Pot 500K I cannot identify - has unknown logo 500K

GreenMagicMan

Tele-Meister
Google searching on this stinks, cannot find any helpful info. I've had no name no logo pots before at least this one has a logo but I have no idea what it is.
It SHOULD be either Korean or Japanese vintage 80s. This is photographed today from my new (travel) dream guitar. An Arbor circa 1985 (???) headless guitar. This is about the only origin marker on the guitar aside from brand and 'licensed by Steinberger' and G505S sticker that is still visible on the plastic control back.

Anyone got anything on this one?

it's a 500K marked D500K pot and I can also read 4D below but then it's blobbed off with solder.

and the almost P and upside P logo in the square. That's all I can contribute here, stumped.

Thanks in advance for any comments!!

mystery pot Arbor guitar IMG_8175 copy.jpeg

GreenMagicMan

Tele-Meister
Thanks! Wow, nice find. I couldn't find that logo anywhere.
So Alieexpress... that's probably all Chinese made, which I would think means these are replacement pots from the originals (this is not a Chinese built guitar) so I guess trying to narrow down the year made and country is like many Asian vintage-y guitars a close to lost cause. They call the brand 'dp' - I guess that makes some sense.

I think this guitar is 1985 Made in Japan one year only. Or it could be made 1985-1988 and could be Korea made??

Will look more into it in case it sheds more light on the 'dp' brand.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I think I saw another ad for them stating Korea.

I did a google search for DP potentiometers and go to images and there's a few.

Shadows of my time doing research as an undergrad intern!

GreenMagicMan

Tele-Meister
Ok! I just did a lot of searching... and my guitar is obviously directly related to the Guild Crossbow. Edit: and the Burnside Lance. Same pots. So they are not Chinese pots, who knows what Aliexpress was intending to sell (not in stock) or make fake stickers to make it look like... a cheaper older Korean pot?? Both 80s guitars noted here also have engraved 'dp' logo in square on back of pots not a sticker.

If interested check this quite nice blog read here:
These (he says with lots of research) were made by Cort in Korea. Same Steinberger trem, same pots, same paint job, similar wiring and even his pickup description sounds like some similarities may exist.

So I guess I'm now going with circa 1985-88 made in Korea by Cort with their unique Steinberger license at the time. I guess this all makes some sense now, if I ever make further discoveries I'll post here or on a separate thread about my unknown named guitar by Arbor.

Last edited:

GreenMagicMan

Tele-Meister
Actually, I'm thickening my own plot again...
this shows same pots, same logo from 70s Bass made in Japan. More googling...