Powered stage monitor question

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Johnny P, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Johnny P

Johnny P Tele-Meister

I am in the market for a powered stage monitor for a bar band that I just got in. Any thoughts? While the smaller ones that fit on a mic stand are neat, I like the traditional floor wedges, but don't want to break my back, or break the bank. Thinking about $100. Thoughts?

2. JonnyPM

JonnyPM Tele-Meister

Not that I know too much about them, but the research I've done looks mostly at the watts. A lot of reviews/posts say that a 100w monitor will do OK in smaller bars and venues, a 200w does better outside and at larger venues. So maybe see what the smallest, most wattage one that fits the budget is.

JPM

3. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

I absolutely LOVE my Alto TS110A 600W 10in 2-Way Active Speaker. I use two with my 4 piece band and I've never heard myself better!

4. adkima00

adkima00 Tele-Afflicted

This. I have 2 10's and 2 12's and use all as monitors. Everyone in my hand has their own monitor. We've gigged them indoors and out and only ever had to turn them down. They are a little more than your $100, but they do go on sale pretty often at guitar center and musicians friend.

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Unless you come upon something used in a blow out sale, it's gonna take more then $100. I think I paid around $300 for my used RCF powered cab. I think the powered Kustom monitors at GC are about as cheap as you'll find.

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

For a hundred bucks you're probably going to have to go used if you actually want to hear it over a drummer. I've got an old Crate APM75 that I picked up on Craigslist for $75. It works fine.

7. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Those stand mounted ones are fine, as long as you have a mic that is completely null to the rear and you ring it out first. I'm gun shy around them after one started a brutally loud feedback squeal the first time our bassist spoke into his mic.

You might could find a used Behringer floor wedge for that cheap, just don't expect first rate reliability from it.

8. Johnny P

Johnny P Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the tips.

9. Derwood

Derwood TDPRI Member

I've had good luck with both a Mackie TH-12 and a Behringer 12, forget the model. My only complaint would be you can't really make adjustments on the fly because the controls are underneath when using them as a wedge.

10. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We have a Galaxy powered monitor for the lead singer. There is a description and pictures in the post, "Small Monitor Speakers" in this forum.

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Yamaha have a good value line of floor powered wedges..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.