1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Powered mixer to passive speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Medepe82, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Medepe82

Medepe82 TDPRI Member

New to this sound set up and trying to prepare for an event in Sept.. Speakers and singers will be using our sound system. We have a RockvilleRPM109 Powered mixer and are trying to connect to 225 watt 4ohm passive speakers...when we connect XLR to the power outputs volume is really really low....what are we doing wrong? Wondering if we need speak on adapters or if we need to make adjustment to the mixer...

Attached Files:

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Those are Speakon connectors not XLRs on the mixer amp.

I assume you do have right connectors for each end. Just checking.

There also may be master volume knob in addition to the main master levels. My soundcraft powered desk it certainly like that.

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Powered mixer to passive speakers is just a normal setup right? Or are they powered speakers? What are those TP212 posts... on the speaker I assume, are they binding posts or just some kind of weird 1/4" jack that stands up? The "powered output" labeled jacks look like Speakon sockets. So you must need Speakon to 1/4 jack cables or adaptors.

4. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

Not sue what you mean by connecting xlr to the power outputs. I believe the output jacks are for Speakon/ 1/4" connectors. Use speaker wires with 1/4" plugs at each end and plug them into the amp and the speaker (disregard the bridged mode). You will be using this as a left and right PA. Now, on the front, on the right side there will be a switch to use it as a main/main or main/monitor. Put this on main/main. This way both outputs will be using the main graphic eq and master volume control. Plug your mic in the front. Set your main EQ faders flat (in the middle). Turn the main master volume down to about 3. Turn turn the mic channel volume right off. If there is a "pad" button on the mic channel usually right above the inputs, make sure it is off or in the extended position. If there is a gain knob on the mic channel turn it to 12 o'clock. Turn the amp on. Did it make a "thud" noise? If the amp has 48v phantom power, make sure it is off.

At this point, you should be hearing some hiss out of the speakers. Start turning the mic volume up. Does it work? If yes, turn it back down and turn your mains up about halfway (12 oclock). Now start turning the mic up again. You should have tons of volume at this point.

Just make sure that you are using speaker cables between the amp and speakers and not guitar cables.

Let me know how you make out.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  5. Medepe82

Medepe82 TDPRI Member

I didn't mean xlr I meant 1/4 jack

6. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I see that you don't have a gain knob on each channel so that's one less thing to worry about. So from what i see, you only need to worry about the main volume and the channel volume. What kind of mics are you using? Do they have xlr plugs or 1/4" males on the input end?

7. Medepe82

Medepe82 TDPRI Member

Ok, thanks for such a thorough explanation. We have speaker cables, have the phantom off, the PAD off and the switch on Main L/Main R but no thud when turning mixer on?

Attached Files:

8. Medepe82

Medepe82 TDPRI Member

Xlr ends on the mic (dynamic mics)

9. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I downloaded the manual and those are Speakon jacks. They are not dual Speakon/ 1/4" jacks. So you will require speakon to 1/4" speaker cables.

10. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

Unplug the mic and turn the mains all the way up....is there any hiss from the horns?? If there is nothing then you definitely need the speakon connectors. Shut it down until you get the correct cables

11. Medepe82

Medepe82 TDPRI Member

We wondered, but bought it new and the manual says they are dual speak on combo jack's...? Seems to fit in the center...so we weren't sure.

12. Medepe82

Medepe82 TDPRI Member

Nope.

13. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

Didn't they give you a crash course at the store where you bought it? Are you sure the speakers are good? Are they new too?? Are the speaker cables pushed in all the way in both the amp and speaker?? This is very perplexing.

14. Medepe82

Medepe82 TDPRI Member

If we plug in to front Jack's, we get sound from both the monitors and mains but not very much volume at all....

15. Medepe82

Medepe82 TDPRI Member

We didn't go to a store front for it bought it from the website.we were hoping the manual would be more helpful. The speakers we bought from an acquaintance who showed us and they blew us out of the garage. We are perplexed too! Hmmm...

16. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

What front jacks are you talking about? The 3 jacks on the lower front right that say Mon/L/R are not output jacks but rather "line out" jacks to feed a separate monitor and main amp if you were playing a huge venue. Your amp outputs are on the back. I know that the store told you that the output jacks were hybrids but it doesn't say that in the manual. I wouldn't try running it anymore without the proper cables as you may fry the output transistors. I'm surprised that there aren't 1/4" plugs back there. I have some cheap Behringer speakers that have both a speakon and a 1/4" plug at the back.

17. Medepe82

Medepe82 TDPRI Member

Thanks souch for all your info, yes we were told it was a combo on thi icer. We will get some adapters and try.

18. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

On the front, right-hand side, there is a Switch (# 29 in your manual).
    It describes the Output functions of your Unit. Read it carefully.
    Make sure the unit is turned OFF before you change settings.

19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Yes it has them, but labeled "level"

20. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

Some units, like my buddy's Yorkville, have a level and a "TRIM" pot on each channel. Not sure what it does exactly, but I would set it at about 12 o'clock too.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.