Posted: "I'll Take You Back" (Paisley content)

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by daves561, Aug 23, 2005.

1. daves561

daves561 Tele-Meister

2. gls500

gls500 Tele-Holic

Dang, I was gonna work on this tonight.

Good thing I didn't start it, because you did a MUCH better job than I could ever do.

Thanks once again, Dave!

3. daves561

daves561 Tele-Meister

Well, we'll give you another one to work on...let's see...oh yeah, could you do "Time Warp"? Shouldn't take too long. Thanks. :twisted:

4. gls500

gls500 Tele-Holic

I'll get right on that. I'll have it to you by Tuesday....

... but I didn't say which week/month/year.:D ;)

5. gls500

gls500 Tele-Holic

BTW - that solo has so much going on in it that I think it'll take a month of playing it to actually learn anything from it. YEOW! There are so many "outside" notes on it that are just so damn cool.

You must have one heck of an ear, Dave. How long did it take you to do this?

6. daves561

daves561 Tele-Meister

I just glanced at the properties for the Finale file: Created at 9:22pm, last modified at 11:28pm. So, a couple hours.

I must confess I'm a cheater. I have perfect pitch, which helps a bunch (I usually don't have a guitar around when I transcribe). On the other hand, I've been transcribing stuff since I was 8 or 9, and have worked out some techniques on a by-player basis. You can actually improve your transcription technique for a particular player by learning enough of their licks that you sort of get inside their head. With Brad, for instance, I can count on lots of pull-offs to open strings from the fifth and seventh positions. In this solo, he has some stuff where he's pulling off from the 12th fret. Rather than pick out every note, I just go for the relations, and then ask, "where would he go from here?"

The guitar has lots of nuances that can give away what's going on. Certainly 1st fret B string is going to sound brighter than 10th fret D string, even though they're the same note.

Some specific examples in this solo are the accidental bump of the G bender in bar 22. When I heard that little blip, I knew it had to be an open string. The crazy sixths stuff starting in bar 25 seems too fast to hear, but I know Brad has this thing for sixths on the A and G strings like that. (Check out "Me Neither".) In bar 12, there's a lot of Gs, so you have to figure out which ones are open strings, and which ones are 5th fret D string. If you listen closely to the third note of the bar, which is a G, you'll hear a prominent D harmonic, which you'd get from the 7th fret harmonic. Noticing that the note before it is an A, I figured the A must be 7th fret D string, followed by an open G, with the fleshy part of his finger accidentally slightly touching the open string, giving the harmonic ring.

So, it's kind of more sleuth work than music sometimes. But also, I'm just a cheater. :oops:

fenderbender4 and GorgeousTones like this.
  7. psychotelepathic

psychotelepathic Tele-Holic

Measures 6-9 just drive me nuts. It's not the technical side, but the freakin' timing...That swing, ahead of the beat stuff gets me every time...Brad makes that stuff roll like butter.

8. CountryShawn

CountryShawn Tele-Holic

The slippery stuff he did is easy to him - but that's just part of his particular feel. For someone else to get that same loose feel can be tough, but learnable over time - it just doesn't feel natural at first because it's someone elses "feel".

Conversly, if you were to do some of your own fast slippery stuff - others would have trouble getting a grip on it too, because it's working according to your internal metronome and feel. Your version wouldn't seem all that "outside" to you, but to others it would.
    It might just feel loose to you, but feel entirely on the clock so to speak.

I remember several years back trying to teach a fellow guitar player in a band a certain solo that I was doing, and while it was loose in feel to me, I played it the same way exactly ever time. He struggled immensely trying to get the "feel" part, although technically it wasn't all that difficult.

Having said that, this solo isn't nearly as loose and slippery as some of the stuff he does on Me Neither during the outro.

All these elements of music... isn't it fun?

Cheers,

Shawn

9. jjh37854

jjh37854 Tele-Afflicted

daves561 - wow, you have some serious knowledge and ears there my friend.

10. psychotelepathic

psychotelepathic Tele-Holic

Great perspective. That is what makes it fun. Brad is one of the best at being "slippery." EVH had that quality too...I've yet to hear a mortal player nail the Ice Cream Man solo with all the weird timings and slippery licks. it's so far behind the beat it could drive you mad. Same with Brad. I'll kee pickin' at it though!!

11. Eivindpicker

Eivindpicker TDPRI Member

Dave, you must have some outstanding ears. Can you play as good as you transcribe?

12. daves561

daves561 Tele-Meister

Mmm, I feel funny answering that question. I will say I can play everything I post at album tempo, with the exception of "Pick It Apart," which I haven't gotten beyond 170 bpm (album is 179).

On the other hand, I'm not coming up with the parts. The great ones are the ones who invent this stuff!

suthol likes this.
  13. Dr.TeleD

Dr.TeleD Banned

:D nuff said

14. GorgeousTones

GorgeousTones Tele-Meister

Stumbled upon this really old thread and I wished to give it (and Dave) recognition, as well as express my appreciation for the insights.. Oh, and huge thanks for all the awesome (and ridiculously difficult) Country transcriptions over at https://www.ohdave.com/guitar/
    Nearly all of the tunes from “the Nashville Guitar Album” are accurately covered in staggering detail. Once again I express my thanks!

daves561 likes this.
  15. daves561

daves561 Tele-Meister

Thanks! Still here after all these years. :)

GorgeousTones likes this.
  16. GorgeousTones

GorgeousTones Tele-Meister

Hey Dave.. Just out of curiosity, What caused you to quit posting transcriptions (around what appears to be 2003)?? I realize a lot of tab for similar material has become available via internet since then, perhaps that's part of it. Don't get me wrong man, Like I said before I'm grateful!! ;)

-Chao,
    Justin

17. daves561

daves561 Tele-Meister

Hi Justin, thanks for the kind words. I was doing a lot of transcribing from 2000 to about 2006, and sharing just about everything that I felt was good quality. There was an, um, issue in January 2006, that kind of scared me away for a while. I am a bit thin-skinned, I suppose. After that, well, there was the whole getting-married-and-having-kids thing, which commenced in 2008, and as much as I'd love life to go on full steam ahead, the reality is there are only so many hours in the day. It's been tough for me to juggle full-time day-job, family, and music, and then you blink and it's 2020 and you're replying to a thread that started in 2005. Crazy.

For now, I'm mostly a lurking spectator on the forum. Maybe when the kids are teenagers and they don't want me around anymore I can sulk in my studio and bang out some more transcriptions. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.