1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Power cord upgrade question...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Brewbaker, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Brewbaker

Brewbaker Tele-Meister

When you switch from a two wire cord to a three wire--say on a Blackface Fender should you leave coutesy jack out of the circuit since it's only two conductor? I haven't been able to find a source for a three prong model.

2. MJ Harnish

MJ Harnish Tele-Meister

Personally I would just leave it as is and not use it; value-wise it's a bad idea to replace it since the amp is "less original."

If you're going to take the time to install a 3-conductor cord (which is critical IMO for safety), you should also rewire the fuse holder so that it's connected correctly: A lot of the old Fenders have it wired backwards so that the power cord goes to the base of the holder rather than the cap. What this means is that theoretically you could go could get electrocuted (more likely just a nasty shock) trying to change the fuse if it gets stuck inside the body of the holder (which happens pretty frequently). Not a very likely occurrence but it's worth the time IMO.

It also would be a good idea to move it to the same lead as the switch is on (a lot of Fenders have the fuse holder on one leg of the AC (white wire) and the switch on the other (black) which is not exactly good practice (since it allows for the scenario I described above to occur). :(

3. EMan

EMan Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.