Pre-wired switch harnesses

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by pypa, Jun 16, 2021.

1. pypa

pypa Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I am replicating a 1988 Carvin guitar for a friend.

He's set on 2 volume / 2 tone, with a 3 way toggle and two separate coil splitting mini switches.

The switches will be body mounted. Any recommendations for a pre-wired, soldered harness?

Madhatter will do one, but it's solderless. My friend is intent on a soldered one...my solder skills are sad..

Recs appreciated.

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

If you're going to pay for someone to prewire that harness why not just take it to a luthier and have them wire the whole thing up with pickups and all?

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. pypa

pypa Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I knew there was a reason to post this. I didn't even think about that option. Thanks.

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Soldering is a skill that every guitar builder should have. Make a jig out of cardboard to hold everything in exactly the correct relationship, solder it up and fit it to the guitar. Like many of the skills we use to build guitars, practice makes you a pro.

I'll tell an anecdote here - some years back while I was racing bicycles I decided to build my own - butted steel bicycle tubing silver brazed. I worked in a machine shop for a very talented welder who taught me to braze ("silver solder"). We made a bunch of scrap joints and I spent hours brazing them together. My mentor looked at my work and said "keep it up, you're getting better". I watched sliver brazing wire at 2 dollars an inch (way back then) disappearing at an alarming rate and thought "maybe I'm good enough".

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.