Practice bass amp ideas?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by screefer, May 14, 2021.

1. screefer

screefer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Wifey is starting out on bass and needs her own practice amp.
    Any thoughts regarding the following...?
    Fender Bass LT 25
    Fender Rumble 25
    Ashdown Studio eight
    Gallien Krueger MB108
    Ampeg BA108

As you see, we think an eight inch speaker will be adequate as it will be strictly for bedroom/headphones use.
    Thanks

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Vox Pathfinder 10, cute, cheap and plenty loud enough!

3. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

The Rumbles are great amps but I would look at going for the larger model. The Rumble 40.

Will be loud enough to hang with a drummer with brushes but is actually LIGHTER than the Rumble 25... I am not a big fan of 8" bass speakers, but I love me some 10's.

Coffeemutt, Gunny, Bassman8 and 3 others like this.
  4. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

+1. Rumble 40.

5. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

+1. A 10" speaker is massively better than an 8". I have a little Eden EC10, small, light, fills a small room nicely or makes a great practice amp. The newer Rumble 40 would be even better.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Check out the new Ampeg Rocket series.

7. screefer

Totally agree as I have one. The idea is to have a smaller one for her area and it's not like it's easy just to go and try em out these days. In stock, etc...

Jim W and northernguitar like this.
  8. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

The Ampeg BA108 gets some love now and again over on Talkbass. As does the Rumble 40. I’ve never tried either one.

Honestly, I started noodling on bass through a Dean Markley K-20 guitar practice amp. At low volume it sounded fine, and placing it in a corner augmented the bass response. At very low bedroom practice volumes you may not need a specific bass practice amp.

(This was a four-string P-bass, fingerstyle and tuned standard. If she’s playing a five, or in some kind of mëtal drop tuning, my suggestion might not hold true.)

Jowes_84 likes this.
  9. screefer

Looks like it got lots of love but no longer available up here north side

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Not sure if they're even still available, but I have a Hartke Bass 30 that I bought years ago. It is 30 watts, and a ten inch speaker. Plenty loud and good sounding for single or small group practice. I've even used it for small, "coffee shop" type gigs. (I don't like loud bass anyway) ;)
    Here's a link for an example.
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&toolid=10001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=274455467403
    T
    his one says B 300. Mine says B 30......same amp, though.

11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

This is a question not a recommendation ( I'm not a bass player, just an aging guitar player who uses only small amps for gigs and home)

Are the Roland Micro-Cube Bass amps any good ( enough volume?) for home practice or quieter jams?

I LOVE my Micro Cube ( guitar at home) and all Cubes seem to have good reputation with sound/features/ reliability.

Just curious about the mini Bass one

12. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

So let me throw another option in here for you.

Since I have moved into a town home playing the bass amp at volume has not been an option. So here is an option for you.

I use an Ipad with Garage Band and an Apogee Jam as my guitar interface. The GB program has a number of good amp simulators for bass. Invest in a good set of headphones for her and let her play through the Ipad.
    I leave GB on in the background and play along with tracks and videos for practice.

13. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

I looooooooove my GK MB108. Love the sound

hamerfan likes this.
  14. screefer

Very interesting. I had not heard of that one but we are looking for a dedicated small unit(No gigging!). They must have a market for these eight bangers as there is very competition.

Anyone tried the headrush frfr 108?

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. screefer

We are intrigued by this one, with no bells and whistles, ala the LT. Nothing to go wrong. GK has a strong rep. You pay, tho, but it's music...:)
    Won't be in stock up here until June 20

16. screefer

Sounds like a route to go but we are semi-literate regarding computer stuff. Old dogs, eh?

17. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

IMHO Fender should make a Tonemaster Blackface/Silverface Bassman. This would be the perfect practice amp. I can't understand why there are so few Bassamps with vintage cosmetics

fattboyzz likes this.
  18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I use a PJB Double Four for practice, I keep it on my desk. It's a great sounding amp and it has some really clever engineering to make the bottom carry better than you'd think. It has headphone jack. It also has an aux. input that is independently controlled so you can hook up a music player or drum app, etc. I use that for RDM app to pretty often when I practice. It's portable and has real amp tone, it sounds like a grown up amp but not as loud. It doesn't have the foldy cheap speaker sound that some small combos have. It sounds crystal clear.
    upload_2021-5-14_14-27-11.png

I'd recommend this to anyone. It is not a low cost option, I understand that.
    Vox makes a very nice lower cost practice amp FYI.
    I went with this (honestly) because I have a 2nd grade nephew who plays kit drums and he still thinks it's cool to jam with his uncle and this amp will stand up to bass wide open and I can also play a guitar through it (too clean!) but it's small enough I can take it anywhere, even in a suitcase.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    screefer and WingedWords like this.
  19. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

Rumble 40 or Roland 20xl Bass

20. timbgtr

timbgtr TDPRI Member

I may be more like the OP. I already had a Carvin MB15 that’s lightweight with an XLR for playing out, so I got a Rumble 25 just for the living room and low volume practices. The price was right, $99 at the time, but I take the point that for many spending the extra $100 for a Rumble 40 could be a good investment, especially with its XLR out.

68Telebass likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.