Post your best example of Delta/Country blues.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Chick-N-Picker, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

Neither is the Texas or Piedmont blues I posted but it's all country blues. Much of what is posted in this thread is not Delta blues. OP says he meant Delta or any country blues from my understanding.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

you're right

3. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Bonafide Delta Blues

4. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

It really is hard to top that. The way he looks, his voice. He doesn't even play an instrument, which things like that, at times, can across as pretentious or somebody just trying to say "Hey look how cool I am, I'm going to sing a song and just clap".

It's just something special and unique about Son House.

Plus the lyrics. True loneliness. When it says your mama will talk about you, that is as blue and cold as it can get. It really is hard to find a true friend or true love. Even though it says don't mind it, it is really hard to do if you understand this song. Thank you for posting this and reminding of it. I was on a Son House run some months back but had forgot about this one, some how. Don't think I'll be forgetting it again.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    elihu likes this.
  5. Chick-N-Picker

Really cool the way he does his lyrics on this.

6. Armo

Armo Tele-Holic

Georgia. Yes I know. Thanks.

7. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe you'll like Vera Hall too. She was born in Alabama and has one of the best voices I've ever heard. Moby took her recording of Trouble So Hard and remixed it for his Natural Blues back in 2000.

8. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

Anything by Tony Joe White.

Kebmel likes this.
  9. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Son House.

Death Letter

YouTube.

10. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

11. Chick-N-Picker

@Vibrolux59 I have loved the rural blues as long as I have liked music but, you seem to be into the blues and since your older than me you probably have listened to more of it than I have so far.

I am looking for guys that played as close to Robert Johnson as possible from the 20's to 40's. It's funny he is called Delta blues because he seriously almost plays in entirely differnt style when you listen to him compared to other old bluesmen. Much more sophisticated and structured much differently.

Am I just chasing a rabbit that is only a fairytale and nobody else played like Robert Johnson? Because so far I have not found a guy that is remotely close. Was he that far ahead of everybody?

If there are no old bluesmen that played close to the "unique" style of Robert Johnson then feel free to include any people from 1950 and up that does just for fun, I can still give them a listen.

Edit: I forgot about Johnny Shines on acoustic. He is probably the closest, old bluesman, I have heard to Robert Johnson.

Vibrolux59 likes this.
  12. Chick-N-Picker

Here is Johnny Shines, a friend to Robert Johnson, doing what is certainly an ode to Hell Hounds On My Trail. I can't believe I forgot about this guy and this song but I only ever heard it once before. This song has some great lyrics.

Quick bio, he didn't record his first record until 1946 but goes all the way back to playing in Memphis as a kid and then meeting Robert Johnson in 1932 on the Arkansas Delta side of the River. He then toured with Robert for 2 years, leaving just before his death. He continued to play the south then settled in Chicago and recorded in the 40's & 50's with no success. Those records are apparently unrealeased (dang). Left music, and he started working construction. Started playing in bars again, and was discovered, again. Made some records and moved to Alabama where he went on to be an important role to the blues and was inducted into the blues hall of fame.

Vibrolux59 and EllroyJames like this.
  13. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Robert Johnsons step-son

elihu and Vibrolux59 like this.
  14. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

Tommy Johnson, Charley Patton, Lonnie Johnson, Son House, Kokomo Arnold, and Skip James are all bluesmen that preceded Robert and would have been an influence on him but of course, Robert was unique no one else sounds like him. He is the definition of delta Blues along with these other names. Most of these guys played all kinds of music besides blues, gospel and the other popular tunes of the day. Robert's "Hot Tamales" is not a blues for example. When these guys played fish frys, jukes, and house parties it was probably mostly blues but when they worked as entertainers for the more diverse crowds they played the popular tunes of the day as well. The term Delta blues didn't exist back then it's a term created by musicologists to describe these guys and some others from the Delta region who came up under these influences. Take Robert Lockwood Jr. posted above. There's a lot of that Delta style in his music right at the very heart of it, even when he's comping "jazz chords" playing electric with a full band. Same with Lonnie Johnson, T-Bone Walker could break into that style at times as well. You won't find anyone that sounds like Robert Johnson that I know of.

EllroyJames and Chick-N-Picker like this.
  15. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

Yeah Chick-N a great big record collection that included blues, rhythm & blues, and jazz along with an eclectic collection of pop stuff moved into our home when my mother married my stepfodder when I was 5, so I've heard some stuff. It was all subliminal of course except the party records I'd sneak out when no one was home until I started playing guitar and went to see the Paul Butterfield band in '67. I was primed with Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Wynonnie Harris and Louis Jordan records so it all felt natural and familiar. Then I started digging in, reading the books listening to the records, and asking questions. If you're on FaceBook you should join The Real Blues Forum, a vast source of information and history.

Chick-N-Picker likes this.
  16. Chick-N-Picker

I'm familar with all those guys and pretty much everything you said but thank you for taking the time to reply and trying to help me. I love Son House and Skip James' Hard Time Killing Floor is one of my favorite songs and is really fun to play in open D minor or in E in standard.

I figured Robert Johnson was one of a kind, and a complete inovator, but also thought possible that it could be somebody I didn't know about. I guess Johnny Shines is as close as we can get, and he's dang close. However he still has is own flares, which I like.

Thank you again. If I find anybody else that is really great or a great song I will continue to post them here, for at least the time being.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  17. Chick-N-Picker

Just seen your second post. I am not facebook but if I ever make one I will join that. I remember becoming obsessed with the early blues stuff when I was maybe 13/14. Thanks to the internet I was able to find so much so fast. Robert Johnson, Son House, Blind Wille Mctell, Blind Willie Johnson, etc, etc. I'd listen to certain songs over and over like Dark Was The Night, John The Revelator, Soul Of A Man by BWJ. Of course RJ was always on the cycle. Then I'd be into something else for a while and then I'd get a spark and be back into it extra heavy on & off ever since. I will never leave the blues. It's formed me too strongly. Country, blues, and bluegrass is the core of my musical foundation. And all 3 are so related, they are brothers to each other.

Vibrolux59 likes this.
  18. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

Many including myself believe RJs records are sped up, whether intentionally as the practice was used or just by the nature of the equipment. If you play him on a reel to reel with a speed control and slow some of those tunes down to pitch they sound less unusual to my ear.

19. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

My defining interest in the blues is 1948 forward Chicago, Memphis, Texas, and West Coast I'm more knowledgeable in that area than country blues but the significance is not lost on me. Blues is a music of history and tradition so if you don't know where it came from you have nothing. Sounds like you know what you like and the internet is an amazing resource. It wasn't that easy 50 years ago.

20. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

EllroyJames likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.