pre cbs bass tuners?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by cleanheadsteve, Oct 14, 2019.

1. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

pic of tuners w ferrules & screws. front & back.
    thank u all so much for your input by the way.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

simoncroft likes this.
  2. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

Great to see these extra pictures! I don't normally like reducing a nice guitar or bass to a pile of parts, but it's got to be head-over-heart when you're selling.

One of the big questions is: what do we know about the body and the electrics? If the pickups and the rest of the electrics can be shown to be of the same period as the body, then maybe keep them together. Obviously, the body finish isn't original, and it looks as if there was a Badass bridge on there?

My first thought was: sell the neck and the tuners as separate items, but I see the control plate has traces of gold. Together, the bass might be more commercial than sold as parts.

Although I can't find a production Fender fretless bass earlier than 1969, that doesn't mean that no such instrument existed before then! I've been to a lot of trade fairs where manufacturers have produced a 'concept' instrument to see what dealers though about it. If you can find any evidence that your fretless neck came from a Fender bass produced for the NAMM show, it will add greatly to its value IMO, doubly so if you can show a photograph proving that such a model was shown.

Until you have a provenance on all the parts, I have no idea what will give you the best sale price. Given the very high prices vintage parts, as well as vintage Fender guitars, sell for, that research is well worth doing.

3. cleanheadsteve

i think the body finish might be original. i dont see traces of any other color in any of the cavities

4. cleanheadsteve

i agree badass bridge for sure

5. cleanheadsteve

for instance neck pocket stamps still intact. and with gloss finish over part and part raw. seems sanding a previous color would have been noticed here. but body isn't of major value i dont guess. pots say 1377xxx so that means pots dated 77 right? and the circle for bridge ground wire i've found on 78's so ...

6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I do not think those are the original tuners. You can see the holes from the '70s style ones that were there originally, not to mention that they are obviously the wrong style for that era of neck. Saying they got put on in the '70s because they had been sitting in the Fender factory for years is really grasping for straws IMO.

I do not think the bass originally had gold hardware, as not all of it is gold, and the control plate appears to be lacquered brass, not a plated silver colored metal. This would be an aftermarket part. Fender factory gold hardware was simply custom plated versions of their normal hardware, not brass parts. But aftermarket brass accessories were a bit of a trend in the '70s and '80s.

I do think it is a four bolt neck that got converted to micro tilt three bolt, probably to match that body. IIRC, Ps didn't ever receive the Micro-Tilt feature.

I can't tell if it was a factory fretless by looking at the pictures supplied. I'd be able to tell if I had it in my hands. It's possible it is a defretted and thinned fretboard. However, some (in fact, many, IME) veneer boards were indeed that thin. Here is one thing you can look at, though. Measure where the side dots are. Are they in the normal locations for a fretted bass? Or are they exactly where the frets would be if the neck had them? Has the nut ever been removed (look at whether or not the neck finish at its edges is still intact as original). Precision Bass without frets is an oxymoron, since the "Precision" in the model name literally translates to "fretted." But strangely, it actually was something that was not terribly odd to have ordered from them (a "standard option," you might say, to use another oxymoron), starting in the '70s.

The gold tuners were obviously swapped in later, and the slot screw a hardware store replacement. But there is no way of knowing whether the tuners were originally gold, or whether a user had them plated later down the road.

What is your goal here?

If looking to sell for the max you can get, put all parts that belong together together. Separate all parts that don't belong together. Clean everything well. Sell the tuners and their bushings separately from the neck. Sell the neck separately from the body. Sell the pickups and pots with the body.

If looking to make a working bass out of it, I would send the body in for a pro strip and refin at Guitar Mill, RS, or the like. If you want fretless, spruce that neck up. If not, sell it (and the tuners) and get a neck that you want with the proceeds (the sale will definitely cover the cost of a new neck made to spec, and the hardware and finish to go with it, and then some).

I would sell the tuners no matter what. They're ugly, and potentially valuable. I do think they actually are original reverse tuners, FWIW. The gearing looks more like the originals than like the Gotohs that came out in the '80s and have been in production till now. See the difference between your and these '82 Gotohs? The number of teeth, splines, whatever they are called is much greater on the Gotohs (they are much better tuners than the originals).

lnn7eixgvczfattdaggs.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  7. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

All of this has already been determined earlier in the thread

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.