Powdered eggs and canned bacon.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Sep 24, 2020.

  1. johnny k

    johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

    Posts:
    5,605
    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2011
    Location:
    France
    I was reading [​IMG] kindly advised to me by @stxrus.

    and the breakfast for the folks flying those planes was powdered eggs and canned bacon. And coffee.
    What are powdered eggs ? I think i already had some because the eggs i eat where i work are completely different from the eggs i cook home. Canned bacon i can think of but powdered eggs, no clues.

    Edit i liked the book. I also read the book @tubegeek advised me to, a mighty fortress.
    The other books on that thread, https://www.tdpri.com/threads/books-about-flying-bombardiers-during-ww2.1041082/page-2
    were a bit expensive for 2nd hand books. I still want to find the wrong stuff by truman smith.
     
    old soul and String Tree like this.
  2. tery

    tery Doctor of Teleocity

    Posts:
    11,050
    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2012
    Location:
    Tennessee
    Powdered eggs is like powdered milk ... just add water and enjoy .
     
    Dan R and johnny k like this.
  3. rangercaster

    rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

    Posts:
    8,489
    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    Location:
    Knoxville TN for now
    Any type of food is a good alternative to being hungry ...
     
    Obsessed, Tonetele, old soul and 6 others like this.
  4. joealso

    joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

    Posts:
    826
    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2012
    Location:
    Chester Co, PA
    Powdered eggs? Perhaps they come from boneless chickens.

    Canned Bacon, on the other hand, sounds like a great name for a band.
     
  5. beagle

    beagle Friend of Leo's

    Age:
    61
    Posts:
    4,039
    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2010
    Location:
    Yorkshire
    Powdered eggs were what you could get when food was rationed. The only way to get fresh eggs was to keep chickens.
     
    Obsessed, Tonetele and johnny k like this.
  6. spurgie79

    spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

    Posts:
    1,174
    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2010
    Location:
    IA/MO line
    A Higher Call is also good. It's about a German pilot that escorted a badly damaged B-17 to friendly lines and the two pilots met later and became friends.
     
  7. johnny k

    johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

    Posts:
    5,605
    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2011
    Location:
    France
    Ok now i get it. So it was more of a scrambled egg thing than fried eggs.
     
  8. JJLC

    JJLC Tele-Holic

    Posts:
    544
    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Location:
    Midwest
    the below should help you whip up a great meal with the above ingredients ............

    dehyd water NEW (2).jpg
     
  9. johnny k

    johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

    Posts:
    5,605
    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2011
    Location:
    France
    Especially if you had to risk your life for 7 hours in a plane in -50C degrees.
    I don't think anyone talked about the dinners after those missions.
     
    mexicanyella likes this.
  10. johnny k

    johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

    Posts:
    5,605
    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2011
    Location:
    France
    Those 2 books gave me a new point of view for those flying planes during WW2. You had to fly 25 missions to be able to get home, and doctors established a 2 or 3 shellshock steps happening to you after the 5 or 10 first missions, after the 20th, and so on.

    An anecdote i can remember was a guy in the crew telling we have got 4 % on each mission to not come back, X 25 times, means we don't stand a chance. A more optimistic guy answered but that means we have 96% chances of coming back on each mission.

    Really interesting reads if you want to learn more.

    @spurgie79 i am going to try to find this one.
     
    Tonetele likes this.
  11. Chandlerman

    Chandlerman TDPRI Member

    Posts:
    85
    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2011
    Location:
    Central Coast Cal
    Powdered eggs can be quite tasty.

    [​IMG]
     
    tery and johnny k like this.
  12. spurgie79

    spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

    Posts:
    1,174
    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2010
    Location:
    IA/MO line
    There are interviews with those two pilots on YouTube explaining their thoughts about the situation. It might make your eyes sweat.
     
    Jlwctn and johnny k like this.
  13. stormsedge

    stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

    Posts:
    3,025
    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2012
    Location:
    E. Tennessee, USA
    I've probably eaten more than five times my weight in powdered eggs over the years. It was always a treat to go in port and get real eggs on the table :).
     
    Rustbucket, drmordo, Jlwctn and 2 others like this.
  14. johnny k

    johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

    Posts:
    5,605
    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2011
    Location:
    France
    From what i read, yeah. Were there any good realistic sort of movies based upon the experience of those guys ?
     
  15. johnny k

    johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

    Posts:
    5,605
    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2011
    Location:
    France


    The nine o nice was mentionned in Half a wing. A few of those planes made it after a lot of missions.
     
  16. JL_LI

    JL_LI Friend of Leo's

    Age:
    70
    Posts:
    3,731
    Joined:
    May 20, 2017
    Location:
    Long Island, NY
    I ate powdered eggs in college which was weird because there was a chicken farm 5 miles away. They look like wet soggy scrambled eggs and taste worse. The good news is that there’s a modern equivalent. Marriott uses eggs poured from a milk carton for steam table breakfasts and omelettes. Not much better IMO and intolerable at a high end hotel.
     
  17. esseff

    esseff Tele-Afflicted

    Age:
    65
    Posts:
    1,479
    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2014
    Location:
    East Midlands, UK
    You haven't tasted my ex's cooking...
     
  18. ponce

    ponce Tele-Afflicted

    Age:
    40
    Posts:
    1,152
    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2011
    Location:
    Croatia
    My grandma told me they called them Truman's eggs here in the late 1940's.:lol:
     
  19. memorex

    memorex Friend of Leo's

    Age:
    70
    Posts:
    4,278
    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2015
    Location:
    Chicago
    Powdered eggs and Spam. You had to be there to appreciate it.
     
    johnny k likes this.
  20. Dan R

    Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

    Age:
    62
    Posts:
    5,667
    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2003
    Location:
    Charleston, SC
    My Dad was on a Destroyer in the Navy for two years or so. He said powdered eggs and powdered milk were the order of the day for reasons of practicality. The first thing most sailors ordered when they went ashore was steak and eggs.
     
    black_doug and johnny k like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.