Practice Bass Combo Amp

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by The Angry Possum, Jan 1, 2019.

1. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

Looking for any Recommendations for a decent sounding pract. bass amp. My price range is $100 to $200. Using For Small Venues and Practicing. But I want a really good sound quality overall. I like a good bass sound, not too twangy. John Paul Jones type player, using a 2006 Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass.

Fender
    Ampeg
    Line6
    Hartke
    Ibanez
    Vox
    Other

Thanks

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Fender Rumble 40. The new model has a neodymium speaker and only weighs 18 lbs! I got mine when they first came out and I've never had a regret. I think they run right at $200 now.

Great, versatile tones. I just jammed the other day with a guitarist and a pretty loud drummer and it cut the mustard just fine. You're gonna want to upgrade to the higher wattage models if you want to play anything bigger than a bar though. For jams, small gigs, recording, and practicing it can't be beat.

For regular gigging, I wouldn't recommend anything under 200-watts. My bass "gig rig" is a vintage Fender Bassman 135 through a 2 x 10" SWR cabinet and I run a second line into my little Rumble 40; kinda using it as a monitor and to add a bit more top end. I can do classic rock fine with this setup, but even my 135-watt Bassman can get drowned out in a decent sized place or up against some monster amp(s).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Gunny, Gmountain, screefer and 2 others like this.
  3. The Angry Possum

What Version in The Rumble 40? Ver 3? I'm unsure what that means.

4. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

In that price range never count out the used market. Some real good deals out there if you just keep your eyes pealed. Face it Bass amps just don't get the love guitar amps do on the used market.
    Plus you never know.. Sometimes you just get lucky. My brother drug over an old Peavey TNT130 he scored off the local junk hauler/scrapper guy years ago. Knew I was into that type of thing right?. Thing looked trashed but someone had installed an EVH15b in it so I gave him $50 bucks for it.
    Repaired some ripped tolex, replaced a couple missing knobs, grill badge and hit it with some Detoxit. Still in it under $100 bucks but it kicks ass for an old classic bass amp. Wouldn't want to move it on a daily basis though.

5. Dismalhead

It's the current version, so I guess it is the V3. I got mine for $169 when they first came out. Here it is on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWINMR6/?tag=tdpri-20

The Angry Possum likes this.
  6. Taildragger

Taildragger Tele-Meister

My favorite practice amp is a Roland Microcube RX. At only 2.5-watts with 4X 4" speakers, it's not very useful for much else except practice and quiet jamming but it sounds surprisingly good for what it is.

Several on-board COSM amp models and rudimentary beat loops (more like a metronome than a drum machine, but not an annoying "beep" tone). A couple simple effects and a gain control. Will run off either batteries or included AC adapter. Headphone out, aux. in. Compact, light-weight and very portable.

7. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a 75w Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110 I picked up for about $100 used that IMHO is one of the best $100 I've ever spent on any amp. I've seen them listed for $200 and more on Ebay or Reverb and if you can get one even for $150 or so IMHO it would be worth it. They sold for $350 new.

I don't like Line 6 guitar amps at all but this little studio/practice amp is very good and could even see duty in full band rehearsal or light duty gig. It's not a bad little guitar amp either when using the clean setting with a reverb and/or delay pedal. I've used it for that purpose as well.

https://www.emusician.com/gear/line-6-lowdown-studio-110

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Cadfael

Cadfael Tele-Meister

Roland Microcube RX...

Various sounds, tuner, effects and rhythm guide on board.
    It makes much more fun with the rhythm guide.
    And you only need bass and cable to have all in one.

9. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

Hello.

I must second the Fender Rumble 40.

It's light, sounds great, and sells in most places for $200.

I think it's a little shy on power to jam, but then again, I never jammed with mine yet.

And the V3 means version 3 of the Fender Rumble series.

I had a V2 that I bought in the year 2000: 60 watts into a 12. Good sound, but not as good as the current amp, but it up and died one day.

The only bass amp I ever had that just stopped working. I still don't know what happened.

Seriously, for $200, I really don't think you can get a better amp.

Mike

Gmountain and The Angry Possum like this.
  10. The Angry Possum

Thanks, I'm eyeballing a Fender Rumble 40 now. There around $200 new.

11. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

I have a Ampeg BA110 works for me
    [​IMG]

12. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

SWR LA Series. Four different speaker sizes, and wattages. The LA8 pumps 30 watts through an 8 inch driver, and sounds nothing less than amazing. These can be had used for around $200. I had one for a few years and used it for rehearsals, and practice. People were amazed at how much tone it had for it's size.
    Crate made some nice, small bass combos, as did Peavey. Check out the used market on line.

13. Dismalhead

I remember when those came out. Those are very sweet amps. I really like SWR stuff.

14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Fender Rumble 40.

Cheap, sounds great, looks great, has an excellent four-band e.q., weighs practically nothing, has XLR output, and even a fuzz channel. 200 bucks is insane for the amount of amp you get.

I say this being someone whose main instrument is bass, and who has played nothing but 100W and up Ampeg amps my whole "career." I played a Rumble 40, and was instantly sold.

15. The Angry Possum

I agree, I just received The Rumble 40 yesterday, used, in mint condition. It has the original paperwork etc on it. This amp was used twice by the previous owners son. So for $160 shipped you can't go wrong. A Very Sweet Sounding Amp. Glad I chose this one. I so appreciate all the great responses to combo amps. Re: SWR/Ampeg/ etc. 20190105_162342.jpg

emisilly, Gmountain and Mike SS like this.
  16. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Just for practice and small venues? I concur ... The Rumble is the best bet in your price range.
    You might want to look at some used ones or even a used Peavey.

I have a Frontman 25B which I use around the house and small get togethers. On the rare occasions where I have to play bass on a gig I use my Mark, One of the bass players I work with uses a Rumble that is supposed to put out 800W ,,, don't know about that but it was more than adaquate for any gig we played.

17. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic

Congrats on the Rumble 40. Perfect amp for fooling around. Love mine.

Dismalhead and The Angry Possum like this.
  18. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

Congrats, and welcome to the rumble club. ;)

Mike

Dismalhead and The Angry Possum like this.
  19. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

In the $100 to $200 price range, I'd look for a used Peavey TKO or TNT series amp. Very heavy, but great sound, enough power for all but the loudest gigs, and virtually indestructible.

20. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

+1 to this. Those are neat; I had one for a little while and thought the SWR-based clean model sounded great for guitar, cranked up with some of the useful onboard compression dialed in.

I had just started playing bass at the time end flipped it before bonding with it as a bass amp, but my impression was that it could handlle basement practices and small gigs.

My small bass amp now is a teal-stripe Peavey TKO 115S, with a15" Scorpion in it. I like it cranked pretty hard for rock P-bass tones. With 75-80 watts, I jave to crank it pretty hard, but that's where it gets lively.

Like the TNT mentioned above, moving it sucks.

The Angry Possum and soulman969 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.