Practice Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by howlin, Sep 1, 2019.

1. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

I say try champion 20 by Fender Best cheapest amp. If. You are lookin for More quality check boss katana

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Absolutely!

58507830723__03614C08-45D9-4BE8-A8F9-915FBC02D20A.jpeg

3. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

I usea Vox Mini3 G2. Tiny modeling amp withl lots of great clean sounds. The 2x12 sounds just like my 75 lb 80s Fender amp. Dirty settings are less nice, but it also has a lot of built-in effects. I never was much into effects, but now I need tremolo!

Second line in for vocals and a special setting for plugging in an acoustic. $149.

4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Amen brother...my home "practice" amp is a UL Twin reverb. It doesn't have to be small and low powered to be a great home amp.

5. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

How do you use them as a preamp? Do you use the effects send from the Hotone into the Bandit? Can you send the speaker output into the Bandit input or would that damage the Bandit? I am really interested in those Hotone things, and I have a great power amp and cab I could use...

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I can either send it into the Bandit's main input or into the effects loop return. When I had the Mooer Radar, I ran the Hotone preamp out to it and sent the Mooer output to the Peavey's main input. I also sometimes run everything into a mixer and send the "control room" out to the Peavey and the main board output to the computer for recording.

I'm probably going to get a Hotone Binary Amp Simulator and IR Cabinet Simulator soon to replace my lightning damaged Mooer.

SolidSteak likes this.
  7. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I don't understand the concept of a practice amp. Calling it that seems to me to demean the quality, saying when I'm good enough, I'll get a real amp. If by practice amp, you mean an amp that sounds good to your ears at low volume, say that. Then don't settle for a practice amp. Look for an amp you can play at home or take with you and be happy with it. I have an amp sitting in my basement that I thought was good enough to use as a practice amp. I use my Mesa Boogie for everything. There's a reason the "practice amp" sits in my basement.

NewKid and Frodebro like this.
  8. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Precisely why I posted the picture I did. :)

JL_LI likes this.
  9. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

10. 68silverw/black

68silverw/black TDPRI Member

If you are a bass player you probably already have an amp for that. I play my guitars through Fender Bassmans. I have both a blackface Bassman and a tweed reissue one. Buddy Guy plays his Stratocasters through a '59 Bassman and it sounds pretty good to me! For a practice amp, just don't turn it up as much. One can use bass amps for guitar, but I would not use a guitar amp for bass.

11. dpsmith67

dpsmith67 TDPRI Member

Gretsch G5222. Small enough to move from room to room. Great clean sound. Want to liven it up, just plug in a 1x12 to move some more air.

12. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

20190901_213200.jpg I use these. Blackstar Club 40s

And these. Blackstar HT20 and Hughes and Kettner Tubemiester36

20190901_213329.jpg

13. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

To those in this forum that know me, it will come as no surprise that I agree wholeheartedly with nojazzhere's recommendation of the Vox Pathfinder 15R. I have 3 of 'em, play through them everyday, gig with them, you name it. But finding one is the problem. And there is another consideration, the P-90 pickup in your guitar. You said it was a single P-90, I'm guessing that means in the bridge position. I have a tele that has a P-90 in the neck position. When I play it through my Pathfinders, that P-90 really pushes the amp, and the sound is kinda gritty, a crunchy clean, if you will. Maybe that's what you want.

But if you want pristine, or at least more clean than mean, that P-90 equipped guitar might better be paired with a Roland Cube. I have one of the older models, the CUBE-15. It's comparable to the Vox Pathfinder 15R in that it too has an 8" speaker, and is a 15 watt SS amp. But the Clean channel on the CUBE-15 is based on the Roland Jazz Chorus clean, so it's more pristine clean higher up the dial.

