Post your Parlor Guitars.

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Chick-N-Picker, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

After seeing so many pictures of exquisite old guitars, it was startling to see such a beautiful example of modern lutherie.

2. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Here's one for you. Couldn't find a decent photo of mine so borrowed one.

Keb Mo Bluesmaster.jpg

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Washburn, solid rosewood back and sides. Sitka top. 12 fret, just a cannon for it's size. Rings on forever.

That said, it's got ugly, gappy vine inlay, tuners that feel like they're gonna break every time I tune up, and a wide, skinny neck with a V profile sharp enough to cut.

I really want a Martin 0 or 00 in the same configuration, but apparently not bad enough.

This one cost nearly nothing, and I got it sorta by accident. My first acoustic was a cedar-topped Grand Auditorium Washburn that I bought super cheap from MF, back when they still allowed use of multiple coupons.

Back then I only had two guitars, and I played the snot out of it. Eventually I bought a Martin OM, and never touched the Washburn again.
    In the meantime I had learned that I really need a 1-3/4 inch nut for an acoustic and the Washburn was too narrow. A couple years later, I tried to play it again, and the bridge had lifted. It squealed a lot. It was barely still under warranty, and at that price point they only replace, not repair. Fine by me. Washburn only makes a couple of guitars with wider nuts, and this was one of 'em.

They didn't make the GA anymore, so told me to pick something else, snd when this one cost a couple hundred more, they said don't worry about it. Not bad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  4. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Nice! Nice space to play it in, too.

moosie likes this.
  5. hamerfan

hamerfan TDPRI Member

It was made in the 1880ies in Madrid, Spain as a Classical guitar. My grandfather bought it in the 30ies. It's got a new neck and top last year.

Attached Files:

6. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

I know the general current wisdom regarding a parlor guitar is any instrument having a smaller lower bout than a Martin 0 size qualifies. But if you go by a 1930s definition, a guitar with a 13" to `13 1/2" lower bout was considered a concert size. Going by that definition I only own one guitar which squeaks by as a parlor - my 1930s Regal. Although there is nothing to identify the guitar other than the headstock,its maple body indicates it could have been marketed as an Oahu. And ignore the bridge. When I got the guitar there was some horrendous homemade bottom loading contraption on it which I replaced with one a friend made for me.

url=https://postimg.cc/XGGzWCmv][​IMG][/url]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.