1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Practice!? We're talkin' bout practice!"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Dec 2, 2020.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I saw a clip of 76ers star Allen Iverson's rant about practice.
    It made me think that I have devote almost no time to practice lately. Sure, I may have tried to learn a new song or riff but I've not really practiced in a long while.
    In fact, I've devoted more time to simply playing songs that are enjoyable to play from acoustic tunes to 3 chord rockers. I think it's been my way of working up interest and enjoyment in just playing the guitar which has been lagging recently.
    It's been more fun to play something like Tom Petty or CCR than to get serious about improving my playing.
    I almost feel guilty just playing for the fun of it. NOT!:D

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  2. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Playing "for the fun of it" is what practice is all about. 90% of my practice time is spent playing along with CD's. The rest is going over much of the same material unplugged just to get my timing and note placement is correct.
    ps: I do not consider going over scales repeatedly to be a decent form of practice. I learned those long ago. I use them, but they are just building blocks that have led me to where I am today.

3. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

It's fine to play for fun, and it's fine to try and get better. Why does everything have to be one or the other these days?

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

The point of practice is to hone your skills. You’re not honing your skills to practice better. You’re honing them to play better. That means that sometimes you need to just play what you like. Simple? To me it is.

5. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Playing is better than not playing, but I always liked practice. Doing something new until I got it right, figuring out where else that 'bit' was used or adapted, trying to dope out why something sounded good or bad.
    I liked practice for sports too, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.