Post your Parlor Guitars.

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Chick-N-Picker, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

That Ibanez I posted is supposed to have nylon on it, it sports a classical headstock, is diminutive in size, and otherwise just plain stinks as a guitar. Got rid of it last year.

2. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Ok, my 1915 Gibson L-1. No sense of scale in this pic. It is very close to the size of an 0 size Martin (lower bout is 13-5/8", just 1/8 larger than an 0), neck meets the body at the 13th fret. 24-1/4 scale. This old girl makes me sound like Riley Puckett with the Skillet Lickers. Brash, walking base runs that make any fiddler smile.

[​IMG]

Matt G, elihu and Chick-N-Picker like this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

As I mentioned earlier, the term "parlor guitar" is not well defined and covers a lot of different instruments. The term more or less originated in the 1800's with guitars that were intended to be played in the intimate setting of your home - maybe in your parlor. This was the transition period from gut to early wire strings - some of these guitars were braced for one, some for the other (having a tie bridge or pins didn't necessarily dictate which kind of strings). Mostly they had slotted headstocks because of the influence of gut strings, however a few had solid heads (and used banjo style friction tuners). They were usually strummed or plucked and most of the time were used of the popular music of the day. It was not uncommon for people to play guitars with other instruments - mandolins, autoharp, and often they were used to accompany singing.

Going up thru the 1800's guitar got bigger but still at the turn of the century a size 0 (thats a zero, also called an ought, not an oh) was about as big as there was. Martin's sizing scheme was numbers, size 5 and 2 and 1 and then when the got bigger 0 and two 0's and three 0's... Size 0 is roughtly 13-1/2 across the lower bout, 00 is about 14, 000 around 15. Other manufacturers used different naming schemes - "small concert". "concert", "auditorium", etc. I find it easier to remember the number scheme so thats what I use.

https://www.martinguitar.com/features-materials/sizetype/

I think the break point can be at 0 or 00, I choose to put it between them, but I won't be anal about it. The ones I build will have scale lengths of 24.5 to maybe 24.9, fairly wide flattish necks, 12 frets clear and slotted heads. They can be either ladder or X braced (or other combinations). None of that is necessary - mostly I just know a "parlor" guitar when I see and hear it. In the picture below the Stella is a bit bigger than the 0.

I think of true classical guitars as being more of a performance instrument - modern classicals are roughly the same size as a 00. Remember that they have grown up over the years, a lot of that is because classical performers wanted more projection and volume. As with any guitar, you can play any kind of music on a classical guitar, but I think they are optimized for the classical music of Bach and Sor and the classical techniques used to play them (I know you can shred on nylon and play Bach on your flying vee but...).

Its interesting to me that when I pick up a parlor style guitar there are some songs that just seem to fit. I was playing Christmas songs on mine last night - they sounded perfect. I like to play old timey and folky sorts of songs, and of course the blues fits many of them. My little Stella is a killer slide guitar. Parlors are not necessarily quiet guitars - I'm amazed how loud mine actually is (it was played in an auditorium at the Guild of American Luthiers listening session and a couple of people sitting in the back commented on how well it projected to the back of the room). Obviously they will be biased to the treble, but mine have a nice full bass that fits finger style play very well. I wouldn't take one to a bluegrass jam but almost anywhere else it would fit right in.

1210190945a.jpg

Chick-N-Picker, BB and Piggy Stu like this.
  4. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

again why this site is the best!

Skydog1010 likes this.
  5. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

I picked up this Simon And Patrick used a few months ago.
    Solid top, has a nice sound. I had a Seagull S6 previously but never quite bonded with it, maybe the wider
    nut/neck was a little too much. Anyway, the 'parlor' size is fine for my needs (playing/recording at home), I may
    put an under saddle pickup in it at some point.

simon patrick.jpg

Skydog1010, Chick-N-Picker and BB like this.
  6. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

Dude, I love Gibson L1's as I mentioned in an earlier post. That thing just has the look don't it? You can still find "some" of them for surprisingly cheap. Still out of my price range but cheaper than one might would think.

7. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

Here are a few more of my couch sitters:

1940 Martin R-18 (a 00 archtop), 1951 Martin 0-18, 2012 Martin 0-15M (long scale).

couch_sitters-2.jpg

elihu, Chick-N-Picker and BB like this.
  8. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

elihu, Chick-N-Picker and BB like this.
  9. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I wish I had the money that Trigger has earned (even what went up in smoke) I crack myself up.
    Who is Trigger you may ask, probably the most famous Parlor guitar in the world.

