Post your Parlor Guitars.

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Chick-N-Picker, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

After seeing so many pictures of exquisite old guitars, it was startling to see such a beautiful example of modern lutherie.

2. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Here's one for you. Couldn't find a decent photo of mine so borrowed one.

Keb Mo Bluesmaster.jpg

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Washburn, solid rosewood back and sides. Sitka top. 12 fret, just a cannon for it's size. Rings on forever.

That said, it's got ugly, gappy vine inlay, tuners that feel like they're gonna break every time I tune up, and a wide, skinny neck with a V profile sharp enough to cut.

I really want a Martin 0 or 00 in the same configuration, but apparently not bad enough.

This one cost nearly nothing, and I got it sorta by accident. My first acoustic was a cedar-topped Grand Auditorium Washburn that I bought super cheap from MF, back when they still allowed use of multiple coupons.

Back then I only had two guitars, and I played the snot out of it. Eventually I bought a Martin OM, and never touched the Washburn again.
    In the meantime I had learned that I really need a 1-3/4 inch nut for an acoustic and the Washburn was too narrow. A couple years later, I tried to play it again, and the bridge had lifted. It squealed a lot. It was barely still under warranty, and at that price point they only replace, not repair. Fine by me. Washburn only makes a couple of guitars with wider nuts, and this was one of 'em.

They didn't make the GA anymore, so told me to pick something else, snd when this one cost a couple hundred more, they said don't worry about it. Not bad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  4. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Nice! Nice space to play it in, too.

moosie likes this.
  5. hamerfan

hamerfan Tele-Meister

It was made in the 1880ies in Madrid, Spain as a Classical guitar. My grandfather bought it in the 30ies. It's got a new neck and top last year.

Attached Files:

6. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

I know the general current wisdom regarding a parlor guitar is any instrument having a smaller lower bout than a Martin 0 size qualifies. But if you go by a 1930s definition, a guitar with a 13" to `13 1/2" lower bout was considered a concert size. Going by that definition I only own one guitar which squeaks by as a parlor - my 1930s Regal. Although there is nothing to identify the guitar other than the headstock,its maple body indicates it could have been marketed as an Oahu. And ignore the bridge. When I got the guitar there was some horrendous homemade bottom loading contraption on it which I replaced with one a friend made for me.

url=https://postimg.cc/XGGzWCmv][​IMG][/url]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.