Pre dilled holes in a partcaster body - should I trust them?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by crowds, Sep 3, 2019.

1. crowds

crowds TDPRI Member

So my ash body arrived with all but the scratch plate holes pre drilled. I'm at the final stage of my build where I start on all the fun bits that make the guitar come together.
    I wondering, in your experience are the positions of the pre drilled holes reliable enough to ensure I get a finished guitar that will play well and intonate well?
    The body maker seems to be highly regarded here in the UK.
    Thoughts?
    Jim

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

They should be fine, take some measurements and compare with another tele if unsure.
    Placing the bridge plate over the holes will give a good idea if they are out or not.

crowds likes this.
  3. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Might as well try them. If they’re off, fill and redrill.

4. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Agree with those who've already commented. You're probably OK especially if the body is coming from someone with a reputation... and... the holes are already there so what have you got to lose? If they're off, fill and drill... ;) Good luck!

crowds likes this.
  5. crowds

crowds TDPRI Member

Ok sounds good, the only reference I have is a cheap Chord Tele rip off that belongs to my daughter, not so sure how reliable that would be to take measurements from. Think I'll take a punt with the pre drilled and take it from there. Cheers
    Jim

6. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Assuming it is a standard Telecaster body you could check it against the "Terry Downs" template, which is available here on TDPRI. I think that it is in the "Tele Home Depot" forum. Many members have printed it off to create their own tele builds.

crowds likes this.
  7. bettyseldest

The templates are in the "sticky" sitting just above your thread in Tele Home Depot

upload_2019-9-3_7-58-21.png

8. bettyseldest

Do post pictures of your build, as you progress with it, or just once finished, and welcome to TDPRI.

Not been there for many years, but I assume the spire still leans.

Telekarster likes this.
  9. crowds

crowds TDPRI Member

Cheers, yes I was just viewing that post. It's stickies at the top of Home Depot :)

Telekarster likes this.
  10. crowds

crowds TDPRI Member

Cheers, Ive been trying to keep a video log of the build including all my mistakes so I'll post in once done :)

Telekarster and bettyseldest like this.
  11. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Yep! Keep us posted on your build! We likes that around here ;) Good luck and welcome! Oh and there's no such thing as a dumb question. So... if you run into a snag or want some advice, just ask on TDPRI. Plenty of good builders out here willing to share their exp

crowds likes this.
  12. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

Get yourself a good machinist's ruler 6 or 12 inches long. Compare the hole locations from the body edges to the hole centers for the bridge mounting holes and ferrules. Check to see if the neck cavity is 3" long. Use the mentioned Tdowns drawing, as that is the standard that most of here use to build from scratch. Remember that there is a hair of tolerance in industrial made goods, if it is indeed a factory made body, and that is acceptable.

Revision E ( the lastest version ) of the Tdowns drawing is located in a link at post 585 here in this thread:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/d-size-tele-body-blueprint-files-here.74504/page-30

13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Mount your neck on the body, then measure from the fret side of the nut to the D-G saddle on your bridge after resting it over the body via the hole alignment and the bridge saddle should be at 25.5 near the center of it's adjustment screw; assuming you're aiming for a standard Tele scale (some get short scale conversion necks). E-A will be back and e-b will be forward of the center saddle after intonating.

Milspec likes this.
  14. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

It is rare to run into incorrectly drilled holes, but it does happen, especially if not a production body. The only ones that can really screw you are the string holes, if they are off, everything will be a problem. If they are correct, the rest should be as well or at least easily re-drilled if not. Set your bridge plate on those holes and position the neck. If they form a straight line at the correct distance, everything else should be good to go.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.