1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Post your defunct band... RIP

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Twin and Twang, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Zenzeypher

Zenzeypher Tele-Afflicted

I couldn't find many pictures really, only one of a charity gig in a sports hall....peeps were all sat down ~ I like it when theyre up in your face.

Just recently reunited with drummer and bass player after 2 years and started up the same project..

Attached Files:

2. JackP9284

JackP9284 TDPRI Member

Our band was called

'Something To Save' Usual story, band drama. Too many egos......

3. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I play with a kid now who uses a set of clear and black corkscrew Ludwig 'vistalites'.
    He's so proud of them! They do look cool.
    Like this only clear and black ... http://www.led-zeppelin.org/joomla/images/stories/gear/ludwig_bw_vista_01.jpg

4. grandstick

grandstick Tele-Holic

Right out of High School, my friends and I had a punk band named "Rectal Scream & The Gagging Maggots" - we never got booked in any of the local clubs for some reason... .

Subsequently, I entered a career as a classical musician. :p

5. twiggymac

twiggymac Tele-Holic

Hey i'm going to umass right now! havn't been in a band yet, but im hoping to find some people here (sophomore year), just not sure how to go about it...

6. BigMike

BigMike Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Cactus Jack (UK) 1984, split u in 86, sadly singer John Hillier passed away a few years ago and I don't really know what happen to the rest of the guys....

Playing my trusty Chandler Schecter through my MKIII wood and cane boogie as recommended to me by our own Big John Stannard back then....

Good times..... I loved being in this band :lol:

Wendel Adkins Song - Cowboy Singer

For The Good Times

7. comebackkid

comebackkid Tele-Meister

Something totally different than what I do now (I play in a country/rock/blues cover band). But I used to play in a hardcore (punk) band called Fist Of Fury.
    After 10 yrs I decided to pull the plug; it was time for something new.

Almost a year ago: (TELE content)

Video for "Think Ahead"; from our farewell show:

Here are some pics of the 'Flaming Telecaster' I used for 8 years playing in Fist of Fury:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

How did they fill the sports hall with lime Jello?

As for me, my old college bar band occasionally reunites, 25+ years down the road, so not technically defunct.

Here's an original project I was in, however. Called The Ya-Yas, this band was out of business before the demo was recorded. My friend Tina had joined them as a second singer and rhythm guitarist. Up until then, they were just bass, drums, and singer. The bassist and the singer were married.

Tina called me to audition as lead guitarist. They loved me, but I thought they were weird and inexperienced, and declined. Right after my audition, the drummer announced he was re-joining the Army. Then the bassist and singer decided they were getting divorced. However, they had come up with a few songs, and the two singers had gelled into something interesting, not just your usual lead-and-backup thing.

Before the band fell completely apart, they wanted to document what they had become, and so begged me to come back, learn the tunes, and engineer a demo recording for the band that never would be. Learning my parts wasn't tough; most of it was what I had come up with off-the-cuff the night I auditioned. The drummer had to leave for the Army before we recorded him, so we tracked to some ancient drum machine, just to get the instruments down on tape before the bassist left for his new, imagined, fun-in-the-sun life in California.

Then, Tina and I got a drummer friend to recreate the original drummer's parts, and I scrubbed the drum machine. Somewhere along the way, The Ya-Yas played a single show, a four-song set at someone's rooftop house party. By the time I finished a few overdubs and mixing, the band had completely disipated. However, Tina and I agree that what we came up with was some of the most interesting, fun, and creative music we ever played together. In hindsight, I have often wondered what would have happened if I had kept a more open mind and joined the band after my audition. Maybe the other members would have stayed commited and we could have turned the diamond in the rough into something good.

Sadly, there are no pictures of the band, but I ripped my old cassette copy of the demo to MP3 few years ago. So, I give you, The Ya-Yas soundclick page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=814589

If anybody knows what happened to Bill & Aida from Philly (mid '80s) tell them Rich and Tina want to hear from them.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  9. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

10. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

Tip: Find somebody with a house or off campus place to rehearse at, or else nothing will work. Ask me how I know:rolleyes:

Post to craigslist for musicians wanted, or just start talking to people who play guitars outside...they usually know people!

11. kyle1167

kyle1167 Tele-Holic

No photos. Played bass in all of them.
    First was "Prawd", hardcore stoner metal trio.
    A lot of fun but super dysfunctional. During our short time together the the guitarist and I had talked of replacing the drummer, the drummer and guitarist had talked about replacing me, and the drummer and me wanted to get a new guitar player.
    Next was "Bovine America", another trio.
    All original songs except for two, Take Five by Dave Brubeck and Great Cop by Fugazi. The guitarist ended up moving out west, still keep in touch with him.
    Last was "An Idea For Doing", just the drummer from Bovine and me.
    We would have different friends set in and I would occasionally play guitar. He ended up dating a very good female friend of mine. Knowing them both very well I knew it would end bad and I tried to warn them. It ended worse than I thought it would and I no longer hear from either one.

12. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.