1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

powering a pedal with less than the recommended ma

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by teleprompted, Sep 27, 2013.

1. teleprompted

teleprompted Tele-Meister

Hey all, quick question. I just got a new pedal amd its recommended requirements are 300 ma. Seems to work fine with a boss psa which is only 250ma. Anything wrong with this. Am I missing something?

2. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

At times it may crap out, breakup or just have degraded sound.. My Boss Chorus pedal didnt work when I used the Boss PSA1 to power the daisy chain and other pedals were on Visual sound makes a wall wart that is rated at 1700ma.. Got mine from amazon with an 8 plug daisy chain for $26.

3. teleprompted

Ya I have one of those but its maxed out I think. Maybe time for another.

4. xtrajerry

Which pedal is not working right?

5. teleprompted

I just got a new pedal, my board is pretty full. The pedal says it needs 300ma. I happen to have a boss psa I want to use but it's only rated for 250ma. I'm already powering seven pedals with my daisy chain so dont think it would do well.

6. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Tele-Holic

Often the manufacturer's stated power requirement just happens to correspond to the adapter that bears their brand, even when the pedal consumes less curremt than the adapter can source.

Virtually all DC adapters have protection against overload. The worst that'll happen is that your pedal will function poorly or not at all until ypu plug in a suitable adapter.

7. Delta63

Delta63 Tele-Holic

Unless it's digital the pedal will be fine. Starving your digital pedals for amperage could wreck them.

8. teleprompted

Its a reverb so ya its digital. Hope i didnt mess it up by playing it today for an hour with the wrong ps. Thx delta

9. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Tele-Holic

Really? How's that? :confused:

10. kokoshmusun

kokoshmusun Tele-Meister

The Zoom MS-70 CDR is rated at 500 mA I think, but I use a 200 (or 300) mA out and it works fine because the actual consumption is much less than 500. I'm not sure how it could wreck the pedal, but please do explain so I don't get in trouble (has been working fine for a couple weeks since I got the pedal, I play it everyday).

11. xtrajerry

Don't worry it just won't work or will work and the sound will be degraded. If the pedals are working fine I wouldn't sweat it.

12. Coldacre

Coldacre Tele-Meister

this

if it sounds fine and is operating at full capacity, just go with it. I have an old AD-80 that's meant to be powered at 18v, but I run it off 16v from my Supa Charger - not a problem.

13. dngrsdave

dngrsdave Tele-Meister

There are some power supplies that you can vary the output to simulate a worn out or old battery. Sometimes the results are desirable .

I've heard some guitarists will only use alkaline batteries because the say the tone is better.

I'm just Happy when my pedal works when I step on it.

14. teleprompted

Thx guys. It does seem to be working fine just hope im not doing any long term damage. I do like to live on the edge :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.