1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pre Amp Pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jbnaxx, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

The current situation has given me a lot of time to play, practice, learn, fix and experiment. Just out of curiosity, I put an old mic preamp in front of my amp (no other pedals) and it was kinda nice. I heard of using a red MXR Dyna Comp with the sensitivity turned way down or off and output turned up for a clean driver....... I tried it and it was not as nice as the preamp. It didn't give that nice note separation of the preamp.

The preamp died, so now I'm looking at something like a Dunlop Echoplex or similar...... I'd be interested to hear from any echoplex (or other) users.

2. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

So many options.

How would you describe the way that old mic pre colored your sound? Knowing that will help narrow your search.

Tim S and Roscoe295 like this.
  3. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Playing clean or slightly driven. Note definition was much better with the preamp. Chords on the upper strings less muddy...didn't seem to run together. It didn't color my basic sound but made it more powerful, articulate. It kept that good note separation even when driven. The difference was more noticeable on the upper (EAD) strings.

4. northernguitar

northernguitar Tele-Holic

Two Notes Le Clean. Very nice clean tone and moderate overdrive. Avoid Le Crunch.

5. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 TDPRI Member

Xotic BB Preamp is pretty solid. I use it almost all the time with both my PRRI & a ‘64 Gibson Scout. Good note articulation & response.

bribas likes this.
  6. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I recently acquired an EQ pedal that would work well as a very tasty and versatile preamp: Pettyjohn's Filter EQ.
    Here's my thread about it.

I also really enjoyed the EHX LPB-2ube preamp I had. Some tube rolling and I found it to be a really nice compliment to just about anything.
    As I recall, it was true stereo - I had one side dialed in as an always on boost/color-er and the other side (with a switch in-line) dialed in as a true tube overdrive. Pretty nifty. Wish I would've kept it.

Here I am giving you two out-of-production pedals. Sorry about that.

7. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

I am pleased with the basic tone of the amp so I'm not looking for any coloring of the sound..... just that nice extra clarity.
    I don't use a lot of effects......just reverb and delay...... the gain knob no the amp is enough overdrive for me.

I tried an MXR 10 band EQ pedal...... It didn't do it.

I am attracted to the simpler things.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  8. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

12AX7 clean boost
    [​IMG]

9. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

You’re going to get dozens of different recommendations. Do some research into clean boosts, I guess.

I’ll recommend the Fulltone 2B.

10. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

JHS Prestige? Lots of simple boosts out there that do what you are looking for in my opinion.

JuneauMike likes this.
  11. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

That ART Tube MP is what died on me....... It sounded good while it worked.
    It was an older model of the same unit..... It had been laying around here for a while and could have suffered some abuse.

I'm thinking the stomp box format would be more rugged.

12. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Maybe it would be good to list what I have tried.....
    ART Tube MP...... it had the magic, but it died. The stomp box format would be more rugged.
    MXR Dyna Comp....... Didn't have the nice note separation. sounds compressed (Duh)... LOL:confused:
    MXR 10 Band EQ........Didn't really do anything with the sliders center. Gain added dirt. That is likely the way it was designed.
    TC Electronic Spark......It would just get louder... didn't give the nice note separation.
    Carefully using amp gain....... note definition deteriorates as gain is increased...also likely per design.

13. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

MXR Micro Amp or EJ LPB-1. One knob wonders.

I use a Joyo American Sound pedal.

PhredE likes this.
  14. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

At this point, I'm leaning toward the Xotic EP to the Dunlop Echoplex.

I think the Echoplex copies are what I'm looking for.

15. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

^ This.

For a cheap sonic upgrade, swap out the 12AX7 with an old 12AU7. Old RCAs are dirt cheap. The 12AU7 has better linearity at the low supply voltage of +48 volts.

PhredE, VintageSG and ukepicker like this.
  16. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Those color your sound quite a bit, and a lot of people love them, but you said you like the sound of your amp so I’m guessing you’d prefer something more “transparent”. A simple boost, or even a buffer first in your effects chain might be more what you’re after.

Tim S likes this.
  17. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

If money is not an issue I suggest the Chase Tone "Secret Preamp" & if cost is a factor then I say the E.P. Booster. Both are based on the preamp in the old EchoPlex units.

Both pedals can be used as boosters but are better used as always on pedals to improve your overall sound.

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  18. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like you are enjoying the level matching, higher output, etc of a preamp. IMO a clean boost isn't the same. I'm with you on the advantages of a preamp, although the note seperation and 'less mud' you mention are qualities often attributed to active pickups - EMGs in a Tele ??

I was 'exploring' my pedals and found a nice improvement using this preamp:

[​IMG]

Its Behringer. Its cheap as chips. It sounds good and mine is still going after @15 years.

19. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

ART Tube MP might be easily fixed
    Check the tube and the power adaptor - I bought mine "as-is" for near zero with a dead adaptor

PhredE and DADGAD like this.
  20. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

If increased clarity is what you're after, IME the ep booster won't get you there. It muddied up my low end, and colored the tone a fair bit.

Dunlop version might be better.

Micro amp might also do it.

D_Malone likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.