Power screwdriver?

LaMarr-Bruister

TDPRI Member
Arthritis in my wrist is making turning a bunch of screws a painful event. I’m sure final tightening of anything guitar related should be by hand, but is anyone using a power driver to remove screws and at least get them started? I want to clean up the wiring on a strat pickguard that I bought for my kiddo, but the thought of removing the pickguard and reinstalling is maddening.

Any recommendations for a model or are they all the same?

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
Black and Decker. Inexpensive, runs on 4 standard alkaline AA cells. Reversible. More than enough torque for guitar work.

Buy a 1/4” cup tuning adapter. Makes quick work of string changes.

Edit: Also buy a screwdriver bit set for 1/4” drive that includes #1 & #2 Phillips and small Torx bits. You’ll thank me later.

Last edited:

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
Oh man, when we got our house in 2008, a friend got me a Makita, said I would need it. He was not kidding. I could not live without it now. Been using it heavily ever since for all kinds of jobs, from home maintenance to amp maintenance. Life saver! It came with two batteries and both are still holding a good charge, after 14 years of use.

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Black and Decker. Inexpensive, runs on 4 standard alkaline AA cells. Reversible. More than enough torque for guitar work.

Edit: Also buy a screwdriver bit set for 1/4” drive that includes #1 & #2 Phillips and small Torx bits. You’ll thank me later.

Exactly this. I own a half dozen cordless drills, but I have a B&D cordless drill I use specifically for removing and installing light switches/plates and outlet switches/plates. It is also a great tool for guitar hardware and string winding. <Edit> I bought this model because it was the cheapest I could find without ordering (about $20 at Walmart).

IMG_2392.jpg

Last edited:

LaMarr-Bruister

TDPRI Member
Exactly this. I own a half dozen cordless drills, but I have a B&D cordless drill I use specifically for removing and installing light switches/plates and outlet switches/plates. It is also the perfect tool for guitar hardware and string winding.

View attachment 986120
Thanks. That seems small enough to use for a while and not aggravate my wrist.

Do you know the model number?

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
Exactly this. I own a half dozen cordless drills, but I have a B&D cordless drill I use specifically for removing and installing light switches/plates and outlet switches/plates. It is also the perfect tool for guitar hardware and string winding.

View attachment 986120
This is the exact model I have. Get it with the bit set:

BLACK+DECKER Cordless Screwdriver, Alkaline with Screwdriver Bit Set, 42-Piece (BCF601AA & BDA42SD)

WRHB

Tele-Meister

View attachment 986120
Same here. And my arthritic hands have never been happier.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I want to clean up the wiring on a strat pickguard that I bought for my kiddo, but the thought of removing the pickguard and reinstalling is maddening.

I also have the Black & Decker model mentioned earlier.

One hint for pickguard and tuner screws is to lubricate them before inserting them (that's what she said).

LaMarr-Bruister

TDPRI Member
I also have the Black & Decker model mentioned earlier.

One hint for pickguard and tuner screws is to lubricate them before inserting them (that's what she said).
Lol, thanks. I always scrape the screw across some canning wax (that’s probably not the official name) before screwing them in. No point in asking for problems 😀

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter

Exactly this. I own a half dozen cordless drills, but I have a B&D cordless drill I use specifically for removing and installing light switches/plates and outlet switches/plates. It is also a great tool for guitar hardware and string winding.

View attachment 986120

This is a good one for almost everything around the house. I'm gonna pick up a new one as I just burned up the one I've had probably ten years assembling some box furniture for Mrs. ((I'll change the batteries first...they may be depleted 😂🤣)).

Note that it is capable of a fair amount of torque, so go easy on the little screws until you are used to it.

t-ray

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Be real careful not to strip the holes when putting the screws back in. If you can, get a model with a clutch and set it very light. As you and others have already said, final tightening should be by hand.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I have two B&Ds. One can be used as a pistol or straight. The other is a small pistol. I try not to use them on guitars, but I don't have much arthritis yes. They are kinda hard to tell if threads are buggered. I always like to start my screws c-clockwise to make sure the threads are aligned before screwing clockwise.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I use one for most everything but NOT pickguards. Too easy to strip those little holes out. They should not be hard to turn...?