1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Powering GT-1000 Core with Pedal PSU

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by yejunjung, Apr 8, 2021.

1. yejunjung

yejunjung TDPRI Member

Hi! I currently have a sweet pedal board with all the essential effects and I currently do enjoy them.

But I decided to add Boss Gt-1000 Core multi effect so I can use the entire board itself as a stand-alone recording machine(with amp/cab sim from gt-1000 core)

The power specs for Gt-1000 Core is...

Power supply
    AC adaptor
    Current draw
    670 mA

and the rear of the effect is...

[​IMG]

It does say "Use Roland PSB 1U Adaptor Only"

If possible, using a single PSU, I would like to power

1. VOX V847A Wah
    2. TS9 MINI (tube screamer mini)
    3. MXR Super Badasss
    4. Keeley Caverns Reverb/Delay
    5. MXR Vintage Overdrive
    6. Tc Electronics Forcefield Compressor
    7. Boss Gt-1000 Core

form numbers 1~6, until now I never used a PSU, but a 1spot adaptor which can apparently power up to 21 pedals. (but it is only 9v DC)

is it just better to use a separate Power source for the "pedals" and Gt-1000 core

or is there a way to combined the power source for both the pedals and Gt-100 core?

Thank you so much I always learn so much from all of you.

2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have a Voo Doo Labs Pedal Power Digital PSU with 4 isolated, high current outputs which can supply either 9 or 12 volts. When I got my Line 6 HX Effects unit, I contacted Voo Doo Labs support about doing exactly what you are doing. The HX effects actually needs significantly more current that the GT-1000 Core. They were excellent both with their technical knowledge and their customer support. I ended up ordering a custom cable from them that used two outputs on my PSU to double the available current. It had the correct power connector for the HX Effects, so no additional adapter was required. It works perfectly and I have my entire board powered with on cord. The cable was only something like $14.

I would contact their pre-sales support, since you don’t have one of their PSUs now. They will be able to tell you if they have something that can power the GT Core and what additional cables you may need.

3. mkdaws32

I just looked up the PSB-1U specs. Voo Doo labs will definitely have a product that works. You may still need a custom cable. Any decent pedal power supply with two high current (400ma or more each), isolated, 9V outputs will work with the proper “current doubler” cable. I am using two dedicated outputs on my unit to power the HX Effects and the other 2 outputs to power everting else in two chains. Perfect solution.

4. yejunjung

yejunjung TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

will this do the job? also, can i plug in my "normal" pedals to the"high curent" ports?

5. yejunjung

yejunjung TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

and this?

Killing Floor likes this.
  6. mkdaws32

That will work 4x4 will work perfectly - it has everything mine has and more. I'm not sure which cable for the GT-Core, though. It has to be a "current doubler" and not a "voltage doubler" cable - both exist. And yes you can use high current for normal pedals. The pedals will only "draw" the amount of current they need, but the ports can only supply up to the specified amount. Two 400ma ports can supply enough for the GT-Core (and the HX Effects, even though the HX Effects is rated for more than 800ma - it works and Voo Doo labs supports it). You could use normal 100ma ports, but you'd need 7 of them (to get at least the 670ma that GT Core is spec'd for) - you would need quite a custom current multiplier cable to do that! LOL!

Heres my supply:

dscsofggkftenxmsytn2.jpg

I us the two 9v 400ma ports on the right for the HX effects and the other two 9v ports for the rest of my pedals - the remaining two 400ma ports provide more than enough juice for a board full of regular pedals.

BUT I would definitely still contact VooDoo labs by email support - they will answer in a day or so - to find out how to get the exact custom cable you need. I can't say for certain that the one you posted is correct and it would really suck to hook this all up just to fry something!

7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Personally I’d try it. I’m not the factory guy so...
    But I’d try it. If you have an isolated supply with the correct Voltage and current the device should be fine.
    I say this because A- that’s the reason they include a power supply and B- I have used the Boss multi effect supply for other pedals and have powered a GT1 with my pedal board brick. If your board allows the current through doubling I would try it. Me and I do not constitute a factory engineer endorsement. Me and I take risks for the sake of efficiency.

8. mkdaws32

I would too - but I would never suggest someone else take a risk they were not comfortable with :)

Agreed - any power supply with at least two isolated, high current outputs should work - I just suggested VooDoo labs because I have had such good experience with their products and support - but there are other supplies that will work equally well, for sure. You could still get a custom "GT-1000 Core" cable from VooDoo labs for not much $$ and use it with any PSU that have high current, isolated 9v outputs.

9. Killing Floor

Spot on. I hope I made that clear. I understand the box says exactly what you should do. I accept there is risk. It’s a risk I have tolerance for but do not endorse it.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  10. Killing Floor

I have a CIOKS Powermax that I use to power a leveling amp/compressor that requires 2 outputs to be jumped.

I also have a Walrus Aetos on my Bass board. This has a 3 prong 120V outlet on one side. So look that up. It allows you to power a single 120V load through the board in addition to 8 other pedals. That is a cool feature.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  11. mkdaws32

@Killing Floor - that IS a cool feature - basically just a built in, single outlet power bar, but very convenient! I have a Terror Stamp that I use occasionally - would be nice to have it on my board when I do use, but I don't bother since I have no way to power it. It's basically an Orange Micro Terror in a pedal format with a tube preamp and 20watt class A/B solid state power amp. But it draws too much current for a conventional power brick and it needs 15 volts AC. The Walrus Aetos would solve that problem! I don't use it much, so I won't bother with the Walrus, but it's good to know about for future reference.

12. SuperPA

SuperPA TDPRI Member

I believe pedal power 2+ also has an ac outlet.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  13. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It does.

mkdaws32 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.