Pre catalyzed lacquer

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by gobi_grey, Mar 31, 2020.

1. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Can someone please explain what this means and what it means, properties and such for a guitar/neck finish.
    Thank you.

2. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Not being snarky, but have you tried using Google (or your preferred search engine)? I ask because that's precisely what I ended doing, since I know nothing about it.
    It did lead me to this basic explanation, and seems it could work for guitars:
    https://www.finewoodworking.com/2005/09/13/all-about-lacquers

3. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I was doing lots of google searching but I guess it's probably been 3 years ago. Sorry. Busy, lots of burners going, too many tabs open. Heck, I sometimes blurt out finished thoughts from 10 years ago.
    So pre cat is not nitro. Is it considered poly then? This seems like one of those questions that pop into your head while trying to drift off to sleep.

4. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

No need to apologize. Like I said, I wasn't being snarky - just figured that might get you a quicker answer to your questions.

5. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the link, I'm also hoping for some discussion, hearing what people have to say about it is usually pretty informative. If it's commonly used or whatnot.

6. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

The only one I've used by Campbell was nice but not really durable for cabinets. Post-cat Duravar (technically a conversion varnish) is tougher, and Crystal is incredibly hard. Post catalyzed finishes don't melt into each other like nitro so you either have to recoat right away or scuff sand between coats. You don't have to wait weeks before buffing them out.

To address the OP's question, precatalyzed lacquer has an additive to speed its curing process, can't be too much or it would go off while still in the can. Post-Cat products get an acid catalyst added at mixing time and they get hard REAL fast. Personally, I've come to like post-cat satin finish for necks because it gets hard, but not sticky like a high gloss finish. Fender figured this out with their Player series necks.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I use to use DuPont lacquer I believe it was call Duco.
    Then acrylic lacquer Came alone called Lucite.
    I’m just going off 50 year old memory, so it may be wrong.
    Lucite I’m sure of.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.