Preacher Movie review - House of Gucci

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
So Preacher had a business trip last week and since it was one of those long flights he took in a movie. Full disclaimer here, Preacher doesn't do R rated movies usually (personal choice) but Southwest airs a PG13 version of R rated movies so the little one next to you doesn't have to see all the R rated stuff. I really don't feel that much of the R rated stuff that was eliminated would have really change much of my opinion about the film so here goes.

So while looking at movies to watch on my three hour flight I happened on House of Gucci starring Adam Driver, Lady Gaga, Al Pacino, Jeremy, Irons, and Jared Leto.

You probably know the story of the family Gucci and their notable handbags, purses and designer clothes for the last half century. I found the family dynamic fascinating and was entertained throughout the movie even though I knew how it was going to end. Without leaking any spoilers I will just go into the acting.

Adam Driver - He plays the young Gucci, Maurizio who doesn't want to follow in anybody's footsteps or even into the family business. I love Driver in most of his roles and I loved him in this. His character arc goes from shy, nervous nelly boy to powerful, cut throat businessman over the course of the film. Even though this film is about the house of Gucci, it really is a coming of age story for a young man who finds himself embroiled in a family that has built an empire. He did a wonderful job as he usually does in bringing the human side of his character to life. You find yourself rooting for him early in the movie and then eventually loathing him later on. He deserved at least an Academy Nomination for Male Lead Actor.

Lady Gaga - She plays Patrizia Reggiani, the love interest and eventual wife of Maurizio Gucci. Gaga thrives in this role, and eventually you forget that she is a stadium selling out singer/songwriter who wore a meat dress at some event sometime. She was awesome in this role, bringing to life a young woman who went looking for love and found gold. The twists and turns her character takes was like riding the roller coasters of my youth. The ups, the downs, and then the corkscrew to finish it off. Some have bashed her for her accent in this role but I felt like it fit her personality to a T. She was gangster in high heels and should have at least been nominated and probably won an Oscar for her performance.

Al Pacino - He portrays Aldo Gucci, one half of the brother's Gucci who founded the company. Aldo is the brains behind Gucci and Company and he plays his part exceedingly well. Al is one of my favorite actors of all time and he did not disappoint, he is both businessman, father, uncle, brother and each person he plays opposite the emotions feel real and genuine. An American treasure of actors to be sure.

Jeremy Irons - Mr. Irons (I always feel I should address him properly) plays Rodolfo Gucci, the other half of the Gucci empire. Rodolfo is a hermit who has lived out of the spotlight since his wife (who was a famous actress) passed away. His relationship with his son is strained because of Maurizio Driver) wanting to become his own man and Rodolfo does not approve of Patrizia (Gaga). Mr. Irons always brings and air of aristocracy to his roles and he does not disappoint here either. From the pencil mustache to the slicked back hair, he is the epitome of what you would think an old Italian actor would look like.

Jared Leto - Leto plays Paolo Gucci, the son of Aldo and by all accounts a beloved son but an idiot. I honestly did not know who portrayed Paolo before I started this review. I was shocked that it was Leto. I don't dislike his acting, but most of his roles I always feel that the director asked him to turn the dial up to 6 and he cranked it to 11. He most times comes across a little brash, a little too harsh, a little too crazy for my taste but he nailed Paolo. The interactions he has with his family is so genuine and heartfelt that I found myself rooting for the village idiot to make good. I know I am going to get flamed for this, but he should have gotten a supporting role nomination for his work.

So all in all, great actors make an excellent film.
It should be out on all the streaming platforms pretty soon so take a few hours and watch. You will at least feel better about your family issues compared to theirs!

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
On a whim I went to the theatre to see it last year. I just wanted to get out of the house and really knew nothing about the real-life story of the family.

Good review, and I agree with everything you said. I enjoyed it very much. The casting and acting was excellent. I recommend it to anyone who hasn’t seen it.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
My wife made me watch it with her. It’s a great story, some of which I knew. Movie could have been an hour shorter without losing a single detail.