Post your World Series predictions right here!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Oct 21, 2014.

1. The Bone

The Bone Friend of Leo's

Yes. Every "walk off" celebrated at the plate? No. Overkill.

Also, going out of the dugout for a curtain call on the game tying home run in the first game of the World Series. No. Mr. October would be embarrased.

Which gets me to thinking. The definition of walk off has changed. It used to be when a team hit a home run and the defensive team simply walks off the field. Now, if the home team is up with two out and bases loaded, down by 3 runs, and a guy hits a double in the gap and the man originally on first around third and trying to score the tying run, with the pitcher backing up home plate and an errant throw allowing the original batter to score on a fantastically close play at the plate "team wins on walkoff double".

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Baseball is a game with lots of honor to tradition etc... with replay, arguments are over with... no more kicking dirt and getting all on the ump... that is a great thing (and I thought I'd miss the arguing!)

If bunting will lead to winning a game (or really making a difference) then, go ahead and bunt.

If it is 5-0 in the 9th with 1 out and nobody on and you drag bunt to try to break up the no hitter...

I'm willing to put the next fastball in the small of your back...

Since baseball is a game of futility and disappointment and angles and inches and things going mostly wrong... somebody who needlessly introduces it is gonna get punished by me....

3. Slidedude

Slidedude Tele-Holic

Yeah...here in the Bay Area we love our Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper. Wish they could be calling it here locally somehow - on TV, cuz they are already on KNBR...FS1 is lame.

4. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

How to avoid Joe Buck et. al. And listen to your homers...

1. Get the MLB At Bat app for your phone or tablet.

2. Open it and go to the headphones icon and choose your broadcast preference.

3. Play that broadcast through your stereo or computer speakers.

4. Mute the TV.

5. Use your DVR / Pause to sync up the tv video and the broadcast from your phone/tablet.

6. Enjoy Kruk, Kuip, Flem, and Miller! Or whomever the Royals radio guys are if that's your bent.

5. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wow, so don't try to win the game, and also make sure you concede the no-hitter by not putting forth the best effort to break it up? Got it.

So much for, 'it ain't over till it's over' I guess.

You're a smart guy Randy, but that mentality is what drives me crazy about baseball, which I admittedly have a love-hate with.

What are the rules if Peyton Manning is 20 of 20 with 6 TDs in a game? Should I tell my cornerbacks to continue to suck so that he can break some sort of record? That would be the sporting thing to do if football players had a baseball mentality. Thank god they choose to be men instead.

6. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

There are Baseball Rules, and there are The Rules of Baseball.

Although both of these worlds share some of the same nuances, there are vast gaps between what is legal and what is acceptable.

One learns these gaps as they play for years and years, and you always hear guys talking about playing the game "the right way".

If you are up by five runs late in the game, you do not tag up a runner from second to third on a fly-ball out. Why? Well, cause you just don't.

If you are up five runs, you don't steal second and third to pad stats in a game that is likely lost, and with no reason to move runners. Especially because if you happen to get caught, you hurt your team's chances for a comeback anyway.

If your team is losing 7-0 and the other pitcher has a no hitter in the ninth, you do not pinch hit your fastest runner and try to break it up with a drag bunt. Nor do you have your 5- hitter, who runs slower that the Molina brothers, bunt against a shift to break it up.

It is not always about conceding losses, and it is not always about giving up when it seems the situation is dire. It is about winning the right way, and letting the chips fall where they fall, in accordance to the structure and the history of the game.

Some folks don't get it, and I understand that.

But the guys that do get it, understand completely why we get it.

~syf

7. Slidedude

Slidedude Tele-Holic

Ah - got it. Great idea, thanks!

8. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

how many games left?

chris.

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

yup. ezackly.... I owe you a beer or five.

10. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Im glad that I dont get it. Smilarly, Im ok with not understanding juggalo culture. :lol:

11. stealyerface

Actually I wasn't even implying that you didn't get it. Because, I think you do kind of get it, after reading your posts.

I was more referring to the folks who I talk to around the water cooler that haven't ever learned the rules, or the etiquette, or the culture of the game, etc...

I am not sure what Juggalo Culture is, but a quick Google search reveals that I certainly have some brushing up to do on tattoo placement.

~syf

12. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

13. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

I predict.........................Someone will win and someone will lose.

14. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

My Johnny-Come-Lately prediction is KC in 6. My wife says SF in 5.

15. The Bone

The Bone Friend of Leo's

RE: bunting with a no hitter going:

I think this concept may be miscommunicated somehow. I've heard it too, and I've played baseball for most of my life and consider myself somewhere between "very in the know" and "definitely know more about the game than most people".

That said, if it is a tight game, let's say, to stretch it, 2-0, bottom of the ninth. Let's even go so far to say there are two outs. A single will bring the tying run to the plate.

