Pot broken apart?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Heavy Formvar, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Heavy Formvar

Heavy Formvar TDPRI Member

So recently I bought an Esquire style partscaster. As the knobses were loose and I didn´t find the tool to thighten them, I wanted to put some new ones onto the shaft. And suddenly, the shaft fell into the cavity! So I took the control plate off and realized the threaded collar -or how would I call the "metal plate" on the top of a pot- separated itself from the pot due to the the 4 little metal ears that got loose. So put the pot back together and my multimeter tells me there´s kind of a loose connection/fluctuating number...which is strange as the pup is a Duncan and the harness is an Emerson (supposed to be quality parts)?

Fretting out likes this.
  2. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Sounds like that knob took a hard hit and popped the pot apart. It's not really worth cobbling back together, and even if you did, it would not be reliable.

Pots are cheap; get a replacement and swap it out.

wevard, AAT65, Fretting out and 4 others like this.
  3. Heavy Formvar

I also thought about replacing it but then again didn’t know if it’s worth fiddling around with the wiring or just get a new harness.
    The loose connection appears when I move the cable round in the jack. The pup number jumps from 5.92k to 6k, but I think that’s kinda the tolerance area for a pickup...

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, Peegoo is 100% on the numbers.

I guess we'll all be hanging out with Hamsters for a while. Welcome!

5. Heavy Formvar

If Hamster’s not infected I guess I’m ok with that.

LutherBurger and boris bubbanov like this.
  6. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Welcome!

I had a pressure fit knob on an old gibson marauder that i tried to remove and the whole shaft came out

I figure when stuff like this happens it’s best just to replace especially with as cheap as pots are

7. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

Sometimes pots break, and they are after all, pretty cheap parts. Not worth diagnosing, just replace and get back to playing.

8. Heavy Formvar

Both pots have shafts that are a little loose. They still work though, would be strange if both went bad at the same time. The rear switch position cuts the tone circuit out and my meter also shows fluctuating readings there, so...

I found out that the loose contact thing is rather something with the jack. But the tone pot (CTS) could be swapped for a 280k VIPot for better taper. Maybe a good mod.

Interesting Philip McKnight vid about pup ohm readings. He also talks about fluctuating readings.

9. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

No reason to buy an entire new wiring harness, you're going to have to break out the soldering iron either way. Just buy a new pot and replace it. 10 minute job.

Heavy Formvar likes this.
  10. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

5.92k-6k is hardly worth discussing.

I'd start with re-assembling the pot (you might have damaged the wafer board?) to see if it functions correctly. If not, it's just a simple fix as already stated. It sounds like a quality harness. No need to replace the whole thing.

11. Heavy Formvar

Only the metal plate separated itself from the pot. Surprisingly it still works, but with kind of a "switch" function at 2 or 3 and you dont get much more tone when rolling it up. But I think thats a taper thing.

I meant the numbers fluctuate when the strings vibrate or when you play (or generally when the pup moves). It sounds quite normal though.

bender66 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.