Pots for a P90 + Single Coil Tele?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by BackwaterJunction, May 11, 2021.

1. BackwaterJunction

BackwaterJunction Tele-Meister

I'm considering swapping one of my tele's pickups to make something a bit different, with a P90 at the neck and a Tele bridge pickup with enough poke to keep up. The alternative to this is snagging the Seymour Duncan Little 59 off my Esquire and then giving that a single coil instead.

I don't own anything with P90s at the moment but I believe it's common for them to be used with 500k pots? Tele singles I know are usually used with 250k pots.

Does anyone have experience with P90s in a Tele to recommend which pots might bring the best out of both pickups?

Boreas likes this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would start with a 500k V pot.

I am currently fiddling with a DuoSonic that has gone from SC/HB to SC/P90 and now I have installed two S90 pups. But I redid the controls with a Dunlop 500k V pot and a Fender TBX tone control. The S90s make an entirely different guitar, but I am still learning the TBX circuit. In your case, I would just start with the 500k V pot combined with a normal T pot or possibly a no-load T pot.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    BackwaterJunction likes this.
  3. BackwaterJunction

So 500k Vol, 250k Tone?

Boreas likes this.
  4. Boreas

Yes, but the value of the T pot doesn't make as much of a difference as the tone cap. With the 500k V pot, I would probably start with a 0.047 cap, but have a 0.022 on hand if it darkens things too much with the T at zero.

The tapers for each are kind of a personal choice. Most people seem to prefer audio tapers, but I also see advantages of linear tapers. You just have to play with them to see which you prefer. Compared to the cost of pickups and guitars, pots are a cheap tweak to your sound and style.

5. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

6. BackwaterJunction

Sorry @Boreas just seen your edit. Definitely some options to look into, thank you!

I wasn't aware that the T pot value makes much less different. Electronics is not my strongest suit!

May also go for P90 and SD Lil 59 Humbucker, with 500k V pot, just as that's possibly more likely to be consistent across the two.

Boreas likes this.
  7. Boreas

Personally, I would stick with SC/P90. Adding a HB adds another variable with balancing the output. A HB is basically two SC pups and they put out more power to the amp. Either combination though will be an interesting combination, but if you want the the Tele to penetrate a mix, I would have a Tele pup in the bridge.

8. Boreas

You can also find S-90s which are P-90s in a Strat size/format which may be easier to mount. That is what I put in my DuoSonic. I paid $35 for a set of 3 from Guitar Madness. Unfortunately they have been on backorder for some time.

9. BackwaterJunction

You're quite right, which is why I originally thought P90 and Tele Bridge would be the better combo. And it spares me taking parts from another guitar!

You've certainly given me some good pointers, so thank you!

Boreas likes this.
  10. Boreas

The P-90 will give to bark and the SC will give you bite - especially with the 500k pot.

11. BackwaterJunction

What a great description, I could say the guitar was a bit of a hound!

Boreas likes this.
  12. BackwaterJunction

Thanks @E5RSY - sorry I missed the notification for this reply. Don't think I've come across a 280k before so guess I have to do some research.

Might ask the pickup manufacturer what they reckon as well.

Deeve likes this.
  13. Boreas

You wouldn't be the first guy to name your guitar Wolf.

14. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

I use the RS Guitarworks custom CTS 280k superpot for volume and a regular CTS 250k for tone. the t90 model, w/ p90 neck, Budz alnico3&5 and 10k Budz bridge. Recently did a true firebird neck and the 10k bridge, the 280k worked great. But I use the 280k CTS on everything. Nice smooth pot. Consistent specs.

Starting w/ two pickups (or three) that were designed to work together helps tremendously.

15. BackwaterJunction

Thanks, @stephent2 - think your point about pickups designed to work well together is a very fair starting point.

The P90 isn't too dark on a 280k pot?

16. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure how to answer other than, no,... why would I consistently use that pot if it was too dark?

To my ear and all my customers, the match is perfect. BTW, I never use a treble bleed cap, my aim is to have a full range from the tone control and a roll off of treble as you decrease volume.

17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I use a 250k volume, 250k no-load tone, in my modified SX Tele.

18. Boreas

For all you know, the 250k pot you currently have is actually 280k. Or 220k. Most pots have a tolerance of either +/- 20%. Some state +/-10%. They can advertise all they want, but until you measure every pot you touch, it makes it hard to compare. Personally, I feel making the modest jump from a measured 250k pot to a 280k would yield minimal results. If you really want to see what a change in pot values can do, I would start with a 500k - especially with P90s. Get to know your tone control. But hey, just try the new pups with what you have installed already - YOU may love it!

19. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

I build teles regularly with a SH combo. The key is a low Henry humbucker to more closely match a single could out put. My choice is a 2.0 or 2.8 henry. I generally use 250k pot for the combo to avoid an overly bright bridge with a .47uf cap.

Here's is video of the combo. Actually any of the SH videos on the channel are that combo.

Boreas and BackwaterJunction like this.
  20. BackwaterJunction

Apologies if it seemed like a silly question - of course it wouldn't be too dark if you are consistently using it and selling it. Very poor question on my part. I am a bit new to some of the details of electronics so am a bit unsure of some things but of course, I'd trust you to know what you're talking about in guitars you're making!

Your input has been helpful, so thank you :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.