I just did a side by side comparison of my P-90 tele into both of the aforementioned amps. I plugged straight in to the CUBE-15, but since the PF15R has both reverb and tremolo and my old CUBE has no built in effects,* I also plugged into my BOSS ME-70 multi-fx pedal, and dialed in reverb and tremolo to match the Pathfinder. They both sound good, but again, one is pretty, the other gritty, all other aspects being more or less equal. I think the Roland Cube models (even the older and discontinued ones like the 30X, 15XL, 20XL, 20GX) are more readily available than the Pathfinder 15R. And the CUBE 10GX (10 watts, 8" speaker) is currently in production.

* Later configurations (2006 on) of the Roland CUBE amps, the X, XL & GX series, did include built-in effects, including reverb and trem.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

I own a Purple Wind and a Bandit. So...are you running the Hotone out to which input? Effects return or Pre amp in?

15. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I love my Fender Champ! I have a blackface.

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

!!!

This is one of the rules of TDPRI. No matter what the amp question is, eventually a Twin will be mentioned.

17. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

I picked up this li'l guy at my local GC about a month ago. The stock speaker is basically crap, so I replaced it with a rebuilt JBL D110F I had on the shelf in my guitar closet. The Super Champ XD came alive! No more speaker fart, glistening highs, and the famous JBL punch are all present now. Since the SCXD is somewhat of a modelling amp, I tried out the various "voices" and the clean channel works well, but the most intriguing voice is #16, the Acoustisonic voice. The character in this voice really brings my Epi Sheraton and D'Angelico Excel SS out richly. Not surprisingly, that voice works really well with my Taylor 816ce, giving me a practice amp for both electric and acoustic sounds. With the efficiency of the JBL, the 15 6v6 tube watts give sufficient volume for most low volume gigs, giving me a very versatile amp. _561.JPG

18. TheFifth

TheFifth Tele-Meister

A lot will depend if you are looking for built in effects and multiple amp models or just something simple that you can plug into and go. Personally I like a nice simple amp when I practice. One that I don’t spend hours messing with. Just something that gives me a nice basic tone that I can stick a couple of pedals into.

For a year or so now I’ve been using a Pathfinder 10, but I find it a little sterile and almost too ‘hifi’ (if you get what mean). I found that I always needed to put a character pedal in front of it to get a more amp like tone. Personally I used one of the Joyo Tech21 clones.

I have however just picked up a Vox Pathfinder 15r, which is a vast improvement. So I’d second (or is it third?) what’s been said above. If you liked the PF10 the best out of what you’ve tried, you’ll be very happy with a PF15. Finding one can be tricky, but it’s worth the hunt. My home setup now is a PF15 with a couple of drive pedals and a looper. Great tone at TV volumes.

And as a bonus the PF15 is gig friendly too and works great as a stereo rig with my Blues Junior. Really versatile amp.

19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Effects out on the Hotone to the Pre-amp In on the Peavey gives the most volume. I find that it's too loud that way unless I want to annoy my wife while she's watching Real Housewives.

Effects out on the Hotone to the main input on the Peavey isn't quite as loud but still loud enough to draw complaints if I don't keep everything rolled back.

Headphone out on the Hotone into either Peavey input doesn't sound that great. It works for headphones though.

The way I most often run it is the Effects out on the Hotone going into a mixer, then sending the "control room" output to the Peavey's main input. This essentially treats the Bandit's clean channel as a psuedo-FRFR monitor. I can also send the mixer main output to my computer for recording. This gives me a lot of volume control plus the effects loop on the mixer if I want to use it. This worked even better before I lost my Mooer Radar.

arnie5150 likes this.
  20. KG7IL

KG7IL TDPRI Member

I will just toss in my $0.03 (economy is doing good)....
    The current Champion series are quite versatile, affordable and pretty light.
    I picked the 40 since it was dual channel with a 2 button pedal support. (CH and FX)
    The manuals for any of these can be downloaded. It will give you an opportunity to see the number of Voices and Effects to emulate almost any sound you want.

Champion Series:

Scroll down this page for the Champion Series

https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us...der-Guitar-Amplifier-Owner-s-Manuals-Current-

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.