1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pots, jack and Switch?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Wamba, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Wamba

Wamba TDPRI Member

Next week I'll be installing Dimarzio Area T pickups (hot bridge) in my ASAT Tribute. Do I need to upgrade the wiring and pots while I'm in there? If so, what are the recommended upgrade options?

The same goes for the pickup selector... Upgrade? 4 way?

And the jack?

Thank in advance.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

What pots etc are in it? I would go with CTS pots if it doesnt have them and Fender has them at your music store usually. If it comes with Alphas, they are pretty good, although I have seen different quality of Alphas in some Chinese guitars. If they are just chinese junk.. swap them out! I had a set of Dimarzio pots once and they were terrible pots, so be careful about buying anything oddball like that. Your wiring should be fine. Doesnt matter.
    Always use Switchcraft jacks... again Fender label would be these also.

3. Wamba

Wamba TDPRI Member

Whatever comes in the G&L Tributes.

4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm not that familiar with G&L Tributes, but I think those are Korea or Indonesia made right? So it's likely you should change out the pots. But as I said, you could check your local music store for fender pots and if they have them in stock, get it apart and see what it already has.

5. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Area T series is made to use 'typical' Tele type values - so 250k pots are the 'yardstick' for these.

Wamba likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.