Post your Parlor Guitars.

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Chick-N-Picker, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

Always wanted a parlor guitar like they used to play back in the 20's & 30's. The blues sound especially good on them. I actually had one for a short while but it's gone and a long story.

So what do you got? Post your make, model, and year if you know it. I know some of these can be picked up for really cheap....like $100 for some old Stellas.....I might hunt one down.

Skydog1010, idjster and Fretting out like this.
  2. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Avid parlor player.....

Larrivee 2007 P03 and Alvarez 2015 AP66

[​IMG]

Yamaha 2019 CFM1M

[​IMG]

The Larrivee has a K&K Pure Mini, the Alvarez has a Fishman undersaddle with a big ugly control box and the Yammi has their own K&K Pure knock off with volume and tone pots hidden in the soundhole. Great cuddling and writing guitars.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

There are minis and parlors and we were looking at them all a couple of years ago.

My wife was after a small guitar... we started out trying all the small Taylors and Martins and were A/B’ing them for days.

She then found an Eko Evo. None of the other minis we tried it against could get close to its clarity and tone. They all sounded more congested and boxy in comparison.

This video really captures the tone we are getting from it. Esp. the compact, rootsy fingerpicking blues sound which I was always after.... 0:40s on.

I have essentially ‘acquired’ it and it has done a few recordings here and it has superb focus and no boomineess like my dreadnoughts. The plugged in sound is amazing, esp. given the price.

If there was one downside, it’s that the satin/matte finish can make brushing noises from forearms, etc. when recording with a close mic. You can certainly play/work around this but is a reason I generally do not go for satin finished acoustic instruments.

Just keep trying a few... one will be a standout. For us, it was this lesser known brand Eko.

Pedulla-2007 likes this.
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

If your looking for a parlor guitar and want some recommendations and
    If you can get into the mid price range (3-400 dollars) you can get a decent tanglewood they are based in the uk and made in China I’ve never heard of them till recently when my local shop started carrying them but apparently they are pretty well known in the uk
    I think they are one of the best bang for the buck acoustics available now
    I ended up getting a upper mid priced orchestra model copy it has a wonderful soft v neck and even the cool diamond volute, I actually went into the store to check out martins but the tanglewood sounded so much more alive than Martins that were twice it’s price

5. sk25

sk25 Tele-Meister

Telleno, a mysterious brand I've been able to find out almost nothing about. Looks sort of like a Stella, but a lot of guitars at the time did...doesn't mean it is one. "Steel Reinforced Neck" points to a Stella connection, though. Timeframe - 40s to 60s. Note the painted on triangle fret markers and the tiny little nails securing the tuner...plate...things to the headstock. Picked this up for $13 at a garage sale. It was all I had on me, and the guy went for it.

It holds tune amazingly well (a good thing since the tuners are so stiff they almost refuse to turn), the body and neck are solid as a rock, and the action is shockingly low for what should be a cheaply made fifty to eighty year old acoustic guitar. Easy to play, sounds alright.

Telleno 1.jpg Telleno Headstock.jpg Telleno back.jpg

It also has this stamp in the soundhole.

Telleno Stamp.jpg

"Decatur Music Co.
    204 Ferry St. Box 1645
    Decatur, Ala."

There is another stamp off to the side of the first one that says "MADE IN USA", but I couldn't get it to show up well; it's very faded. I checked out the address, but apparently it's now the site of a courthouse, and I can't find any mention of a Decatur Music Company online.

Matt G, tintag27 and Bergy like this.
  6. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My 1915 L-1 archtop is small enough to qualify...but it really ain't one. I had a no-name from the teens or twenties for a few years.
    My take on vintage parlour is to go for the trapeze tailpiece type. The glued on bridges are a weak point.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  7. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

Here are some 12 fret Martins, '23 0-18, 2012 0-18VS, 2017 00-17S.
    12_fretters.jpg

elihu, Piggy Stu, soul-o and 3 others like this.
  8. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

My little Yamaha parlor that I picked it up for little to nothing. It is dated from what I can tell around 1970. It is not a red label but does sound really good.

IMG_1594.jpg IMG_1597.jpg

vashondan, JL_LI and studio1087 like this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

A Goodall parlour guitar is on my "when you win the lottery" list.

