Pot values for a 70s Tele Custom Partscaster

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by digitalMagnetics, Aug 3, 2021.

1. digitalMagnetics

digitalMagnetics TDPRI Member

I'm contemplating a doing a Tele Custom Partscaster with a PTB style tone control system to dial down the flub in the neck WRHB. But I'm curious about pot values.

It seems like one should use 250k volume and tone pots for the traditional tele single coil in the bridge and then 500k or 1meg pots for the neck WRHB volume and tone.

But it looks like most of the guys making custom wiring harnesses for these guitars just use 500k pots for both pickups. Is there some wisdom to doing it that way, or would I get more, er... normal sounding results with 500k for the neck and 250k for the bridge?

2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

As a general rule a pickup with more turns will not have the high range content of a more traditional low turn count pickup. A 500K pot will lose less high range content than a 250K pot. One can mix and match for best sound.

For instance, if a pickup has an *ice pick* quality a lower resistance pot may be beneficial. Likewise a muddy sounding pickup may lose muddiness with a higher resistance pot.

3. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've got a creamery wide range humbucker in a tele custom homebuild. I went with 500k volume and tone pots for it and then 250 k ones for the bridge. 70's ones had 1 megs for both....lots of choices here and I don't think it really matters that much. I, like most folks, prefer 5ook with humbuckers and 250 with single coils but even 1 megs with single coils works fine if you cut the tone and volume back

digitalMagnetics likes this.
  4. digitalMagnetics

digitalMagnetics TDPRI Member

Thanks! Good to know this is a relatively small detail in the scheme of things. With a 1meg pot, would you want a higher value cap to cut more highs? Or maybe the answer, once again, is "it depends."

Boreas likes this.
  5. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes, it depends on you. If using a 1M pot, I would probably start with an 0.047.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.