I do everything in my power to get on base. If I think bunt is the best opportunity, I bunt. If I hit a Baltimore Chop, I run my ass off. If I get a clean hit and can possibly stretch it by aggressive baserunning, I do so.

Perhaps not so if losing 5-0. Definitely not bunt. But run hard, yes? I've been no-hit and it's "no fun".

Let me ask this: what if in the game that is a no-hitter, with you at bat in the bottom of the ninth, and you personally were a victim of a bad call at first base early in the game, where you know you were clearly safe but the ump called you out (not in the majors, with instant replay), don't you feel the no-hitter is a false no-hitter anyway? I still can remember as a teenager (when I was a good ballplayer and fast), some bad calls at first against me. None that impacted a no-hitter, but if I were in that particular situation, I would do anything within my legal power to get a hit.

16. stealyerface

See? I knew you got it.

Ab-so-lut-ly. Down 2-0, guy tossing the noey at you, and a chance to get the tying run to the plate, slap it, chop it, bunt it, anyway you can get the possible tying run with a chance, you do it.

Down 5-0 or even maybe 4-0 with two outs, and the pitcher just filthy, I would really have to do some soul-searching to break up a masterpiece he has dominated all game by bunting on him.

Now, I will admit to some pretty underhanded stuff, with the culmination of "not playing it right" happening in 1990, on our road to the SUNYAC Title.

It was not a no-hitter, but we were being shut out 3-0 in the top of the 8th inning. I am slow. Reeeeallly slow. Like, I pitch and play first base, and don't even usually get a chance to hit. So, I was charting pitches, which is what the game-prior starter did as part of the job. And I notice something interesting. So I tell the coach to let me hit, and I GUARANTEE him I'll get on base, and then he can pinch-run me, and maybe we start a rally.

So he buys into it, and as I am taking warm up swings (my 3rd AB of the year) the guys are starting to get on me a little. I get into the back of the box, and on the first pitch, a fastball on the outside edge, I loop a super-long swing (I am 6-7" tall) and smack the catcher's mitt with my bat on the first swing. His glove pops off, and the call is made.

Catcher's Interference. And I run to first.

They pinch-run me, kid steals second, goes to third on the bad throw, scores on a fly ball, we rally, and win the game 5-3, and go on to eventually win the SUNYAC Title for 1990

That is not playing the game the right way, and I totally get that. However, desperate times call for desperate measures, and in that instance, the baserunner was paramount.

In retrospect, do I look back on that play with a bit of reticence? I do.

Am I sorry it led to a rally and the wining of the conference championship? I am not.

~syf

17. The Bone

The Bone Friend of Leo's

That's a great story. I always believed in the Ty Cobb/Pete Rose style of play (for me). I'm was a banjo hitter with a ton of speed. Kick the ball out of the second baseman's glove kind of guy. I did some things I regret, too, fortunately I didn't cause anyone to get hurt.

18. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Agree. 5-0 is about the line I draw, that's just personal though.

If my team is still within a grandslam I'm probably doing anything I can to get on and start a rally. Now of course I'm trying my hardest to legitimately break up a no-hitter no matter what the score is...I just wouldn't lay down a bunt to ruin a no-hitter if my team's not in reasonable striking distance. Which again, to me is 2 outs and down 4+ runs.

Depending on the batters behind me I probably even wouldn't bunt to lead off that inning either. Despite being a leadoff hitter my junior and senior year, I wasn't very fast and wasn't much of a bunter anyway. Mainly a 'up the middle' type singles and doubles contact hitter.

19. The Bone

The Bone Friend of Leo's

The only way that this gets weird for me is some concept that says a bunt single is easier to execute than a clean hit. Like I've already said, I wouldn't bunt depending on the situation, but by the same token, it's hard to understand how a well-executed bunt for a base hit in even that situation is any different than a crisply hit single. Am I not supposed to try to run out a difficult grounder, or not be as judicious at the pitches I swing at? I can understand why it is confusing for anyone the concept of "not trying one's hardest to get on base". If I'm having a good day at the plate, I'm going to try just as hard on my last appearance as the others, regardless of the score of the game. I'll take 4-4 any day over 3-4.

20. stealyerface

typically the angst comes from the fact that when your team is up by a few runs, you are playing no-doubles defense, to keep the rally from starting with an extra base hit, and then the train starts rolling.

So you are on the lines, back behind or even with the bag, and thus, susceptible to the bunt.

That is why the bunt, in my opinion, is looked down on in that situation. If I happen to be playing you to bunt, and you push one out perfectly between us, and beat me fair and square with your perfect placement, I might look past it.

If I have a no hitter going against your squad, and my fellas are playing back, and you break up my no hitter by dropping it down in front of them, and my team is up big, I would advise against digging in if I am still out there when you get up to bat again.

~syf

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.