Ppl icking

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by jdolecek48, Apr 21, 2019.

1. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 TDPRI Member

I have been playing guitar for 20years and i still don't feel like i can pick/strum properly. .. .I play met in Drop C so i have always played rythym but now im trying to learn how to play lead. I have never felt comfortable enough to play anything because i suck so that is why I've always played in drop d I wish I could play other stuff I wish I could play something other than a power cord but the truth is that's all I know how to play and then when I pick I make the huge circles I'm just not very precise even after all these years of course in 1973 I was struck by a vehicle going 40 miles an hour that cause me brain damage and I had to go in a coma for 10 days but I'm normal I'm perfectly normal I've just got a little bit of hand dexterity issues not bad just a little I don't know how to play anybody else's song because I've never felt confident enough I guess it's just a grown-up I had so many people telling me I can't do this and I can't do that I'm afraid to try because I know how it felt to be a failure when I couldn't do. .. .. but what's my picking hand I make huge circles I'm just not precise can you give me any suggestions or any suggestions on a easy chord other than power cord that I can jam along with this easy? and yes I've signed up with guitar tracks and all those sites but I am I'm eit to advance for not advanced enough on these patients you know I felt like I was watching for 2 hours over stuff I already knew a lot of times so that's why I thought I'd ask for you if you guys have any suggestions where she could help me in any way so I can learn to play something other than that po other than your typical smoke on the water and junk like that you know how it is so any help let me know please guys it was just hard growing up in people telling you you can't do anything even in my early twenties I would get a job in the employer would say you didn't catch on fast enough so we have to let you go and after you do that number of times did a cell you just didn't feel very good so that's that's why I kind of am with my guitar player where I am so please help me if you guys can

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

If you rest the heel of your palm right on/behind the bridge it helps a lot with picking accuracy.
    I think that's what you're asking.
    Hard to devine from the world's longest sentence.

Foxguy, awasson, Shuster and 4 others like this.
  3. Teleka

Teleka TDPRI Member

Ditch the drop tunings. There's a wealth of material in standard tuning (E,A,D,G,B, E) that will open your ears.

Learn a few tunes with cowboy chords

Use a metronome, and set the tempo to where you can keep the groove, no matter how slow.

Listen to what you play

Keep at it and enjoy, it's all that matters.

awasson, Mr. Neutron and RodeoTex like this.
  4. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

And I came for all the people licking, damn click bait:(

5. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

@jdolecek48... in the 80’s and 90’s I played lead in a bunch of bands that didn’t amount to much and I was good enough to play in those bands but if I’m being honest, my technique sucked. For me it was a combination of not putting the time in because I didn’t know how to appreciate the process of learning, practicing and improving and I think I was scared that I was maybe as good as I’d ever be so I didn’t want to put in the extra effort to find out.

Anyway, I quit music for about 5 years (2005 - 2010) and when I eventually went back to it, I decided I was going to hit reset; forget all of the songs I used to play, riffs I had learned or came up with and I was going to apply myself to really working on my technique. I also wrote down a big list of songs I liked but never bothered to learn how to play. Since I was no longer playing in bands, there was no time limit on how long it would take.

The long and short of it is that it took a while for me to notice improvements but improvements came and because I didn’t put a time limit on how long it would take it didn’t matter if I didn’t notice improvement for 6 or 8 months. I was just going to hammer at it every day.

I practiced really boring exercises and I did them every day and while doing that I tried to consciously pinpoint where the problems were and how I was going to improve. I added other exercises along the way when I thought they might help improve my weaknesses. Eventually and I mean eventually after 6 months or more of practicing really boring exercises every day, I noticed a monumental improvement in my picking and control. It had improved faster than I had been aware of it but I was so caught up in the process of identifying the problems and fixing them, I didn’t notice but when I tried to put my abilities to the test of playing some difficult riffs and solos, I could play them and I could play them properly.

The key for me was to break it down to one or two things to start with. Alternate Picking or left/right coordination. Work on it for a long time and eventually there will be some improvement.

If playing guitar is important to you, I’d recommend trying to really break it down to the basics and practice. Keep one or two songs that you can play in your back pocket to play if you need a confidence boost in the form of “well at least this 3 chord ditty still sounds good”.

Also consider getting a teacher to help. If that teacher doesn’t work out, get a different one. Someone in a recent guitar thread talked about getting a teacher after 29 years of playing and said, “hey professional athletes get trainers... Why don’t guitarists?”. That hit home for me and I’m going to look into getting one too. There are a couple of pieces of music I can play but I still can’t play perfectly up to speed. It’s good to have a challenge. It keeps you trying to get better.

Steve 78 and JL_LI like this.
  6. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Oh, another thing I found handy is while you’re picking yourself apart and finding the areas you need to work on, identify the things you’re good at and congratulate yourself for those things.

Early on in order to relearn how to alternate pick properly I was doing those tedious chromatic alternate picking exercises where you start at the first fret on the low e string and then in succession you play ascending 1,2,3,4 move the the next string 1,2,3,4 and so on when you finish on the high e string you shift up a fret and decend back down the the low e, shift up a fret and carry on repeating the patterns until you get to the 12th fret and then you do the exercise in reverse going back to the first fret. I did those every day and eventually I noticed I could ascend pretty well. Descending needed work and shifting on the low e was better than the high e. Psychologically I think it was good to notice the things I was good at as well as the things I needed to work on.

7. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

What kinda music do you enjoy?

If you are making big circles with your picking hand, maybe you are wasting some motion there? I feel like it is possible to overthink right hand technique on guitar. If you watch a video of 10 different famous guitarists, you are likely to see 10 different right hand techniques.

I also think that you should ditch the open tunings, if possible.

For strumming, if you want to sound like a country guitar player, try googling "boom chuck guitar". If you want to sound like a blues guitarist I would start with googling "flat tire groove guitar." Bob Margolin has a pretty good video on that. If you want to play in 3/4 time (a waltz), just add one more chuck to the boom chuck strum. Boom Chuck Chuck.

You can alter the boom chuck strum to sound like a lot of 90's rock songs. I call it "boom chuck, up down up." It is basically the strumming pattern a lot of people use on "Good Riddance" by Green Day.

Memorizing those cowboy chords individually, then stringing together 2 chords that are really similar is a good way to get started. Notice that you can play an A minor chord and a C chord by only moving your ring finger. That makes learning a song like "Simple Man" by Lynyrd Skynyrd a good exercise in early rhythm guitar playing.

You can also strum an E minor and an Asus2 chord (sounds way worse than it is) by just moving 2 fingers up and down a single string-set each.

If you can extend those power chords out into the full E and A form barre chords, maybe you could play something like Oye Como Va? Playing barre chords at the first fret is harder than up higher on the neck. If the full barre F chord is giving you problems at the first fret, try moving it up a few frets and trying again.

When it doubt, you can always see if someone like Marty Schwartz on youtube has a video on whatever style or song you are looking for.

8. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

i thought this was a post about licking people, or pp now that I am here I'm very disappointed

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.