Practice Area Organization

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by OldAndNew, Sep 21, 2021.

1. OldAndNew

OldAndNew TDPRI Member

I gotta get my practice are organized. What are some tips and tricks to keep my practice area with all my gear neat and organized? I have like 12 guitars and 5 amps total. Plus cables, pedals, stands, etc. so it gets messy sometimes.

2. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Storage racks/shelves are good for stacking amps or guitar cases.

There’s also little plastic organizer compartments with drawers you can put cables and accessories in.

Wall hangers for the guitars. That’ll free up the floor a lot if you can.

Pcs264 likes this.
  3. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Tidy up and put stuff away after every practice.

DavidP, Skydog1010 and Peegoo like this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Here's one that not many guitar players know about: a percussion tray. This is a thing drummers know about, which is weird that a drummer knows something a guitar player doesn't.

Okay, ^^^that^^^ was satire.

Get one and attach it to your music stand, pointing sideways or backwards so it's not banging into your kneecaps. You can keep your capo, picks, tuner, pens, pencils, breath spray, Vitalis, and metronome on it.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibraltar/Small-Accessory-Table-1273887992725.gc

Look around...these are called percussion trays and percussion tables, and they are available in all kinds of sizes.

You don't have a metronome? GET one.

Ron C and PhredE like this.
  5. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My amp now sits on a cabinet with glass doors. All my "stuff" stays in the cabinet neatly stacked, and my guitars sit on stands in front of it.

Mind you, I only have two electrics, one amp, and two pedals, so it's easy to keep this organized.

JL_LI likes this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Did your wife make you do that?

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Those chrome wire shelving units you can buy at big box home stores are good, same basic units as institutional kitchens use.
    They don't block light or sound and can hold a lot of weight without warping and collapsing, unlike many other plastic and particle board knock down shelves.
    Racking up amps and cabs frees up space, but you probably need a desk with drawers too assuming you have some recording gear.
    I'm beyond hope with my music gear but I've built and set up organized storage for sane people.

Ron C and Skydog1010 like this.
  8. unixfish

Nope. I am a bit of a neat freak. I do leave a few picks out and my Mustang Micro and a earbuds, but that is it. It sits in my office so I prefer things to look neat.

JL_LI likes this.
  9. unixfish

Found a pic...

10. unixfish

With the attachment this time...

20210616_145440.jpg

11. unixfish

I still need to paint my Tele body shaped pick bowl so it can sit on top of my amp. One day soon...

12. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

Hire a roadie.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  13. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Carolina's (pick one - that's where I'll be) USA
    My area looks like a pound of C4 went off in there, pulled out art supplies for a quick project and now I don't want to even go in there, my dog, refused to mow go in there.

I like that rolling chrome wire shelving unit idea.

Top of my birthday list, thanks @telemnemonics , really appreciate the idea.

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The wire shelving is a good idea for amps and cabs because it is super sturdy and the shelves are infinitely adjustable for height.

Strictly by its nature, a practice space usually has to be a little messy because when inspiration hits, any setup distractions will positively kill any musical spontaneity. The faster you can do your plug-n-play, the better your musical ideas will be.

Ron C likes this.
  15. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Holic

I've currently got 4 amps in my practice room, but against the walls. Princetons are stacked on top of each other. I run an ABY switcher with the input cable behind the piano to my pedalboard, and can either plug into that or the Tremolux in front of the board.

Guitars are on a 5-guitar stand, and I have one on a stand next to me at my desk. I have 7 guitars, but the ones I'm not using stay in their cases in the closet until they're needed. Unused pedals sit on a shelf in the bookcase.

And at night... I'm playing through my Eleven Rack as it sounds pretty good, and I can have the volume at reasonable levels for the wife and kids to sleep and not bother the neighbors. Again, it's practice, but have also recorded with it and I'm happy with the sounds I get.

Plans are to build a book-case type thing to hold the 3 amps on one side (Princeton, Princeton Reverb, Dr. Z MAZ 18) to have shelf space on the top of them. Need to get that pocket screw kit going...

So I'd

16. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Agree, I'm sold on them for a lot of different uses. We use a bunch of them in our basement and main floor, even in the living room with a 70s stereo on it. Has a cool industrial look that goes with a lot of different styles (modern, rustic, Shaker etc, just not traditional formal stuff).

Some of the heavier duty units come with beefy wheels, which is really handy.

I got ours from Amazon, both the Amazon Basics brand and one other I can't recall. Both excellent quality.

telemnemonics likes this.
  17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Have less gear. Shifts the focus to playing, not rotating stuff.

18. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

The best thing you can do keep your playing space organized is not use it.

Another option is to apply the inverse ratio and spend all your time organizing it for the zero time you end up spending playing.

After all the photos of perfect spaces I've come to that conclusion. Mine oozes clutter because I spend most of my time in there playing. I've stopped letting it bother me. If I need a pic I can clean it up again.

Bob

OldAndNew, telemnemonics and MilwMark like this.
  19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha thanks for that!

My wife is an artist, both my parents were artists, I'm in a few media besides music including musical instrument repair.
    But the flip side is that I have ADHD plus the hoarding gene.
    I keep my hoarding in check by only having stuff I actually use.
    But I use a lotta stuff!

At any moment I can walk up to a work area and my guitar is plugged in with signal chain on power strip.
    Two playing rigs are set up but one I have to plug in a guitar, that's by the TV in the living room.
    Yes, I have a vintage Marshall half stack in the living room.
    My wife has a painting studio room and another utility room.

Several of my work benches are ready for milling or drilling or sanding or finishing.
    All tools are out where I use them, few have neat storage arrangements.
    It is both terrible and wonderful.

MilwMark and buster poser like this.
  20. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Good call. I recommended these before... buddy got me one like the below recently. They have dozens of styles/sizes under $50, just look for 'leather coin tray' on Etsy.

[​IMG]

Peegoo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.