1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pre-Bends, why?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Cloodie, Nov 15, 2020.

1. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

My humble opinion: If you're not releasing that bend, there is no reason to do a pre-bend. As others have pointed out, I'd listen to the CD that came with the book and see if you can glean any info from the recording. I'd really like to hear what you come up with.

2. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

A lot can happen between the notation and the ear.

You can leave it a few cents flat of the target note, allow vibrato to go lower than the note, or start a vibrato on the way to the note, or hammer-on the pre-bend then pick the note... or maybe another two frets is just a bit of a stretch.

Cyberi4n and SRHmusic like this.
  3. Cloodie

Cloodie Tele-Meister

Earlier post points out I've listened to the track. That hasn't cleared anything up for me.

Cyberi4n and blowtorch like this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

If you are expecting people to actually read posts in any given thread...prepare to be disappointed ;)

Nelg, Guran, Frodebro and 1 other person like this.
  5. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

do it any way you want. It's the blues there is no right there is no wrong. Use your ears and develop your own feel.

Rhythm Thief likes this.
  6. Cloodie

Cloodie Tele-Meister

Just to add some context here, the book is by Keith Wyatt. In the section concerned it's basically showing some Albert King style riffs. There's no specific focus on this chapter on bending, pre bending etc etc, it's just a collection of riffs. The description for this particular riff has an explanation of some of the fingering used but when it comes to the pre bend it says "In bar 10, execute the bend from D to E using a pre-bend'. There's no particular focus on this or discussion about why we're using a pre-bend rather than just playing the note as normal 2 frets up.

7. Cloodie

Cloodie Tele-Meister

When reading any instructional book I always like to know the reason for things, especially when something isn't obvious or clear, in case there is something I'm missing.

8. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

Bend with a pre-bend. Are you playing that bend over an C chord? Maybe he's saying bend up from a slight sharp D to E?

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

So you can get the expressive sound of the bend as you drop back to the lower pitch. The note should sustain throughout.

McGlamRock and radiocaster like this.
  10. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

That makes sense. I can only see using a pre-bend if you're going to slide in or out of that note or if he's implying a slightly flat E?

11. Cloodie

Cloodie Tele-Meister

Ive covered this already in an earlier post. There is no release on it

blowtorch likes this.
  12. Cloodie

Cloodie Tele-Meister

All the riffs are just played over an A7 chord.

13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Don't think... ‘feel’... time to transcend the tab

zamdrang likes this.
  14. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

My bad

Cloodie likes this.
  15. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

can you post the part? I'll bet we'll hear why, if you can give us the context... does the next lick rely on the pre bend?

16. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

I just tried it and I am not able to get out of that note without hearing any hint of the E dropping. My abilities are not proof of what he's saying thought :)

17. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

yes, context is needed. what is the next note(s) that are played? It may be required to get certain sounds from other notes and the pre-bend just puts you in a better position to execute.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  18. Cloodie

Cloodie Tele-Meister

This is the entire lick (actually I've realised I've been saying riff when I mean lick :))

[​IMG]

19. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

All about tonal quality .... a pre-bend and a pull-off perform the same task, moving down from one note to a lower one.

Fret any note (say D), preferably below fret 7, and pull-off to the next note below it (C in that case).
    Now, using the same notes so here, fret the C note, pre-bend it up to D, pluck it and release down to the C.

Notice any tonal difference between the two ways of getting from D to C?

20. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Looks normal to me, just to stay in position and hit the higher note. Also you can add some more waver/feel to it, as others mentioned. This happens a lot in the blues. Jimmy Page does this often, as well. I'd suggest listening carefully to the original and similar tunes, and you'll probably find that you can't quite get the same sounds by fretting the higher note. It's subtle but distinctly different.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.