1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Power transformer readings

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Jewellworks, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Jewellworks

Jewellworks Tele-Meister

ive got this power transformer that came out of an old Ampro Projector that was running 3, 6V6's, 5Z4, 6SJ7, 6J5 and something else... i planned on using it for my "Vintage Build" and i just got around to finding out whether its dead or not. turns out its not. so yay. but i wanted to post the readings i was getting from it, un-installed, and just sitting on my workbench. -to see if anything jumps out as abnormal, or is it good to go?

OHM READINGS:
    primary: 5.9ohms

2ndary:
    HT: 217.4
    HT-a to C/T: 103
    HT-b to C/T: 114.6

6.3v Filament: .03
    F-a to C/T: .02
    F-b to C/T: .04

5v Heater: .03

VOLTAGES: using a variac, i set the input to the primary at 120VAC

2ndary: HT: 862 VAC (!!)
    HT-a to C/T: 432
    HT-b to C/T: 429

6.3v Filament: 7.53
    F-a to C/T: 3.77
    F-b to C/T: 3.73

5v Heater: 5.77

im concerned about what looks like an enormous voltage on the HT 2ndary, and it being un-even on either side of the C/T by just a few volts. i can always knock the voltage back with some big resistors, but im sure the un-even-ness will this balance out with the filter caps.

the 6.3v filament seems high, but theres no load. can i add a Humdinger to balance the load? with a C/T filament? ive seen posts with people talking about "elevated filaments" but i dont really know how that works, or for what purpose.

im thinking its good overall, but probably way more than what i need for my Vintage build. but its what i have on hand, so there you go.

thoughts?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.