Power, no sound.

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by gobi_grey, Oct 2, 2019.

1. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

I busted off a 6v6 center pin on a monoprice 5 watt. I was a little too rough and those cheap chinese tubes have brittle plastic. Maybe I broke a solder joint too? I did reflow those joints but it didn't fix it. I also accidently put a 5y3 in the 6v6 socket and powered it up. Could that fry something? I also accidently powered up with no speaker load. Yes, I was having a rough day! No smoke, nothing looks burnt. No "pops". I'm thinking it has to do with my rough treatment of the 6v6 socket. Any help would be great!

2. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

So what about the 6V6 you broke the center key. What did you replace that with?

3. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Meister

No good mate! Visually inspect all the joints on the 6v6 pins and look closely at the sockets themselves to make sure nothing has snapped in there. Verify that there is appropriate resistance across the output transformer as well.

You can then look at installing the tubes, connect the speaker or dummy load and look at voltages, continuity from there. Hopefully you havent fried anything.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

If putting the proper tubes in their proper sockets in the proper orientation does not bring the amp to life, it is tech time. Could you have fired something? Yes. Until one can take voltage and continuity measurements, the mystery will continue. What could have been Fried? Worst case.....power transformer, output transformer. Best case..a resistor.

corliss1 likes this.
  5. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Thanks, I really don't know how to do all that. Not sure what the resistance across the transformer should even be or what or where to check voltages. Darn it. The amp isn't even worth taking to a tech. Would probably be cheaper to just buy a new one!

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

There you go....we live in a throwaway society. Build it cheap so that when it breaks...or you break it...you just get another that is built the same way. Or....does one put enough money into something so that one would want to maintain it and use it for say???? 50 years? The old saying generally holds true....you get what you pay for.
    And, fwiw and FYI, old production tubes’ locator pins were breakable, too.
    A tech could ascertain in sort order wether or not the transformers should still work. But, yeah.....I would advise putting your money into something that will be worthy of repair. Such equipment usually yields better Sonics, too.

7. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

I have a Lil Dawg Champ clone. I got the monoprice to throw the guts inside an old radio cab. The monoprice sounds, or sounded great and I didn't want to tear apart an expensive amp for this project.

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.