole army of Riddlers, which just seemed rather flimsy and thrown together hastily. Maybe I missed some important aspects of all that, from watching it over the course of 3 nights (with multiple interruptions).

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I am not a Batman fan.
Honestly, I really don’t care for most of the DC movies, but I like most of the standalone Marvel offerings. I really can’t follow the ones where everyone is in it together and the story line gets so convoluted.

But…saw the new Batman and I liked it!
Best DC movie thus far.
Hopefully, a sign of things to come.

Best DC movie to date? I don't know...

1651602137240.png