Post your Parlor Guitars.

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Chick-N-Picker, Dec 9, 2019.

1. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

I have been lusting after a 12 fret small body Martin this year, but they just cost too much. It’s good to see some other options.

Chick-N-Picker likes this.
  2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Hey @Chick-N-Picker , long after I bought my Eastman, my wife bought a Gretsch G9511 from their Roots line. I just checked and apparently they are out of production. Made just a year or two ago. For about $300, you get a great player with solid top and bone nut. It is fantastic for the price. Not to be confused with the Gretsch Jim Dandy. Anyway, if you want a really good one for cheap, this is by far the best one I have ever played on anything less than $500. Does not have the vented headstock, but if you are going for nice sound this is a winner. A stunner in the "Appalachia Cloudburst".

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I've built single, double and triple oughts and have always made the break between single and double, but there really aren't any rules or definitions about parlor guitars like there are with other sizes. Here is my take on the three classic sizes. The 00 in the middle is based on the wonderful 00-17's of the Depression era, but it is significantly bigger than the 0 on the left.

IMG_5636.JPG

They are each wonderful it their own way.

teletimetx, BB, Piggy Stu and 3 others like this.
  4. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Afflicted

Martin Style 5 Tenor. Sounds and plays beautifully
    F630A1AF-EF90-4DF8-A262-4B92C29A6DDA.jpeg

trapdoor2 and Chick-N-Picker like this.
  5. dwh100

dwh100 Tele-Meister

Here’s my Martin 0-15 with its little cousin a 20s Martin style o uke.

Attached Files:

6. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I'm sitting here in envy of all you people. I've always loved parlor guitars but because of my GAS for other instruments passed up the good opportunities I had to get one. I know, I know, they're still around, but I'm past the collecting stage so I'm not going to look for one now. But I've always loved them and the sound you can get from a good one.

7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I have so much respect for anyone who could build such a thing. The time and patience. so inspiring.

BB likes this.
  8. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

Dude, those you built are beautiful. I only wish I could build things like that or had a friend who could.......:lol:

BB likes this.
  9. Chick-N-Picker

Is that not a classical? If so, do classicals count as parlor guitars?

10. Chick-N-Picker

All three are nice, but that 23 just has the perfect look with the 012 coming in a close second.

11. Chick-N-Picker

I've noticed these recording kings. They seem to stick to the "look" of what I think of a classical guitar, which I like. I'm going to look up some youtube videos of them just to see how they sound.

Edit: There is a Recording King ROS-06 near me. It is just like yours but has laminate mahogany back and sides, still has solid spruce top though. Looked up some videos and the tone seems to be basically equal or so very close that it doesn't matter, really. These guitars are 000 (ROS-06) instead of single 0 (RP-06). Which would not bother me. In fact, for all of what I want it for (blues, fingerstyle, bluegrass/folk, country), I'm pretty sure the 000 would fit me better.

And actually since these are 000 that join at the 12th, it is actually a bit smaller than a 000 that joins at the 14th and the body shape is identical to a single 0....which I like.

I am going to wait until after Christmas, reacess what I have. If it still available, and nothing I like better is near, I think I will make an offer.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    popthree likes this.
  12. Chick-N-Picker

^ Well dang, now I just found another Recording King ROS-06 in my state but instead of an hour like the other one it is 4 hours and 15 minutes away.....but still in my state. Long states will get you that way. Thing is they are asking half of what the closer one is. One is asking $300. Another is asking $150 OBO. Both appear to be in pretty good condition. If that one for $150 was close, I'd make a $100 offer right now. But 4+ hours is a long way and by the time I factored in gas it would be $170. Doubtful somebody asking $300 will comedown as low as the other person.

Just thinking out loud here. Curse this...evertime...something is too expensive or too far away.

13. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Here is mine (among others)

Martin 0-18VS: Is so good that it made me sell the rest of acoustic guitars I had, Some Gibson Dreads and just keep that one. Just the best thing I have ever played. So I keep it
    Banjo... traded it for a microcube and sometimes is fun (15 minutes). Just learning
    Republic Guitars Resolian Parlor: Now it has a 70's Gibson minihumbucker installed. Loud and tasteful. It is my traveling guitar right now. Is amazing, just that
    Alhambra 7P: My old faithfull and reliable spanish guitar (you call it classic). The guitar that has been more time than any with me... got it in 1989, not even serial number as is pre-87

Bottom... My ukelele and my daughters

[​IMG]

teletimetx, BB and Chick-N-Picker like this.
  14. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

NOt to me.... they are bigger

15. Chick-N-Picker

Yeah, that picture of that 0-18 is nice. I'm torn because I don't really know if I want a 0,00, or 000. Might sound crazy but I want one that is roughly the size of an old Gibson L1. I can't get that scene out of my head where Chris Thomas King in O Brother Where Art Though is leaned up against a tree playing Hard Time Killing Floor Blues. I have always been drawn to that scene and song.

I want one that is the right size to get that imagine and old delta sound but also be fingerpicked and just be overall nice and small. I do know that 12 fret 000 are smaller than 14 fretters and have the correct shape, and is a drastic difference to a dreadnought haha. I do kind of consider 12 fret 000 parlor guitars. I know I'm way overthinking it but it's what I do.

16. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

I gave 200 for my '16' out the door at a local shop. The bridge was lifting. I did a reset on it and its been trouble free and wonderful ever since. I think I have a recording of it. I'll look forit if you are interested.

17. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

pg.jpg

BB and Skydog1010 like this.
  18. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

Here is my Crafter TAO 50. TAO50.jpg

19. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Ibanez 135 FB_IMG_1456409543668.jpg

20. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

See what I like about this site is I learn something new most days.

So I need schooled on "Parlor Guitars". I always assumed that a parlor guitar was a guitar that sat in the parlor for playing when company came over. I have always assumed it was a nylon or catgut strung instrument like a classical guitar. Small shoulders and the neck attached to the body at the 12th fret.

Skydog1010 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.