Post Your Favorite Acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by noah330, Dec 7, 2011.

1. donh

donh Tele-Afflicted

From my buddy Lance, gone but no way forgotten. We built things for each other:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tim also builds a fine guitar, but here is me playing Lance's at Tim's get-together:

[​IMG]
    heh.

2. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

My much upgraded 1988 Dobro Duolian......

[​IMG]

As far as performing live, getting a great live sound, and consistently inspiring me to play and sing to the best of my ability, my Wechter Pathmaker, modified with JJB bridge plate transducers in the stead of the stock piezo bridge element, and mixed with the stock Artec soundhole pickup and internal mic, is second to none at ANY price. I had to find a stock photo, cause i don't have a working camera, but it looks just like this.....fugly but functional!

[​IMG]

3. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Well as of last night, its this one...

[​IMG]

But it may well just be that its time for strings on my Huss & Dalton (posted here before).

They have two different voices, but last night EIR/Stika was what struck me.

4. ronski

ronski TDPRI Member

image-172657381.jpg

A 1959 Gibson LG-1, warm spring sunshine and a cold beer, HEAVEN !

5. Jason G

Jason G Tele-Meister

I love James Goodall Guitars and have a pair that are nothing less than superb!!
    I also like McPherson guitars!! Perhaps the finest instruments on the market!!!

6. thorton077

thorton077 Tele-Afflicted

Seagull S6 original
    might not be fair because it's my only acoustic, but it sounds great and is unbeatable for the price.

7. tonedreamer

tonedreamer Tele-Holic

guitarboat.jpg

8. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

9. Steveareno

Steveareno Tele-Afflicted

That L7-C is super fine. How do you like it? I've been lusting after one for a few years. Maybe I'll be lucky and find a reasonably priced used one.
    Swang on,

10. Steveareno

Steveareno Tele-Afflicted

Kalamazoo 1937 archtop. Essentially a Gibson L50 without a truss rod. Sounds and plays great. Love it. Sorry for the fuzzy pic. I'll try to re-shoot.
    Swang on,

[​IMG]

11. W4rthog

W4rthog TDPRI Member

Well, it's not my favourite sounding guitar, but it's definitely got the most mojo of any axe I own. I usually end up picking it up instead of another guitar because just one look at it and I can't keep my hands off it.

It's a late-50s or early-60s Hofner 496 Western, one of their top of the line models at the time.

It has a lot of sentimental value because my father bought it new with the earnings from his first job as a teenager and played it for over 40 years before passing it on to me. My earliest childhood memory is of him picking Dylan's "Baby let me follow you down" to me on this guitar.

It's kind of a strange guitar; spruce top, laminated flame maple sides and a laminated arched flame maple back with no bracing. The neck is a cleverly-disguised bolt-on, the fingerboard floats over the body and actually sticks out over the soundhole. It has a crazy tight fingerboard radius, even tighter than a vintage 7 1/4" tele neck radius but with a wider acoustic string-spacing. Nice ebony fingerboard, although it is almost comically over-bound with mother-of-toilet-seat. Combined with the inlay in the pickguard, position markers, tail and headstock this guitar has got a stupid amount of bling. But I kinda love it, it's just a total oddball.

[​IMG]

That's the only shot I have of it online at the moment unfortunately... so here are pics of other 496s that are pretty much identical:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: oh, it also features the whacky Stauffer-Legnani neck adjustment system. This enables large adjustments to neck angle/action to be made while the guitar is strung and tuned, with minimal effect on the tuning of the guitar, thus enabling performers to vary their action between songs. The idea was you might want a higher or lower action different for playing styles. Strange idea, but you can read more here: http://www.euroguitars.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35&sid=e1ba2b84e218841a48f60df48fc4b5db

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  12. Rpjensen

Rpjensen TDPRI Member

image-1873370781.jpg

Not sure that this picture gets attached. prof how to if it didn't). 84 D 28, 74 Banzer 12 string, 69 National Jumbo, & 73 el Degas- highly modified by luthier Steve Milhouse. And, btw, 73 Ome Single X banjo. Love 'em all, but the el Degas/Milhouse is my favorite.

13. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Tele-Meister

'Coustic pron! I'll play.

Merrill C28. Taylor 855. Kanile'a 8-string Uke. 1951 Gibson A-40 Mando. Kanile'a Super Tenor Uke. Grandpa's early 1900s violin (no idear how to play it).

Attached Files:

14. stephenyi

stephenyi Tele-Meister

2 of my favorite acoustics:
    2000 Taylor LOTF 810B (Engelmann Spruce and Brazilian Rosewood)
    2009 R. Taylor Style 3 (Adirondack Spruce and Indian Rosewood)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. nrps

nrps Tele-Meister

My Martin's HD-28 and J-15

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I can't upload a pic right now, but my most faithful, my favorite, my best girl has to be my Seagull S6 original. I think they are some of the most under rated and overlooked beasts out there. I work on the river and away from home a good 8 months a year. My stuff is exposed to the harshest of conditions, and the Seagull never gives any issues!
    I've packed many brands out here, but she's a workhorse.

17. Old Has Been

Old Has Been Tele-Meister

My favorite acoustic guitar is my 1976 Martin D-18 on the right. Found it in a pawn shop about thirty-five years ago. Still had the tags on it. Rings like a bell. The one on the left is a 1986 D-28. Has a good tone, but nothing like the D-18.

[​IMG]

Inasmuch as a couple folks have posted pics of their mandolins, too, I figured I'd do the same. The 1921 F-4 helped me get through college, playing in a band on the weekends from 1971-72. Will always hold a warm spot in my heart. The other is a 1989 F-5L.

[​IMG]

18. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Here is my baby... Takamine G406S New Yorker. I am a bit new to the acoustic world but I thought this played really well and is actually pretty boomy for the size of it.

Honorable mention is my Epiphone FT-200 Bicentennial that I play 9/10 at home because its a good solid playing/sounding guitar that is already dinged up so I dont have to worry about it.

Attached Files:

19. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Love your Mandolins and I am gassing for one real bad but all I can find around my area are the cheap Fenders/Samicks/Washburns and so on... Those pics make me think that continuing to hold out is the way to go:D

20. SteveO

SteveO Tele-Holic

This is by far the best acoustic I have ever played,especially after an extensive restoration by Rocco at Mandolin Brothers. Neck reset,bridge plate,refret and the top flattened from it's previously ski slope profile due to so many loose braces. My 1943 J45.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.