Willie's Trigger. Not mine (of course). Trigger-Willie_Nelson.jpg

10. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

708C61C7-46F7-4BEA-AFAC-D26C12E68DD8.jpeg A1366040-3B2E-4D88-BCC7-C63318C5DC38.jpeg 66D5412F-E2A3-449D-B09A-E00B4D2A82F4.jpeg

1998 Froggy Bottom P12. Adirondack Spruce over Rosewood with an ebony fingerboard. My dream acoustic come true.

11. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I have an affinity for parlor sized guitars myself. That's in no small part because of my family. Down through the generations, for a century at least, we've been a musical bunch. My grandfather played guitar. In the pic below (taken right around 100 years ago), Granddad is on guitar, his brother on the banjo...
    ca. 1920 - Granddad & Great Uncle Jesse.jpg

Around 30 years later, my Dad and his twin brother struck the same kind of pose, with Dad on guitar and my uncle on mandolin...
    ca. 1949 - Dad & Uncle Garlan.jpg

Obviously, both Granddad's and Dad's respective guitars are what we would call "parlors." I don't recall ever seeing these specific guitars myself, but there they are. A decade or so after this pic, Dad had a different parlor that I do remember. I made my first feeble attempts at playing guitar on his Stella by Harmony H929. I don't have a pic of his, but it was like this one...
    [​IMG]

Fast forward a half century, and I've bought parlor guitars of my own. The first was half a dozen years ago: Sweetwater was having a sale (a closeout sale, as it turns out) on Wechter guitars, one of which was a parlor sized, Nashville-tuned/high string guitar.
    04-22-2017 - Wechter-NV-5413E - 2.jpg

Then, 2-1/2 years ago, I gave up on trying to find an old Stella by Harmony and bought a modern lookalike (or close proximity), the Gretsch G9500 Jim Dandy...
    05-25-2017 - My Gretsch Jim Dandy G9500 - 1.jpg

Matt G and Chick-N-Picker like this.
  12. Caper

Caper Friend of Leo's

Simon & Patrick Woodland Pro Parlour H3 A3T

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick-N-Picker likes this.
  13. Chick-N-Picker

Found another Recording King. It is the RP-06 which is the single O vs the ROS-06 being the OOO. Other than that they are identical. Still torn as to which size I would prefer. The ROS-06 is about an hour from me but the mkst expensive asking price at $300. The RP-06 is of course 2 hours and a half from me but only asking $200 OBO. To be honest I'll just probably keep looking and eventually just end up never getting one and telling myself what's the point anyway.

Screenshot_2019-12-16-09-11-29-1.png Screenshot_2019-12-16-09-11-34-1.png
    Screenshot_2019-12-16-09-11-38-1.png
    This is the RP-06 single O.

14. Chick-N-Picker

This is the ROS-06 triple O.
    Screenshot_2019-12-16-09-20-24-1.png

15. pickaguitar

pickaguitar Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

OO

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Matt G and Chick-N-Picker like this.
  16. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

IMG_7207.JPG A little over 15 years ago, I bought this A&L parlor for my step-daughter. She never played it; probably wasn't a good choice on my part, but hey, I tried.
    Wild cherry; yeah, not a slot-head, but whatever. I currently have it strung "Nashville", with the high side of a 12-string set.
    Sounds? Ok, not amazing, but warm, comfortable. Maybe after another 15 years it will start to open up.

Has a nice, flamey maple neck.
    IMG_7211.JPG
    IMG_7219.JPG
    IMG_7223.JPG

My favorite parlor so far is the '68 0-16NY New Yorker that a buddy has. Almost sounds like a piano at times. Light as a feather.

17. zcostilla

zcostilla TDPRI Member

I wish I still owned my Larriveé parlor guitar. Ordered it in 2000 while I was deployed to the Middle East and it got to my house a week before I got back. Loved it dearly, with mahogany sides/back, a spruce top, and a 1 11/16” wide nut that was great for fingerstyle and bottleneck slide playing. The only odd thing about the Vancouver Island shop models was the clear pickguard, as I really like the tortoise shell ones they use since they moved to California.

18. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

20150510_133334-1.jpg
    1931 0021 & 0028 Martin

RJ

Matt G, Bill and teletimetx like this.
  19. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Emerald calls this their parlor model. It's a 12-fret, 24" scale, but it sounds more like an 00 or even 000. Particularly to the player because that offset sound hole really projects the sound right up at your ear when you're playing it. This is definitely comfortable as a laid back couch guitar, but I never seem to play that way, regardless of the instrument. I have to be sitting up, usually leaning a little bit forward to play... This is one of my two acoustics (the other is a Martin 000-15SM, also a 12-fretter) and I can't imagine ever letting either of them go. But I'd love to add a 00-18 of some sort someday...

[​IMG]X7 Coco (Ele) CS - 4822_8-1 by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.