1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Power tool safety

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Dpalms, Nov 4, 2020.

1. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

2. Dpalms

Dpalms Tele-Meister

thanks everyone for the replies. Lots of good advice here.

3. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Just be careful. This is the aftermath of me VS a medium sized drill bit about 25 years ago. I lost.

[​IMG]

4. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

things i learnt in the woodworking school.

1 keep your floor clean, so you will not stumble and get with your hand in the saw.
    2 always make a dry run with the router to see if you can reach everything you want to do
    also with the table saw if you use wide ore long pieces of wood
    3 router depth when routing, only half of the diameter of the bit.
    so 12 mm diameter, routing depth 6 mm a run

but most of all: think before you do, when doing, think
    focus on your work, let nothing take that focus away.
    use hearing en eye protection.
    have respect for the forces that you are working with.
    not fear, but knowing what these tools can do with you when you don't respect its capability.

and yes, woodworking is fun

Frodebro likes this.
  5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned (I may have missed it) is to always be aware of your position when using any power tool. It's no different from the rule about how, when on a ladder, to keep your hips between the stringers (sides) of the ladder.

When operating a power tool, have both feet flat on the floor and be balanced on both feet...and not just at the start of the operation.

When working with large material, rehearse your operation because your starting position may be different from your ending position. If you rehearse the move and your ending position has all your weight on one foot or you're up on your toes, that is an invitation to injury. If the material moves you out of position or you lose your balance, very bad things can happen.

I've been doing woodwork and metalwork for many years (several years professionally), and I have lost count of the number of my pals and coworkers that had permanent scars or were missing fingers or an eye due to one second of complacency.

As soon as you think, "oh, it's risky for just for a second...I'm almost finished," that may be the one second of risk you regret for the rest of your life. The absolute best safety feature is the one between your ears.

I have a sort of ritual anytime I'm about to use power tools, and it's this: before I begin, I look at both hands and say to myself, "You're starting with 10 fingers, and you'll finish with 10 fingers." That always puts my brain in a good place and gets me thinking about safety.

You bet it is!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.