1 7/8" nut. 25" scale. The one in the video has a 12 fret neck but you can order it in a 14 fret neck, too.

Oh, one more spec. $8K :(

tintag27 and Pedulla-2007 like this.
  10. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Two of the three that I have built. These are both lutz on top, the one on the left is Braz, on the right Mad rose.

IMG_2970A.jpg

IMG_2974.JPG

The first one was made for my daughter, the blue darner dragon fly is her spirit animal so that graces the head

IMG_0431 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2972A.jpg

I also have a 1932 Stella that is more or less parlor size. I just did a thread on it

IMG_5765.JPG

Several other old small bodied guitars have crossed my workbench over the years - this is a 1886 Bently parlor

IMG_4572.JPG IMG_4579-1.jpg

A lovely old 00-17 (I don't consider double oughts as parlor guitars but I had show the picture. The contents of the case were like a time capsule to 1940

IMG_3432.JPG

There have been a couple of Washburns and a few odds and ends. I have a soft spot for small guitars

Matt G, tintag27, Jerry J and 13 others like this.
  11. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

While I don't have a 'classic' parlor guitar, I do have two that sort of qualify. The first is my Journey Overhead OF420B (a travel guitar with a removable neck that fits in a carry-on compliant case. The picture is stock - I don't have a photograph of mine.

The second is my Emerald X7 - which fits very well into the parlor guitar specs, save for the fact that it is 100% carbon fiber. BTW - I find that a parlor guitar works very well for me - I like the smaller sizes much more than a dreadnaught. I personally feel that it's a big mistake that dreads have become the default standard size, as to me they are not particularly useful for accompanying a solo singer/player and don't fit particularly well in a group setting, except one in which everybody is trying to drown out everybody else.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

SK, the "steel reinforced neck" stencil looks exactly like the ones on Harmony's from the 50's. I know that Harmony did produce guitars under several different names including Stella (not the same as an Oscar Schmidt Stella) and Sovereign

IMG_5236.JPG

studio1087 likes this.
  13. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

My Godin Woodland Pro Folk. She joins the body at the 14th fret so perhaps not strictly a parlor, but she is old-timey and she does sound nice.

IMG-0464.JPG

tintag27, MrGibbly and studio1087 like this.
  14. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

Recording King ROS16 on the left....has a neck the size ofa 2x4. Sometimes my favorite acoustic.

Eko 60s era? On the right...I really dont know much about it but it sounds unique and I'm fond of it.

1209191807.jpg

Chick-N-Picker and studio1087 like this.
  15. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

I had a Morgan Monroe M-00-TBV for a parlor/blues type guitar. I liked it well enough, cheap and cheerful, and a comfortable player. I ended up trading it for a set of racks for my pickup truck.

But I still have my first guitar- a 66ish Regal R-200, bought for my 11th birthday. Its taught several nieces and nephews how to play, and sits in the corner available for the grandkids to play when they visit.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

16. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

I had a Santa Cruz Firefly, just a tad bigger than the PJ. Sold it to help pay for my son’s college tuition. Too bad he dropped out and got a job a Trader Joe’s... He recently told me at TJ’s he gets raises twice a year, annual Christmas bonus, 401k, and full medical/dental/vision coverage. His friends with the degree in Art History are getting about $14 an hour with nothing else while he’s getting $18 after 5 years.

17. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

F93015F7-19A3-44C1-B9BF-2EE2E8454032.jpeg

Picked up this Eastman last year as a secondary acoustic. Parlors are real comfortable. No regrets with this one!

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Another Eastman E10P. A lifer for me. I cherish this parlor: IMG_4183.JPG IMG_4184.JPG

Chick-N-Picker and studio1087 like this.
  19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I think it's ok to call a 00 a parlor. That's a beautiful Martin. I play 00-15's from time to time at Wade's (a very cool little Martin and eclectic guitar shop in Milwaukee) and it's just heavenly. The mahogany top adds depth and feel. Warm!

Chick-N-Picker likes this.
  20. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

1840s Markneukirchen with its original coffin case, currently residing with Dan Erlewine...awaiting restoration.

Attached Files:

trapdoor2 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.