1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Power ties

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Nov 28, 2020.

1. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have the fretboard tie pictured above.
    I have a navy blue with little red Stratocasters on it.
    I have a navy blue with brightly colored guitar pics; some even say "heavy".
    I also have a lot of whimsical ties as well.
    When I had to wear ties, I did not take them seriously.

2. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

ae235.jpg i first thought he meant those
    pub i used to frequent..if anyone wore a tie barmaid would cut it off wearer with scissors and nail it up behind bar....long row of various coloured severed ties in there...i mean...ties?...in a ruff old bikers pub?
    used those cable ties to colour code lifting gear for years...change the colour every 6 months after inspection

Tommy Biggs and trev333 like this.
  3. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

If I have to wear a tie, it means somebody else has the Power.

4. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Ties are too formal for my crowd .

5. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

Red might still be the power tie... but my Jerry Garcia tie is the one that gets attention from the girls, and that's REAL power.

Tommy Biggs, djh22 and P Thought like this.
  6. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

i think a "power tie" would be the ones with a steel reinforcement band.
    The kind the police used to use for group arrests.

Dont ask. :confused:

Wulf likes this.
  7. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

same same...dont ask...

8. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Attitude:

My youngest brother was getting married.
    Upon receiving invitation I replied-
    "If this shindig requires a jacket and tie, I ain't comin'!"
    i was assured it would be fine. And that I wouldnt be asked to direct traffic in the parking lot. :mad:

9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

How I feel about neckties...

[​IMG]

10. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I haven't had to wear a tie in many a year, but when I had to, it was one designed by this guy.
    [​IMG]

djh22 and Mike Eskimo like this.
  11. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sorry Larry F, I am simply not a trend setter or follower when it comes to Power Ties.

Maybe someday. Maybe. :)

12. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I wear a tie about once a year for the last 15 years. The ones I wear are all woolen tartans from Scotland. Clans of Duncan, Robertson, and Gunn. I'm actually a Duncan, but Robertson and Duncan are septs of the same clan; my wife is a Gunn (we think) and I like that tartan.

I haven't really looked lately to see if any have moth holes.

I do have a "Friday tie" from the 70's that shows a guy with his feet resting on the drafting table while he smokes a cigarette, with an inscription "P.O.E.T.S" That stands for "Piss on Everything, Tomorrow's Saturday". My mom bought it for me from the Yale Co-op back in 1974.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  13. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

The power tie craziness dates from when professional men wore a jacket and tie to the office. I was thought something of an oddball because my concession to that lunacy was to wear a sport jacket on the way in and toss it over the back of my chair before I sat down. Ties? I wore mostly stripes. Red paisley? Never.

Then came casual Friday where management was judged more by the badge over their left nipple than on actually being able to reach a goal that wasn't reached for them by someone below them. This was followed by the casual workplace. Business casual gave Brooks Brothers something to sell to yuppies who had a closet full of suits they now only wore to weddings and funerals.

The workplace these days is anything goes. Brooks Brothers filed for bankruptcy. Any wonder? No one who works for me remembers power ties. There are no more mandatory factory uniforms for engineers and technicians, although one tech still wears his. I had to tell one guy last year no more Confederate flag T shirts. And no I don't care what southern rock band's album cover it is.

It's funny that my opinion on appropriate workplace dress hasn't changed much. Suits and ties are for lawyers, life insurance salesmen, and undertakers. And at least the undertakers never wore power ties. Business casual is fine with me with a jacket over the back of my chair for when someone comes for an interview. Jeans and T shirts are the opposite extreme from power ties and I don't like either for the same reason. I associate both with a bad attitude.

P Thought likes this.
  14. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have that one! It's among the 20 or so I've kept; I gave about 200 away to the kids my last semester teaching, those including a group of red "power ties" from an earlier life.

Most of the other ties I kept were the ones my mom made for me. I don't expect I'll be wearing ties very often in the future.

Edit: ties were never required at school, but I always wore one. J. Garcia ties were the "power" ties there; I had quite a few of them.

JL_LI likes this.
  15. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I detest ties with every fiber of my being. I have worn one maybe 5 times in the last 30 years. My kids have instructions; at my funeral service someone is to announce that all ties, if present, are to be removed at the request of the deceased.

I would be interested in learning the history of neck ties, and how grown men were persuaded to put a noose around their neck. I think it has something to do with sword play superstition, and warding off the blade in medieval times.

16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

The man who wears a tie the fewest number of times in his whole life is hereby declared the winner and champeen. o_O

MarkieMark likes this.
  17. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

I read the first page of replies thinking that you were talking about colored nylon cable ties that are oversized to handle large gauge power supply cables.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  18. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I drew this cartoon about 30 years ago, when “fish” ties, looking like salmon, were briefly fashionable. It was published on my refrigerator, where it hangs today.
    upload_2020-11-29_8-44-26.jpeg

P Thought likes this.
  19. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a few Garcia-designed ties and have always smiled at the irony that he never wanted to wear collared shirts.

P Thought likes this.
  20. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I had to wear a tie for the last 10 years of my career. I disliked it pretty intensely, but I also found that I was much less likely to be pulled over, and more likely to get off with a warning if I was wearing a tie, even though I kinda looked like Charles Manson on court day.

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.