Practicing with a Metronome.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rand z, Jan 27, 2020.

1. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

A very good acoustic and electric guitarist with one of the top musical acts in the world, works with a metronome on a regular basis. (I know him a bit, but this info comes from a mutual friend who knows him well.)

He say's it tightens up his timing and his playing.

He claims that his rhythm and leads are more spot on within the band's live show's and his overall playing, too. ( He plays solo and with his own band, also.)

I've been trying it for 2 month's on a daily basis for 30-45 minutes a day.

I play single notes to every click... one at a time. (Sounds rudimentary but it seems to work.)

Then I graduate to more intensive lead patterns, chording and fingerpicking. And, I vary the speeds of the meteronome from very slow, to eventually, very fast... and adjusting my playing to the tempo changes.

I'm noticing GREAT RESULT'S!!!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Martin R, beatnik, 8barlouie and 7 others like this.
  2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My former instructor was a classical guitarist and told me that no matter what level of player you are, a metronome will make you better. I used one for about a year on a daily basis and it did improve my timing. Seemed very boring at first (well, it actually was), but the end results were worth the agony.

I really need to incorporate it again.

Greggorios, rand z and Vibrolux59 like this.
  3. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Just turned mine off. I suck, but I want to suck less.

$15 Franz metronome off CL. Almost pleasant sounding & made of bakelite.
    20200127_194511.jpg 20200127_194542.jpg

4. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’m pretty sure if I tried playing with a metronome I’d find even more reasons why I suck. So, I don’t.

I know I play on top of the beat. Always have. Probably could get a bit more ability to play around with, on or behind, the beat with some serious metronome time. But I’m lazy. Ok?

Cheers,
    Geoff

Greggorios and Milspec like this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

This is the one that I finally found that gets me to use it. My timing sucks (ask my wife, the bass player:oops:). It does it all and has both adjustable volume audio, plus a flashing light that changes color for each measure. My timing gets better the more I use it. That was my main problem for years ... metronomes were terrible, but this one rules. I even brought it to practice with the band I played with and some of them bought them too. Yeah, that good and came highly recommended to me from an old gigging guitar player. IMG_4238.JPG

6. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Yes, it's very beneficial.
    Can pop some bubbles about one's sense of time though.

7. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

Practicing with a metronome was probably the thing that improved my playing the most. It is humbling though. For a bit of fun (and additional humility) put the metronome at quarter speed so it only makes a sound on the one. This will improve your time even more. If you want to get freaky adjust the placement of the click so you hear it somewhere else in the bar. For example the click only happens halfway between beats 2 and 3.

Martin R, Ian T, beninma and 2 others like this.
  8. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

My timing has always been spotty.

Practicing with the metronome seem's to tighten it up a bit.

I played a gig friday in a trio without a drummer and felt slightly more comfortable providing the fill's and lead's. (Normally I play solo.)

We'll see if it continues.

Either way, it's kind of a "zen-like" experience for me that I enjoy.

9. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

The two things that helped me the most with music (all the instruments I play “at”) were counting and a metronome
    When I get the time to get into serious practicing again the metronome will get a new battery and a lot of use

10. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I have a couple...they all hate me and spend a great deal of time brooding. That said, getting the meter right is something I really need to work on...I do poorly at in time transitions between phrases when accompanying myself.

11. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Worth a try ... there must be a free phone app out there...

rand z and trapdoor2 like this.
  12. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Holic

Que the metronome shootout on That Pedal Show.

13. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I use one called "Simple Metronome". Basic, works well, still has some features I'll never use...

rand z and pondcaster like this.
  14. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

I also have a phone based metronome.

They also have wristwatch style metronomes that vibrate to the proper beat. Best if the whole band is wearing them, LOL.

orangeblossom likes this.
  15. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Meister

I recently started playing to a metronome with specific things I'm practicing, mostly because I'm trying to work a specific lead solo up to a certain bpm. I was so pleased with how quickly I was able to dial in my weaknesses that I'm going to do all my practice to a metronome from here on out.

Side note, I play drums in a band, and we ALWAYS practice to a click track. Playing drums to a click for the last three years has helped my guitar playing immensely. I have no problem "burying the click" when I record tracks or try to play in time, where before it was a huge struggle. I can also tell much more quickly when I rush or drag, just from living with a click in my ear all the time.

16. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

I’m also on the TalkBass forum and every time this comes up there are people that argue using a metronome doesn’t help and isn’t necessary. That just defies logic.

For me the two best things I do that improve my playing are 1) use a metronome and 2) record myself. I’ve always suspected that if these anti- metronome people recorded themselves and did an honest critique, they’d find that they aren’t nearly as good as they think they are.

fretWalkr likes this.
  17. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I could not agree more, rand z. 'Timing' sounds so simple, but to the neophyte, it's actually not so simple.

A metronome is a very useful tool for practice. ;)

rand z likes this.
  18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I use MetroDrum on my Android phone. It does drum patterns as well as plain metronome clicks.

20200128_095521.jpg

rangercaster likes this.
  19. Rick J

Rick J Tele-Holic

Absolutely bloody essential. If you never have, start now, download one of the free apps (load of them, all pretty good) and start playing simple riffs against the click. If you've never done it, you'll think you've downloaded a dud metronome app, because it can't keep time with you. But the metronome app will be spot on, and its you thats out of time.

Try simple little licks or riffs (maybe Petty Woman or Day Tripper, or any two or three bar riff) at about half normal speed. Get those perfect at half speed (harder than you think) and then work up at about 10-20 bpm per step, till you get to full speed.

Rick J

20. Rick J

Rick J Tele-Holic

Further to above, if you are a little more adventurous with tech, any cheap or free drum machine app will work just as well, and you sound really good when you get totally in sync. Try simple strums as well. With Rhythm Guitar, the clues in the title.

Rick J

rangercaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.