Palm Sunday.. I was on keys.

Fierce
Awake My Soul
Rising Son ( 2nd service only)
Homecoming
Battle Belongs
Raise a Hallelujah
"Awake My Soul" is a really good song.

The church choir I sing in recently did the song with our worship leader doing the vocal solo.

Afterwards, I spoke a word of encouragement to him and told him I liked his version better than the demo on Planning Center. I told him his version wasn't so "Frozeny." He laughed and reminded me that the demo version was sung by Travis Cottrell himself. So I am sure that our WL was honored that I favorably compared him to Travis Cottrell.

scooteraz

Friend of Leo's
I was told to play the Big Hymns, so...
Christ the Lord is Risen Today….
Years ago at a church in Champaign, IL we had a really big, beautiful pipe organ (Germans style) and it had been newly refurbished. It was to be played for the first time on Easter. Before the sunrise service, as people were filing in, the organist was playing all of the somber Good Friday music very quietly. The service starts and the Pastor shouts “He is Risen!, He is Risen, INDEED!!” Then we broke out the full pipe organ, all the stops pulled out, into Christ The Lord Is Risen Today”. All the other services had joyful music as people filed in.

The organist told me his thought was that until the pastor declared the Risen Christ, we were still in mourning over His death, at least from a liturgical view. I thought that one of the most moving musical services I have ever attended. The effect that music and the declaration had on me is still fresh today.

Unfortunately, I was the “music elder” at that church. The organ refurb was my project to oversee, as were the salaries and benefits of the music team. That also meant that my phone rang off the hook from folks that did NOT appreciate the liturgical idea behind that particular sunrise service. The senior pastor got an ear full as well that we did not play joyful music before the sunrise service. He would not let us do that again. I begged him to reconsider, but he would not.

Anyway, every time I see that hymn mentioned, I remember that service, and how powerful it was to me.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread….

edited for grammar….

Last edited:

ravindave_3600

Friend of Leo's
Years ago at a church in Champaign, IL we had a really big, beautiful pipe organ (Germans style) had been newly refurbished. It was to be played for the first time on Easter. Before the sunrise service, as people were filing in, the organist was playing all of the somber Good Friday music very quietly. The service starts and the Pastor shouts “He is Risen!, He is Risen, INDEED!!” Then we broke out the full pipe organ, all the stops pulled out, into Christ The Lord Is Risen Today”. All the other services had joyful music as people filed in.

The organist told me his thought was that until the pastor declared the Risen Christ, we were still in mourning over His death, at least from a liturgical view. I thought that one of the most moving musical services I have ever attended. The effect that music and the declaration had on me is still fresh today.

Unfortunately, I was the “music elder” at that church. The organ refurb was my project to oversee, as was the salaries and benefits of the music team. That also meant that my phone rang off the hook from folks that did NOT appreciate the liturgical idea behind that particular sunrise service. The senior pastor got an ear full as well that we did not play joyful music before the sunrise service. He would not let us do that again. I begged him to reconsider, but he would not.

Anyway, every time I see that hymn mentioned, I remember that service, and how powerful it was to me.

Great story. I was in a conversation this week about that very topic - our responsibility as worship leaders to respect the rhythms found in scripture and church history. Growing up in a good 1960s evangelical household I was unaware of the traditional calendar (Advent, Lent, Pentecost, etc) and only discovered it as an adult. Now I incorporate them all the time and we're far more likely to sing Joy the the World in August than the Sunday after Thanksgiving... and we sing the rest of the Christmas hymns during Chrstmastime, not Shopping Season.

I admit some folks freak out about that (one couple quit our church about it) but after people got used to the idea of celebrating Christmas from 12/25-1/6 and Easter (this year) 4/17-24 they started telling me about being focused, peaceful, unhurried, in tune, etc.

So Thursday night we sang When I Survey the Wondrous Cross and I'd welcome your organist's attitude ANY time.

Lineville65

TDPRI Member
Years ago at a church in Champaign, IL we had a really big, beautiful pipe organ (Germans style) had been newly refurbished. It was to be played for the first time on Easter. Before the sunrise service, as people were filing in, the organist was playing all of the somber Good Friday music very quietly. The service starts and the Pastor shouts “He is Risen!, He is Risen, INDEED!!” Then we broke out the full pipe organ, all the stops pulled out, into Christ The Lord Is Risen Today”. All the other services had joyful music as people filed in.

Unfortunately, I was the “music elder” at that church. The organ refurb was my project to oversee, as was the salaries and benefits of the music team. That also meant that my phone rang off the hook from folks that did NOT appreciate the liturgical idea behind that particular sunrise service. The senior pastor got an ear full as well that we did not play joyful music before the sunrise service. He would not let us do that again. I begged him to reconsider, but he would not.

I’d think people in Champaign, IL could “Roll With The Changes.”

Jakeboy

Tele-Afflicted
Our Worship Pastor was out on Palm Sunday as his wife just gave birth. I was asked to lead worship on acoustic. Drums and bass were there.

We played:
Lift high The Name of Jesus
Lord I Lift Your Name on High
At The Cross
Amazing Grace (fast New Orleans style)