Power Supply

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by riffguy, Jul 18, 2013.

1. riffguy

riffguy TDPRI Member

looking for advice on a power supply for a few pedals I use. I'm a hobby player so I don't need the top of the line gear. The one spot is an option, but I also liked the JOYO JP-02, with each pedal plugging in separately. suggestions please.

2. Kestrel

Kestrel Tele-Afflicted

On the planet where the alphabet starts with "Z"
    How many pedals do you have and how much are you willing to spend? If you are a hobbyist and only have a few pedals, then a 1Spot would probably be the most cost effective option.

If you want something a bit more tidy and allows you to plug in each pedal seperately, and you don't mind spending more, you could consider the MXR DC Brick. I have one one my pedalboard powering 8 pedals and it works great. I got it to replace my TRex Fuel Tank Chameleon that went defective. I really like the DC Brick. The outputs aren't isolated like the TRex Chameleon or Voodoo Lab PP2+, but noise isn't an issue with the 8 pedals it's powering.

3. sagaci

sagaci Tele-Meister

List the pedals you use. It's hard to recommend a power supply without knowing your pedal requirements.

4. riffguy

riffguy TDPRI Member

the pedals i'm using- love pedal eternity fuse, corbon copy delay, mad professor golden chello, rc 3 loop station, just picked up a rat pedal ( to replace the chello) and looking for a el capitan delay. all pluged in the front of a vox ac15. would like to keep cost around $100

5. ftgjr

ftgjr Tele-Meister

I'm a hobby player and play in a band for fun. I've been using a 1spot to power a Crybaby, TS-9, MI Effects Crunchbox, Boss CS-3, Boosta Grande, Hoof Fuzz, Digidelay and Zoom G3 and have no noise. I've seen others comment about noise.

I almost bought a used PP-2 on CL but didn't see the point, even though it was a great price.

I would start with the 1spot because it is inexpensive. You could always buy something more later on if needed.

6. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I'd start with the 1spot too.. Even if you eventually move onto an isolated power supply the 1 spot will always come in handy. I'd pass on the Joyo PS, might consider the Biyang model but wonder if that would be the most economical in the long run. Voodoo power supplies are proven to be reliable.

7. SwampFuzz

SwampFuzz Tele-Holic

In addition to the one-spot you'll need a daisy chain. Keep in mind that guitar pedals draw milliamps and the power supply must put out the same or more milliamps than the pedal(s) it's plugged into. Make sure the combined milliamps of all the pedals together doesn't exceed the milliamps the power supply puts out, otherwise you'll damage your pedals. A one-spot puts out like 1700mA so for your pedals that should be more than enough, but some other power supplies (including Boss) put out as little as 200mA, so just be aware of that. Most pedals that run on 9V typically draw less than 20mA, but some pedals draw more, like the Fulltone Dejavibe that draws about 100 mA. Keep that in mind for future pedal purchases.

Here's a link to a very thorough explanation:
    http://www.pedalsnake.com/page.php?id=68

and a link from ^that^ to a list of pedals and how many milliamps they draw:
    http://stinkfoot.se/power-list

and one more that shows you how to check the pedal milliamps yourself:
    http://stinkfoot.se/archives/821

Also make sure all the pedals you daisy chain run on a 9v negative center pin (each pedal will have a little diagram next to the power pin). If any of them have special power supplies, don't daisy chain them or you'll damage them.

The right one is a negative polarity pin. If you have a pedal with a positive pin, you'll need a separate supply
    [​IMG]

8. SwampFuzz

SwampFuzz Tele-Holic

I have a couple reservations about the Voodoo Lab power supply, but correct me if I'm wrong. One, each channel only puts out 100mA so that won't be any good if you have a pedal that draws more than 100mA. Two, you can't connect any special power supplies to it. Some pedals, like the TC Nova delay, require their own power supply. You can't use the Voodoo Lab power supply to power these pedals.

If you have pedals that require their own supplies plus pedals that can be daisy chained to a one spot and you plug all those into a standard power strip and into the wall socket, you could be dealing with a lot of unwanted 60 cycle hum. A good solution is a power conditioner like a Furman PL 8C...not cheap, but they certainly do the trick.

9. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

I use a Cioks DC8 which has more than enough options for my needs but may be a little overkill for yours. Still, check them out as they have a good range of products and IMHO reasonably priced.

10. themandolinguy

themandolinguy Tele-Meister

11. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

Voodoo Lab Power Pedal 2+

12. xtrajerry

Don't know which voodoo ps you're looking at, the pp2+ does all that.. There are other ps options too. My point is that the Joyo may very well not be as economical as it seems since it is unproven. If/when it fails it will need to be replaced. IMO Joyo quality is sub par, based on personal experiances. The OneSpot may be all that's needed. If it turns out you need an isolated ps the OneSpot will still be useful on occasion.

13. k tone

k tone Tele-Afflicted

My Boss RC-2 did not play well with a daisy chain. Being a digital pedal it put a high pitched whine through the whole system.

14. Rob1215

Rob1215 TDPRI Member

The 1 spot is overpirced, get the Danelectrode power supply, you get 5 plugs, but you can just get an extension plug and still spend less than you would on the 1 spot.

15. xtrajerry

I picked up the OneSpot with 8 plug daisy chain for $26 shipped from amazon. Can't find any info on the current rating for the Danlectro PS, the OneSpot is 1700 mA which is more than any of the others I've seen. The Boss PS for instance is 200 mA. Also the OneSpot daisy chain has right angle plugs.. Much easier and neater than the straight plugs on other daisy chains... For me the $26 OneSpot makes a lot more sense than a $17 Danelectro. Don't use it regularly, have an isolated PS with my Stagefive board, but it's nice to have when I want to play with pedals that are not on my board without rearranging everything.

16. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Joyo PS (the one that is a copy of the Brick) and it failed after a couple months of bedroom use. It worked one second, unplugged it to switch around a couple pedals, when I plugged it back in it was dead.

If you are wanting to go with something similar I would spend the extra $20 or so and get the T-Rex Fuel Tank JR or more preferably the Chameleon. I have used the chameleon for close to a year and love it.

I also use the Godlykes version of the 1spot as well and have never had an issue. I think they are like $25 with the daisy chain. I use it when I don't need 18v.

You are using some real nice pedals, no sense in cheaping out on a PS.

17. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Godlyke makes a similar product that is 2000mA.

18. xtrajerry

Thanks.. That's good to know.. Not always easy to find that info.. I didn't realize there was so much of a difference until I daisy chained my boss chorus pedal with the boss wall wart and it sounded all farty..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.