1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Power transformers

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by savvy, Aug 17, 2010.

1. savvy

savvy Tele-Meister

Hi,I am building an amplifier based on the SE-5a Ampmaker and have a PT running 255v as against the schem which calls for 190-0-190v.I am assured this is ok and have a modified schem and rectifier circuit with 4 diodes to suit the PT.My question is what difference will this make?more headroom,more power? The 2
    valves I am using are an ECC82/12AU7 (2 stages) and then into an EL34 power stage. all heater voltages etc are as schematic.Thanks

2. laird

laird Tele-Holic

The SE-5a is based on an EL84 power tube, which would run fine from 255v rectified from a 190-0-190 PT. 255v would be a very low voltage for running an EL34 - they're usually run around 400-450v.

Could you link the schematic are you working from?

-Laird

3. tele_wah_fuzz

tele_wah_fuzz Tele-Meister

Higher voltage = tighter low end and slightly more headroom and clarity. Lower voltage = more sag and overdrive.

Eddie Van Halen used to variac his Marshalls to drop the B+ voltage to get that "brown sound"

4. savvy

savvy Tele-Meister

I don't know if this will work but this is the modified schem or at least the jpeg of it.I havn't tried this before.The original schem is on ampmaker.com site as SE-5a british sound.I have the OT and am using an old Ibanez chassis.Cheers

Attached Files:

5. laird

laird Tele-Holic

Yeah, that's an EL84 in the schematic. What gives it away is the connection to pin 9... EL34's only have 8 pins. ;) Your 255v B+ should be just fine, though I expect you'll find the 12AU7 won't drive hard enough.

-Laird

6. savvy

savvy Tele-Meister

Yes Laird my dropped bo--ock,I typed it wrong:oops:I have 2 ecc82/12au7's here so I thought I would try those first,if they don't work then I will sub an ecc83/12ax7I am doing it on a shoestring and so far it has cost £50.00 and all I need now is a 4pin input socket,power on sp switch(I have the power switch) and 5 pots, so maybe another £5.00 (gbp) oh and build a pine head cab to match my speaker cab,so all in all about 86 USD.:)
    Thanks for your input,all the bits should be here tomorrow:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.