Pots for Teles w/HB (neck) and Single coil (bridge)?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Bob M, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Special Brew

Special Brew Tele-Meister

There are a couple more lugs to solder but I wouldn't call it complicated. Check out this thread http://www.tdpri.com/threads/tele-bridge-tone-wiring-mod.78280/

You need the diagram shown by deaf eddie[​IMG]

but no cap on the switch. I would use a 0.047uf for the single coil bridge and a 0.022uf for the neck humbucker. That is the convention. Many people will recommend over values but that is the best place to start IMO.

boris bubbanov and nmssis like this.
  2. nmssis

nmssis TDPRI Member

on the stack (i'm assuming that's the tone pot)...the bottom one is the 250k and the top is the 500k...and ignore the cap on the switch? and the single volume is still 250k or does it matter?

Special Brew likes this.
  3. Special Brew

Special Brew Tele-Meister

As you look at the diagram the bottom is 250K, the Top is 500K (bridge / neck) speaking with the shaft pointing up the bottom is 500K and the top is 250K IIRC. Ignore the cap on the switch (don't connect anything). Looking at the switch in the diagram from the top left moving clockwise the lugs are common, neck, middle, bridge, common, bridge, middle, neck. So when in the bridge selection (working clockwise from top left 1-8) lugs 4 and 6 are live so the cap as well as the bridge is live, in the middle position lugs 3 and 7 are live, etc. the single volume is still 250K.

nmssis likes this.
  4. nmssis

nmssis TDPRI Member

never done this before so kinda excited and bit nervous lol...

thanks!

5. nmssis

nmssis TDPRI Member

another noob question....does that ground go on between the bridge and the body or onto the p'up base plate?

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG]

6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

It gets sammiched between the bottom of the bridge plate and one of the pickup mounting screw tubes. The mounting screw goes through it and the tube keeps it pressed against the plate.

nmssis likes this.
  7. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Fender now sells 375k pots if you want to just split the difference.

8. nmssis

nmssis TDPRI Member

ooh....have you ever heard one wired up?

9. nmssis

nmssis TDPRI Member

excellent, thank you!

10. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I've got the 375k pots in one of my guitars along with the resistor mod for the bridge p/up. The pots are a compromise but may work for you. I'll probably be swapping them out for 500k and a resistor to brighten the HB a little more. I think whether they work or not will depend on your pickups and taste. As stated above, plain old 250k work for some players.

11. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If your going with a full size bucker. I would tend to go with the 500k. And resistor the bridge single coil.

If it's a mini-hum or Firebird type the 375k would probably work for both the HB and the SC. That's how the '52 Hot Rod is wired.

12. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

Depends on guitar and pickups. One of my teles (an American Series) has an Antiquity neck humbucker paired with a Donahue Bridge. I originally used 250k pots but the bucker was dark and the Donahue okay. I switched to 500k pots and the Donahue sounds even better in this particular Tele. The 500k pots opened up the bucker. Since I use guitar, cord, amp and no pedals I use that volume control to control the sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.